Farmerjan's journal - Weather

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Getting a cleaning crew in to do the heavy work sounds like a good plan to me. Like you said, they can do it faster, plus save the wear and tear and pain on yourself.
Nice find at the dumpster, you didn't even have to "dive" for them!

I AGREE -- if reasonable, DO IT!

Like you say, a month's rent will pay for most of it. AND you can be there in your own place! You may want to get that bedroom painted and a bed up....you could shower at rental and then go to your house & stay at least a couple nights a week. Get more unpacked, painted, etc.

I know some things aren't "ready" -- a stove, tub, but....take some ready meals and MW them. You can get this done without so much travel if you plan it. After all -- nothing else to do, right?? :lol: :lol:

I need a dumpster find like that one! :yesss:

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, I am taking time talking to y"all since you kept me from pulling my hair out or going down to the bank and doing some serious bodily injury.
I spent several hours there today, started taping up the baseboard in the bedroom to protect it from paint and covering the floor/carpet with plastic drop cloths. It is chilly outside, in comparison to what it was, and damp and wet, and my knees could only take so much. Put all the sample paints on some "sections" of the walls, and wound up going and getting some other ones because I did not like the colors once I could see a "section" ..... then came back and painted all those samples on the walls in sections... each about a 2x4 or maybe a little bigger, section of the wall... so I could get a good representation of the color. It needs to dry so I can see the true colors.
There are 9 million feet of baseboard and door and window trim to tape up.... don't know if I am a good enough painter to not tape.... and taping it all first makes more sense... at least room by room.

Son's gf sister, that helped him out at his house after son and gf broke up the last time, is not working and son said she is going nuts. She is the one whose husband died and the baby is like 6 months or so now. Said that he could sit in his baby chair and she could help.... has offered to him if I want help. I'm tossing it around. Got an e-mail from the co that I called about the cleaning and all.... to confirm the appt and with the particulars of what they can do/not do....they are 3 weeks booked out for the inside cleaning part..... the outside power washing is separate... that they are coming to take a look at all of it on wed..... so I might have to go on and start the inside cleaning myself.... I am going to go on and work on the bedroom as that is the carpet, and it is clean and good and will only need another vaccuuming after I get done with the painting.
The girl that helps me test, is very good at color co-ordinating and stuff like that. Although Mennonite, she has a good eye and has helped several friends with planning their weddings and such. Showed me pics of a get together she put together for a cake/ food tasting for one girl and about 8 other friends. It was REALLY NICE..... So anyway, I had mentioned at the farm the other day when I was testing, and she was milking there, that maybe she might like to take a ride down and see the house if I ever got the closing done. She said she would love to come see it. She was looking at the different paint sample cards I had....I texted her after the closing and said it was finally finished.... and did she want to come take a look.... she texted back and said she would LOVE to come see it... so as of right now.... Tuesday afternoon she is off and so am I after my PT appt mid day. Sooooooo, I will get her opinion of the paint sections on the wall. There are 2 that I think are too dark so far.... that is why I went and got a few more.... I've got the bedroom and the LR with paint on the walls in sections. The LR floor is the one I am going to get sanded and finished, so it is not covered because there is paint on it already in spots.
Of all things, when I was at Lowe's this aft... found a gallon of paint that was marked "mis tint" , in a pale green. So for $9.00 I bought it.... and there is a good possibility that it is the color I am going to use. It should do the whole LR .... but there is another one that I like as much or more... but they weren't dry yet. That was a bargain though and it will get used eventually.
So I did about all I could take, with my knees as there aren't any chairs or anywhere to sit down yet. Kept having to go sit on the stairs to the upstairs.... Made a list of some things I need to take, a chair, and a radio so I have some "company", paper towels, toilet paper.... the tub/shower is the only thing in the bathroom that has to be replaced.

Also bought the trap and drainpipe for the sink in the utility room that is missing since it was leaking and they took it out. It is on my list.... we'll see if I am much of a plumber to install it tomorrow. I plan to do more taping of the trim and baseboard tomorrow.
I cannot fathom that older lady being able to sleep in that lilac/lavender colored bedroom.... It honestly gives me a headache it is so intense a color. I will have to put 2 coats on those walls to cover it completely. I love blue, but one of the colors I liked is too intense and it isn't near as much as the color she has in there.
Spent some time looking at the entrance in the door. There is wood floor in the hallway, with about a 2-3 ft piece of vinyl directly in front of the doorway. I am assuming it was to keep from getting wet feet on the floors, but it butts up against the wood and looks like it was glued down.... it is really ugly. I am thinking that something like a "slate floor" looking something to go there???? The little stretch of wood would get refinished with the LR.... but this looks like they took out the wood in this section.... maybe there were rotten boards???? Just looks awful.... Going to have to think on that a bit. And the walls are white, with like a gray colored paint contrast on the trim.... reminds me of a sterile ugly institutionalized room paint.... you know the kind that is totally unattractive.... there are multiple coats of paint on this trim so not worth stripping.... but have to think about what to paint over it because it looks so blah....
Hoping that Geneva has some suggestions for that. That was not on my list of "possible colors"

