Farmerjan's journal - Weather

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks @Baymule and @Bruce .... but condition of the mtg was taxes are included in the monthly payment... so Although I will see the bill, it is already "paid".... I wasn't happy about that, because I can better let that money set in my account and earn interest...but I can opt out after a year if I keep up my payments and they agree. It is probably going to be adjusted since this house was part of the 37 acres that the Christmas trees are on, and so they had to do a "guestimate" of the actual taxes going by the assessment and the selling price....My yearly house ins is paid through it too.... their way to be sure I have it insured and they don't get stuck if there is a disaster... My actual mtg payment is like $260 some a month.... taxes and ins is the added amount. I'm paying almost $390/ month. 2.875 interest rate. That is still over $150 a month less than my rent and my rent is cheaper than some around here.... of course there are the aggravations to go along with it.... I have decided that I probably will not pay it off too much ahead as I can better use my money for something else at this point and time. So far I have paid for all the house stuff cash....or on the cc and paid off when the bill came in, like the Lowe's card. Use their money.... I'm being careful, but like that butcher block top, I might not have gotten it if I couldn't put it on the Lowe's card for a month... with knowing I have the floor sanding and all coming and still have to pay rent for at least 2 more months too.

So, about that. Met the other guy at the house this morning. Very nice, and all.... but he said that the piece of vinyl that they glued down at the front door to prevent water/wet/dirty shoes and such was something he would not tackle....it was too well glued down and that gums up the sander as well as the paper.... that a few of the boards were a little thin on the "groove part"; it is tongue and groove pine.... I get the impression that he does alot of new house floors and all and they are alot easier to do... I get it, they are "gravy".... but..... and gave me a price of $20 more than the other guy who is going to take the vinyl stuff off and has said that he can fix the few spots in the old floor where the top part of the "groove" as split off and such. If there is significant damage to the boards under the vinyl, then that is on me.... but he said they didn't feel like they were "springy" so probably not much worse than the rest. It is only a small area.... like 2x6 feet....if it has to be replaced....
So I texted him and said that I had had to do a little figuring with my money, and that I had decided to go ahead and get him to do it, and that since he had said that he could get to it in the next couple of weeks and that I wanted to get the dust mess over so that I could start moving things.... And that he got a very good recommendation from my farmers' brother... So he said when did I want him and I said that he could pretty much do it whenever he could get started. That I was going to be in and out for the next few days, I would be there monday and would be gone all day wednesday next week.... but whenever it suited him. I think he gets half up front, then the rest on completion of the third coat of poly....so I am thinking that he might get started in the next 2 weeks maybe.... I will need to know to get the few things moved into the bedroom and get the doors shut.... want to get the rest of the stuff out of the kitchen and get a piece of plastic hung so that it will keep out most of the dust for that job....might work on that the next few times up there.... just get the room cleared out and all the stuff off the stairs that I keep sticking there.... and I will have to go in and out the kitchen door so have to know so I don't go blundering in the front door and ruin it....
So it turned out to be a good thing that he got a good recommendation from my farmer, and that the other guy is booked.... I can call and tell him that it is too long for me to wait, which we did discuss this morning that I really didn't want to wait that long and he said Nov 2nd is the earliest that he could book me....

Then I went to PT and did my exercises and such in the pool.... then left and went and did some stuff in the big machine at the laundromat as the sneakers do not wash good in the older style agitator and they do good in the tumble type washer....so did all the dirty barn clothes and bulky stuff and 2 pairs of sneakers....then made a trip to town and wound up in Lowe's again... checking on a few other things that I had thought of... Managed to find a gal of sealer that practically matches the 2 doors they put on the shed.... so grabbed that to get on the walls to try to save that building for a few more years. The flooring has sunk and is rotten in the one back corner where it is too much on the ground.... but I am going to try to get a few more years out of it and a fresh coat of sealer will definitely help. Another $9.00 bargain.... usually $35 or $38. Dropped off the recent car ins quote to the ones with the house ins... to see what they can do.....

Got back to the house and guess what.... The new lawn sweeper was delivered to the house there on the front porch!!!! Like WOW, talk about fast..... So, I had the "pleasure" of pulling it all out of the box and reading directions and putting it together.... Took me over 1 1/2 hours since I am not very fast.... but it is completely done, and will be waiting for me to cut the lawn next week.... looking forward to seeing how it does. It is very heavy and sturdy.... it had very good reviews every where I looked. Ohio Steel.... made in the USA....I am really impressed with it. Directions weren't too bad, had some "errors" where the printed numbers of the pieces in the written words, did not match the numbers on the picture... but it seems to be pretty decent. Time will tell next week.

Made myself a sandwich, and got it together, and finally came on home.

