Farmerjan's journal - Weather

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
No, I did not stop to get the deer. It hit quite a thunk, rolled several times by the time I stopped and was flopping all around for about a minute while I decided to go home and get the gun and then it stopped. So probably didn't break it's neck. It was smaller and would have been badly bruised. Plus no dogs to feed it to so didn't see the point in something I couldn't use. It was gone the next morning.... don't know if coyotes drug it off. But I have stopped to get them in the past.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Did you stop & get that deer?? @Baymule would have it gutted and iced by now! Don't want one to hit me but, I'd hate to waste the meat, too. No way I'd get it in my truck though! Too heavy for me.

You darn right I would have had that deer loaded up in a heart beat! How did you know what I was thinking! Heck yeah!

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wednesday eve. It was chilly last night, thermometer says 51 up to 73... took awhile to get up there too. I finally got on the tractor about noon.... the hay was very dry surprisingly. Even the "trashy field" . There were alot of small autumn olive bushes that had started to grow in just a year since it had been cut off. Alot of other weedy stuff. I actually raked around some of the weedy crap so that he wouldn't bale it. This field will get a good bush hogging this fall/winter to get some more of the crap knocked down. The other 3 small fields were lighter, 2nd cutting of mixed grass hay so were dry. All got baled this aft/eve. Looks like we are going to get 1-3 inches, which is nothing compared to what they got down south. Great that all the hay is rolled. Neighbors got all theirs up too.... hope most of the other fields I saw down were baled for those farmers. .
2 days of rain in the forecast then some clearing for several days. Expect we will be into the orchard grass and making sq bales then. I think he said he is going to get the wagons unloaded this weekend and deliver some of it and then we will have wagons to load with the new hay. I think that there are 2 or 3 that have partial loads still on them. Not alot, but different kinds that different people wanted.... some will probably go in the barn we use too.... we sold out most all of that a couple years ago when hay was hard to come by....

Good thing I am not a person that gets too set into a schedule.... mine just got changed again. Not testing on Friday, they said the cows are way off due to feed changes, chopping and feeding "green chop" corn because they ran into some moldy stuff in the silo so switched to the green chop and cows are adjusting....
So tomorrow, Thursday, I will go to the house to meet the other floor guy at 7:30/7:45.... then pool PT at 9:00. Then have the day to do something... like maybe some cleaning out/sorting here at the "old house". It is supposed to be raining most of the day.

I AM OFFICIALLY A HOMEOWNER..... I got my first mortgage payment bill in the mail today... LOL....:lol::lol::lol:... Still amazes me that I will be paying 150/mo less once I get in there and am only making one payment. I will be paying rent here for at least 2 more months due to the work needing done... but I expected that. Maybe 3 all according to the bathroom schedule.... But I will be out of the rental BY the 1st of the year one way or another....

Got the twice yearly poultry swap on Saturday.... they cancelled the spring one. I am looking forward to going.... no meat birds to sell this year thanks to the predators.... but I am looking for a few more birds so might find some thing there to bring home. Want a few more of my purebreds.... hoping that this fall we will have our normal poultry show and can get some more purebreds to get to where I can do some hatching in the spring.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Mini Horses you ever go to the Gilmanor poultry Swap ? It would be west of Richmond for you... maybe too far to go. It is about 2+ hours for me. You can find it on MeWe.... because Facebook doesn't allow animal sales.... I can't offhand tell you what exit off I-64.... I just know how to get there...
If you were to go maybe we could meet up.....

And for anyone else....MeWe has animal sales and things that you can't find on Facebook anymore... I haven"t explored it much....

Last edited:

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I should have thought about it sooner. It is this Saturday, 19th. Glen Allen Va. I didn't mean to spring it on you so late.... but I have been somewhat pre-occupied with the house and all. Hey, maybe in the spring... It is usually the first Sat in May and the 3rd Sat in Sept.... Starts at 8a.m., but people set up the night before... usually 100-200 sellers.... In the fall there is the old time "Village"... "steam engines" and other early vintage equipment and all sorts of stuff. Neat to go walk thru. I take my cane chair so I can take a "sit break" .... If you don't get there by 8 you miss out on stuff... by noon half the people are sold out and some leave. Has everything from every kind of poultry, waterfowl, goats, sheep, pigs, baby calves, some older cattle sometimes, LGD puppies, to crafts, to some home crafted furniture, to baked goods to plants... got a few nice daylilies a couple years ago... a couple of regular "fair type food vendors" then several more selling home made stuff... a mennonite family there last year selling like fried pies that were good...
Spring has oodles of people with baby chicks; ducklings.... veg plants for the garden....fall has more older chickens... always ready to lay pullets there.... plus every breed you can imagine.
Past time for bed....

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
That sounds like fun. There is a fledgling chicken swap a couple of counties away, but I think Covid knocked it down. I wasn't interested in going last spring. I haven't seen any advertisement for the fall.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
It is a great day out, a great place to find most anything you can think of. Get to meet up with chicken lovers. Some are so extreme, making big pets out of their birds... although there is a huge population of people of middle eastern descent, Mexicans and other nationalities that like to eat "real chicken" that is home raised.... Many will come looking for chickens they can pick up and feel the body, with no regard to the breed.... they want something to take home and kill and eat. Prices can get ridiculous though for some stuff.... but it is all what the market will stand. I think getting $10 a piece for a live cornish x last time was pretty high, but sold over half of what I took and probably would have done better if I had gotten there earlier to set up at a space that was closer to the front area.... it is first come first served as far as set up, so the up front ones are "seen" by more people....
Our poultry club usually tries to have a meeting or get together there too to discuss a little business in the early afternoon, as things are winding down.

Gotta go meet the floor sanding guy.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh -- can't happen THIS saturday day, for me :( But we will find something going on between our 2 locations one day soon. Maybe tell me Spring date when you get it. Tried MeWe last night and got entire computer shut down 2X! Browser wasn't supported.....either of them!

Used to go to Ferum College each Fall for their old timer day.....similar to what you describe but no sales like poultry. But, they had old homesteading work set up for all to watch, coon dog contests, mule, jumping, steam engines, horse plowing, a still, etc.....a LOT of fun.