So I have a list of things that I am getting together to take up tomorrow. It is raining again, quite steadily now, and I am in for the night. Tomorrow morning we are going to work the 8 calves there at the nurse cow pasture....if I can get them in for their grain.... 5 on the first calf heifers and the 3 on the nurse cow. It is past time for them to be going out loose with the cow. Then I will go work on the house again. Don't want to take too much "stuff" up there before I get the painting and cleaning done so I am not moving it from one place to another. Have to do something in the bathroom... the door trim is preventing the drawers on the vanity from opening. The owners said it was like that as well as they can remember... did the mother not use the drawers on the one side????? Got to see if just taking off the trim and putting on a thinner piece will let the drawers open.... it won't take much to let the drawers just slip past. But another thing....

Son said he will help move the washing machine - probably next Sat when he has one of the guys there at the farm working to help him. By then I can have the area behind where the washer goes completely cleaned and walls washed down and all so it will go right in there. There is a patterned paneling in there that I am going to leave. So it just needs to be washed/wiped down. There is space for a dryer next to it .... may put an upright freezer there. I don't even know if I still have a dryer in storage.... I might have sold it as I never use it. Maybe it is in the storage trailer.... Kinda a waste to take up the space when I don't use it but...... maybe in my old age I would use it !!!!!

Going in to cook some filet of sole I took out of the freezer for dinner. Need to get a sinkfull of dishes done too.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I just typed in a whole long paragraph and it blinked and is gone.... NUTS and DOUBLE NUTS!!!!! Tried going back a page then coming back but it is gone.

So here goes again. Had a pretty good day. Got the nurse cow in and then the 5 other calves came in through the creep gate to get their grain and all. So I put feed in the feed bunk, went around the outside and shut the regualr gate up against the creep gate, then shut the door. Texted my son and said they were in, and he said he'd be up in about an hour. Told him to bring 3 green tags, 3 white tags, 2 yellow tags, bander, bands and blackleg shots. He comes and we get going and he has the 2 yellow tags for the 2 bulls soon to be steers.... one goes over the back of the feed bunk and gets in the alley way and we had to get him back over... he is pretty nutty.... on my longhorn heifer and she is just as quiet as can be...... get that calf done, gets a heifer in, I said that she is mine, has a white underline (grand dam has holstein/jersey and the white is very dominant on the underside) and he says okay.... gives the shot, then realizes he didn't get the white tags..... apologized and offered to go get them, said he just wasn't paying attention, and I said lets just get them done, I know my heifers..... so we got the rest done, the other bull calf's on my nurse cow, and she has 2 heifers too. So my 3 heifers didn't get ear tags but they are vaccinated and the bull calf is a steer... his 3 heifers with green tags are on 3 1st calf heifers, and I don't know who is on which cow so it is good they are tagged. One is a little smaller than the rest and I want to see who the momma is.... she may not be milking as good....

So got that done, decided maybe we would go to the barn and see about getting in some other cows and get some moved around that he has been saying we needed to do for the past month. But it started to drizzle/ shower a little, so we decided to go get some lunch as it was after 1, and then see. Well, the sky got darker, was sprinklely, so we decided that we would do them on Tuesday. He really wasn't in the mood to do them I could tell. I also asked about the fridge he had at the barn, since I need a smaller one (max 30 inches as the opening is 31 inches).... he wasn't sure of the size but would look. I said I would buy it or else I was going to have to buy one because my older one in storage is bigger....