It started out cloudy, and we had some very light sprinkles off and on. But then it started with a light rain and we have had some little steadier rain here for a couple hours. If we get an inch out of it that will be alot.... They are getting hit alot harder south of here along the NC/VA border and to the middle of the state to the coast. We are actually on the more northern fringes of it. That is fine. It is supposed to be out of here by mid day Friday, and then CHILLY... down in the 40's for Sunday morning.... but sun right through late week, like Thursday or Friday.

Texted a guy about some NH bantams and he is bringing them to the poultry swap Saturday. Not cheap, but I think if they are decent show quality I am going to buy them. Have wanted some for a few years.... now I can have what I want. I am going to have my son bring the trailer that is at "doug's" barn(main barn we use), with the various chicken runs/houses that I bought real reduced a couple years ago, up to the house so I can start to try to get them put together.... If I get them done and can put a set of wheels under them, they can go where the garden is going to be for the winter....then move them next spring. I am a little excited about the possibilities... can't go overboard but if the opportunity is there.... I want to get them. Plus I just want a day off of all the responsibilities right now. Would love to get some turkeys but not set up for them right now.... need to get the section that is going to be the fruit trees, fenced, so that they can have that area except when the fruit is ready for picking....I am looking for a few more of the big NH's and some of the big Black Langshans that I had so much problem with the coons here.... if I can find a few breeders between now and the poultry show in November.... then I can hatch my own chicks in the spring.... The main road is going to be a big consideration for the fencing.... they will be smoosh if they get out in the paved main road....

It is chilly tonight was 53 up to only 65.... I am going to get a hot shower, turn the heat up a bit since I filled the oil tank a couple months ago and will have to use it or transfer it... so will save the infared heater and use the oil for now. And make a big cup of hot chocolate and put some amaretto in it and sleep like a baby since I don't have to go test in the morning now.

Oh yeah, ran into a local guy who works on all types of furnaces, and as soon as I get oil in the tank at the new house I am going to call him and they are going to come and do a complete check, service, whatever. He says that he needs for there to be oil so that they can start it and all that. I explained that I probably need to get the tank picked up and reset on blocks/bricks and he said not a big deal, do it after it is up and running.... Didn't ask how much because I will need a working furnace... and if it has major problems he will tell me.... everyone is going to gas furnaces nowadays.... So, I will call and get like 100 gallons in it so that they can do their thing.... probably be a week from the time I call him he said....I like that they are close/local.... So another problem solved.... as far as getting it checked out.

It's getting there slowly but surely....

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh -- can't happen THIS saturday day, for me :( But we will find something going on between our 2 locations one day soon. Maybe tell me Spring date when you get it. Tried MeWe last night and got entire computer shut down 2X! Browser wasn't supported.....either of them!

Used to go to Ferum College each Fall for their old timer day.....similar to what you describe but no sales like poultry. But, they had old homesteading work set up for all to watch, coon dog contests, mule, jumping, steam engines, horse plowing, a still, etc.....a LOT of fun.

They do have a limited FB site too... can't advertise any for sale stuff.... but the dates are listed....It will either be May 1st or the 8th next year.... pretty sure May 1st. Maybe after the holidays, and my getting moved, and life going back to "normal" without all this covid crap... we can just figure out a "halfway" point and get together...

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
They do have a limited FB site too... can't advertise any for sale stuff.... but the dates are listed....It will either be May 1st or the 8th next year.... pretty sure May 1st. Maybe after the holidays, and my getting moved, and life going back to "normal" without all this covid crap... we can just figure out a "halfway" point and get together...
When y'all get together, we want pictures!!!

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes, there is "progress in the works"..... once the floors get sanded and finished, then I can really start moving stuff. I plan to try to move some of the outside stuff this weekend and the next few trips up the hill. Like the extra tires and rims... things that can go out in the building/shed and all. Have a couple sets of metal shelving that I have salvaged from the dumpster and such to put in there and want to try to start out "organized"..... Get the mower moved into the carport in it's own spot... maybe hang a good tarp for protection from blowing rain or snow in that "corner", get the grass catcher and all up out of the way for the winter.... Then I can get the shelves in there and actually get things moved in. If I do it in small increments, I won't hurt so much, and can get things put where I want them. Garden hoses, all that sort of stuff....

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thinking about putting up a tarp at the carport....... what about standing pallets up, drive T-posts through them to secure them and you can tie off the tarp to them at the bottom.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
My actual mtg payment is like $260 some a month.... taxes and ins is the added amount. I'm paying almost $390/ month.
$130 for taxes and insurance is CHEAP! Our taxes alone are $542/month.

Directions weren't too bad, had some "errors" where the printed numbers of the pieces in the written words, did not match the numbers on the picture.
I know you have no time but it might be helpful for future buyers if you noted those differences and shipped them off to the manufacturer.

I explained that I probably need to get the tank picked up and reset on blocks/bricks and he said not a big deal, do it after it is up and running.
Do you have a plan on how you'll lift close to a combined thousand pounds of tank and 100 gallons of oil?