Then the gf's sister called, their dryer quit and didn't he have an extra one ? Actually he has 2, one came from my parents house in Ct a couple years ago, before they sold it and finally moved everything permanently to NH. I have the washer, but didn't want the dryer as I have a gas dryer in storage. So he went to help them with that, and I said I was going to the house to work. I was taping up the wood trim on the doors and about an hour later, he comes up. The gf is with him.....I had mentioned that he ought to stop and see the house since he never went by and looked at it when I had asked him to way back.....so they come and he has the fridge on the back of her truck. He said her father helped him load it when they loaded the dryer on his truck, so he thought he might as well bring it while he had help. So he measured it and then went in and measured the "hole" and said it is about 3 inches shorter than the hole and it is 30" and the hole is 31" so it ought to work perfect... So it is unloaded on the porch. Going to plug it in tomorrow, and make sure it is running okay.... it was running when he took it out of the rental house as the tenants had their own fridge that they put in the house.... and it needs a good cleaning. So need to make sure it runs first, then I can clean it good while it is out on the concrete floor porch, then move it inside after I clean out in the house behind where it is going, good. So that may solve the fridge problem. Also plans are to move the washing machine next sat when he has help to load it at the house and unload it at the new house.
Then I will have some space to get things moved around at the rental and can get some other things figured out.

But this means that I don't guess that I am going to get the company to clean the house.... because I will be doing a bunch of it this week. They are still coming out on Wed morning to look at the outside to pressure wash the house and carport and the deck and concrete porch, and cleaning the windows...So that's okay...... I can spend some time cleaning behind the fridge area and then behind where the washer goes.... and see how it goes.

Got all the edges of the doors and the windows and the 2 "fake mantles" in the 2 rooms downstairs that are going to be painted, with masking tape so that I can "cut in" and not get it on the trim/mouldings. Except the tops as I don't have a ladder there. So will take the step ladder up and do the tops . Have to get something wider for the baseboard in the LR because it is like 8" and I don't want to get paint splatter on it although the floor doesn't matter because there is paint spots and splatters on it and it is going to get sanded and finished. But not the baseboard or the door/window trim. I guess I could do newspaper all around the bottom, but that will take a long time... I am thinking that I saw some kind of "painters tape that is like masking tape along one edge and like a plain paper on the other edge... like 6 inches wide or something. Would be much easier to just use that and be able to go along the whole baseboard on my hands and knees and get it on.... I will check tomorrow on my way to test in the morning. Have to leave by 11 to be at the farm, so will leave an hour earlier or so and go by and look. If I can't find anything, I will do like newspaper taped on so it hangs over the baseboard and covers it. It will just take me longer.

So I got their opinion on the colors.... and I sorta agree with them... one of the blues I like better..... they picked out 2 and we agreed on the green in the LR and we agreed on one of the blues and I liked a different one a little better. It is so hard to tell though because of the lilac/lavender is so intense. It will definitely take 2 coats to cover that. One of the walls in the LR almost has a lilac tint to it.... and gf said she thought so too.... so it isn't just me.
I just want to get that covered in the BR.....
Of course son said that to just leave it all white/cream color..... big help he is..... I said I was not going to look at the same color in every room.... that I wanted some color in the house, not plain old BLAH.....

He said that the piece of vinyl in the entry at the front door is glued on the wood, not the wood cut out. So that is good, it can be peeled off. I get why they did it, but I hate it and said that I might try to find something that looked like slate tiles or something.
He said that the deck did need to be power washed and then let dry real good and sealed. That it should last for a bit, just a couple of boards that have a little spot that need to be fixed.
He also tried to install the drain pipe in the sink in the utility room... but I need another piece of pipe and 2 nuts and 2 of the big "washers". He said that they would have normally come with the sink drain underneath... but have been removed sometime so the stuff I got was right if it had been a new sink with the normal pieces. So will get them tomorrow too.
So he was being very nice and helpful.... I am not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. She was very pleasant, and I appreciate the opinion on the color, and the help with getting the fridge off her truck there onto the porch.

The gallon paint that I got that was mis-mixed color, is more of a light blue/green once on the wall. Not a bad color, but not going to use it this time. It will be a good paint for one of the upstairs bedrooms when they get done. I was thinking that it might even be okay for the hallway since I hate that white/grey trim combination. We'll see. I am not sorry I got it and it isn't a bad color. I've got to think about that hallway... I hate that greyish trim. Yes it is a contrast, but it is just so unappealing to me.

Also, son said that the one door into the bathroom should be taken out and it needs to be wider. The clawfoot tub won't fit through it, as the doors are only 20 inches.... there is enough room to make the one side a normal 30 or 32 inch door... which will also allow me to get a tub in. The one piece tub and surround have to get cut up to come out, the way it is now. The one piece surround & tub was put in and then they finished the framing and put the narrow doors in. It definitely has to be removed as there are cracks around the drain. Says that happens with the fiberglass tubs... and this is about 25, maybe 30 yrs old. He said that I ought to tile the whole area where the tub is going, and then I won't have to worry about water/dampness. Says a friend of his is REAL good, so that may be an option; hadn't thought about that. Making the door bigger won't affect much except get it closer to the toilet, but will be more accessible.
He said you need to think about things like a wheelchair or walker.... are you planning to stay in this house forever... I said probably not and he looked at me with total surprise.... and said what? you're not ???... I said I don't know....
He then made a comment a little later that it was "kinda funny, that he moved out of the area and I was moving into the area" and then he laughed and said well, at least if the cows get out I can look out the window and see where they are....!!! Yeah, HA HA.... So I guess that was my hint that he is pretty much moved in down at the gf's.....
I didn't say a thing.

So after they left, I stayed and got the rest of the masking tape on the trim etc. Had to take the broom to the few cobwebs and stuff as I don't want to be painting them onto the walls. Will take the vacuum up there....to really do the walls good before painting. Have a list of what I need to take the next trip up the hill.

Got the sample bottles ready for the farm I am going to test and the one that I am going to drop the meters off at for them to test after I get done at the first one. Have to put in some other hoses for the owner sampler herd. I will get the computer updated in the morning for them. The one never has all the info right, and last time I went back 3 times to get it all done.... and I don't get any more money for it. So I have resigned myself to probably going back at least once.... but I will coordinate it with picking up the samples from the o.s. herd so it is not a wasted trip.

Son said we are going to ship the rest of the calves probably this week or next. Prices are still holding pretty good, down a little, and with all the rain, grass is better so more will hold longer and then there will be a glut... Got to get the calves off the cows that are due in late Sept/Oct.... some are the ones we treated for pinkeye and held back a couple weeks ago. Works for me. I will need all the extra money for the work on the house and won't have to put it on the cc or anything.... So that will be good. I think there are only a couple of calves that are mine anyway.... got to check my lists.

Better get going... got alot to do tomorrow, nothing for the house except want to go plug in the fridge, and stop on the way through town at Lowe's and see if I can get the drain pipe and something to cover the baseboard....

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well -- your son is "visiting" again. Take the help when you can! At least you may have a frig -- for now, or....
YES -- get the washer moved, let him help when he will. Sometimes just one or two things are helpful. I find this to be true with my own "can't depend on you to show" son. He does beautiful work, especially for others but, I am not at the top of his list -- "sucking hind tit" isn't fun. Of course, when THEY ask YOU to help THEM --- awhhhh......things change.

Sounds better that vinyl is glued to wood, vice wood cut out. At least it can be removed & other arrangements fitted. Look at the laminates & man made stones. You can get some amazing patterns now. Look good, wear well easy to install & less expensive.

My living room has a corner wall section that looks like laid stone. It is actually a lightweight, fire retardant material that is easy to cut and install. Materials now are available for many installs that take far, far less labor, time, cost. You would not know this wasn't real stone without extremely close inspect....raised hearth is same material, looks like slate. These materials allow use that might otherwise be hard to accomplish.

I have one of those narrow frig -- AT the time, it seemed enough. But, I find it was not so once I began with milking and eggs for sale. That was several years after I built, however. Then bought a used extra for those items. Mine is now 20 yrs old (time flies!!) and I priced another because I do have about 10 inches above current model. WOW -- those tall skinny ones are expensive!! Not the norm/popular size. Uh, still using original one. :D =D But, I keep a lot in the unit in my garage apt. I feel your pain.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just that I will have to designate it as principal reduction payment.
Isn't it amazing that you have to designate it as a principle reduction? Like anyone would want to pay extra interest? Sheesh.

I think they didn't set it up very high on blocks or anything so the siding is rotting off the bottom along the ground
Is it small enough that you could lift it with pallet forks or something and put in another row of block?

Not the floor sanding.....
Might want to get that done first since it is messy. Then the cleaning crew would leave the place totally clean.

I am really not lazy,
Nope, no one here would ever think that! But you do have bad knees.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, it is Monday eve..... got done at the farm that doesn't test very often.... and of course there is a PILE ....LOOOOONG list of "errors".... I politely told him that he was going to have to get the calving dates on the dry cows; that he was going to have to figure out the cows "missing milk weights" , as some are probably sold or died or something.... and that the 35 plus that were listed as new cows that come from another farm that he has been milking them for as they are building a bigger facility, so he has been milking them, and they are eventually going back....BUT, they are putting milk into the tank and there is NO WAY, to just "ignore that many" and then make a comparison to "milk measured/tested" and actual milk tank pickup weights....
Over 80 discrepancies. I said I was not going to sit there for 2 hours or more while he ferrets out the information. I go through this every time he tests... last time it was 3 trips back to the farm. This time he is going to do the work on his computer, and get it reconciled.... he can call down to the computer center too and get help from them. I said that I would be available by phone tomorrow until noon when I had my PT appt.... Samples won't go out until he gets the "paperwork" (computer stuff) straightened out. He said he would email me the "racking list" which is how I have to send in the samples.... because I am sure there are going to be a bunch that he decides not to put on test.... and I cannot include them in the boxes of samples.... in numerical order as the samples have to go. I will include them in the box at the end of the ones that are to be tested and they can throw the milk out and the bottles washed....I get SOOOO aggravated.

Had another farm call and want to test, they never test 2 months in a row. But they are getting together info for FSA... think they are going to try to refinance... which is smart with the interest rates the way they are. So want totally current records on the cows. So they are planned for Monday. Vet is coming this week to preg check their heifers.... need all the inventories up to date on all the different ages etc.... I hope that they can make it work... they have struggled with the terribly low milk prices....

Will get the address changed the first of Sept for the lab that sends out the sample bottles/boxes... want to talk to UPS and make sure that the guys will know about taking them there and decide if they can just put them on the front porch or in the carport or the little storage shed.... they are all right there as you pull in the driveway.... But I want to give the driver a heads up too and get the address changed at the lab and all that. I hadn't planned to get any more boxes for 2 weeks as I got all this done, but now I need the bottles/boxes.... so I will get it all set up now and start it the first of Sept.... Might go back on getting them to pick up at the house again.... was more convenient to bring them up the hill when I was going to the cows or out to test...because they would get to the house before I was often done packing them since I would do the cows and other animal chores first, on my way down to the house. They may be coming up the road here to do the late day pickup at the equipment company I take them to.... if so maybe they could stop at my place on the way. Will have to talk to them.

There is a mailbox, but I have to get the address-number- on it. Will start changing all the mail that comes to the house in a week or 2.... after things slow down a bit with the cow moving and all....got too much else right now and that is not life and death. They all know me at the P.O. so it won't take much to get it rerouted since it is the same post office just a different road. Not like they are swamped in the little p.o.....

Since I am going to get some of the stuff cleaned for the fridge and the washing machine to get put in... I probably won't be getting the cleaning service.... 3 weeks out on that will be waiting around. Bedroom will get painted this week - weekend I hope.... Living room painted too, then waiting on the floor. Going to pull up that vinyl and get the whole hallway floor done with the LR floor.... then decide something in the future. Getting the outside power washed, and the deck done isn't as time sensitive to getting things moving in.... want good weather to get the deck sealed so anytime it gets washed is good so it can really dry good. We will get another stretch of dry weather.

Not going to work for geneva to come look tomorrow.... she is babysitting and my son wants to do cows after work.... it is not supposed to be raining until later.... then rain through til Sat.... so got to get these cows done. Going to ask another friend here local to come look and get her opinion. I am still wavering between 2 blues and 2 greens....
Got the extra pieces he said he needed, for the sink drain, and got a roll of stuff to stick on the edges of the baseboard, that will drape over it onto the floor.... didn't need it to be like 24 inches... but it will make the work so much faster.. I can also use it on the top of the mantles that are in both rooms and protect them too. I did tape the edges, but then realized today that the top would get splattered from the roller doing the wall above it. So tomorrow I might do some of that before I go to PT., and hopefully have it all done to start painting. I did take the step ladder there this morning.
Got the refridge plugged in to an extension cord this eve, to see if it will work before I go to cleaning it all out. Hope so. Got a couple of old sets of metal shelves that will go into the shed as soon as I get it swept out.... then can start putting stuff like oil and anti-freeze and such in there and get things in the yard here cleaned up and moved there on a trip.
Got PT at 12:30 tomorrow, so want to get a truck load of stuff moved that can be stashed like up stairs or something... out of the way... but want to make a trip count.
Going to call the handyman guy that is BIL to the ins lady... he hasn't called back.... if he isn't going to get with the program, I have to find someone to do the floors... she said that he does things like that.. I can do the staining/polyurethene but need someone to sand them.
Guys are back for the cell tower, got to get them to come look and see if they can/will do the boxwoods while they have the machine here... if not then will either find someone who needs a half day's work, or see if I can shame my son into doing it with his back hoe... but it is away at another place and that means getting it moved and all that.... bet if the gf wanted it done it would be moved the next day. He doesn't understand why I would want to take them out.... but I need them gone for the storage building to go there for the freezers and other storage stuff that I have on the closed in back porch here....

Yeah, @Mini Horses , going to take advantage of whatever I can.... Speaking of unreliable... did yours ever do anything about the gardening project he was so gung ho to do?????

Going to hit the shower and I just realized that my stomach is growling... eat a pbj sandwhich and go to bed...