Farmerjan's journal - Weather

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
@thistlebloom , so you are saying I should do a severe pruning before I move the forsythia? Like practically cut them down???? Was just going to get him to dig it up as is and move... have plenty of hose to reach to water them in new spot to get settled in the ground.... There are about 3 or 4 clumps that have grown together into a "row" more or less.... It is over 8 feet high and the "end of the row" is about 4 ft (or more)wide and the row is about 10 or more feet long.... someone probably planted 3 or 4 plants and then they got neglected... especially in the last 8 years have not been trimmed at all.... I was going to get him to just scoop up each "bunch" or what ever and plop it down in another hole along the edge of the property on the dirt road side.... I have never transplanted them, have always broken off a branch or 2 and gotten them to root and then planted.... Since he is going to have a rubber tired backhoe type thing, didn't plan on a lot of "human" transplanting....
Please advise.... I can probably get them cut back with the lopping shears I have....

@Ridgetop ... things are going along...... I plan to be in there by the first of the year, with or without the bathroom being done.... That is my limit for paying on the rent and mortgage.... Kinda made up my mind....
The floor sanding/finishing should be done within the month...I hope.... Glen said he might try to come open the doorway to the bathroom, up one rainy day they can't do outside work.... he restores/rebuilds etc the old log cabins with the chinking and stuff.... and does stone work... so it is somewhat dependent on where he is on certain jobs if we get wet weather.... although he tries to have a couple jobs spaced out to where he can do inside work somewhere if the weather is inclement....

I haven't gotten an estimate yet on the partial kitchen work/counter top etc.... might have that in a day or 2. The "owner/boss" had texted me and said he would have something and could stop by the house late wed (today) but I said I would be gone all day and that I needed to take my truck in for work thurs.... so I would catch up with him towards the end of the week. He had texted me to ask if I was satisfied with the work that the other 2 guys did the other day, as it was "his job " and they were sub contracting. I was impressed that he would check with me that way.... said he usually tried to get back by the job to check on things but got tied up on another job til late.
And I won't get an estimate on the "boxwood" deal and other work for a couple days at least, since that guy was supposed to have the kidney stone surgery on tuesday after he came by on monday. And he will be out of "working commission" for at least 2 weeks.... don't think that he has anyone working for him except for a few others that he works "with" like on the tree trimming/chipping etc. I told him that was fine and he said he would get back to me in about a week.... I can live with that, no problem.
Get a few estimates, and do some money figuring.... and then see how soon I can get all of this done...
I have to figure in the unexpected brake work on the truck ...too.....:th
#1 first Floors ....#2 boxwoods and "yard/tree" work while the machine is here..... #3 kitchen butcher block countertop and the "island removed" and the tall sliding cabinet thing out next to the fridge and the replacing the door fronts with the finished plywood they take out from the sliding cabinet thing....

D@#N I just accidentally erased a bunch of stuff I typed.....:somad:somad:somad:somad:he:he:he:rant:rant:rant:barnie:barnie:barnie

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
so you are saying I should do a severe pruning before I move the forsythia? Like practically cut them down????

I know it sounds very drastic, but yes. They will recover very nicely and will be healthier and better looking for it. They are tough shrubs.
Another thing is that with trunks cut back short it's a lot more convenient for seeing what you're transplanting.
I would water them in real good, and make sure the soil never drys out completely before spring. Not saturated, but I think you are experienced enough to understand what I mean. Then in the spring I'd give them a shot of some 10-10-10 fertilizer. You will be amazed how they shrug off being moved.

The general rule with flowering shrubs when they get large and mature is to do a thinning pruning, taking out one third of the oldest canes every year for 3 years.
But if they are extremely overgrown and neglected, cutting them down to the ground gives them a brand new look.

I coppice (cut nearly to the ground) about 30 Smokebush (Cotinus coggygria) every year. It keeps them shrubs as opposed to growing into a tree form. They do just fine and look great.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
So, to try to remember what I had typed....
Tomorrow; take the truck down and then come back and get the 4x4. Haven't driven it in about 10 days so it needs to be run anyway. Get the samples from today packed and sent out. Go get the bull in and deliver him to the neighbor as the cow is due to come in heat.... go rake the last 5 rows of hay that should be pretty dry for DS to roll ... he is going to sq bale at least another wagon or 2 tomorrow afternoon then roll the rest.... he said he made at least 400 today just from the OG and the field isn't done.... I told him that it was going to make alot and it was dried perfectly from the sun and no humidity the last few days. That was the kind of weather I understand that they have out west to make all that real nice-high priced alfalfa and such. They can get it dried nice, and fast, so very little color lost because they don't have the humidity.... Anyway, he sold about 150 from the first grass hay mix I had raked.... guy came and got it today.... unloaded off the wagons directly on their vehicle/s.... there was about 175-200 bales he said.... and he said he must've baled close to 400 this afternoon.... he will probably sq bale some of the grass hay I raked yesterday as some was pretty decent and he has sales for just a mixed grass hay too.... I'm thinking maybe another wagon or 2, then roll the rest so that nothing will get wet.....
Then after that I will maybe go to the house and get the 3 sets of shelves washed off, and the cabinet, so that they can get pretty much dried and then stuck in the shed. Mower is going in the carport. Want to get the lawn sweeper under the carport too before we get crappy weather.... I see they left the decking boards that they removed... and I never thought but I bet the bottom sides of them are not all crappy so I could use them for the bottom shelves of the metal shelf units where they are rusted through instead of buying plywood.... and they will be sturdier... and "free". I have told them to leave all the stuff/wood etc.... like I got all 6 hinges off the old shed doors....

So maybe I can get some of the baseboard panels moved in and more painted... just have to see the temps and the humidity.... so far they look real good so don't want to do more and have them be crummy or not dry if it is too damp/humid... It can wait a few days if need be. I will maybe store the ones for the bedroom in the DR as I know that I am going to have to have the carpet cleaned after all the wall opening and carrying stuff in and out to do the bathroom... have to go through the BR because that is the door that we can enlarge...No matter how good it gets covered, the carpet is going to get dirty places.... so will have to be cleaned.... it will be easier if I leave the covers off the baseboard heaters until after...

Just thought of something else.... they put down the vinyl flooring up against the tub.... so that room is going to need a new floor if I put in the clawfoot tub I want.... as there won't be any flooring under it.... never thought of that until just now.... one more thing to have to think about:th:th:hit:hit:barnie:he:idunno:idunno:idunno
I need to talk to Glen and see what the different options are....
But the good thing is that the plumbing might already be run for that upstairs bathroom... the hole is in the floor.... previous owners said that was the plan when they were kids but it was never done.....maybe I will get lucky there....

Got to get a bill for the decking and water stuff done the other day.... plus the 1st of the month is coming and rent AND 1st mortgage payment to make..... and need to hold back enough to pay for the floor sanding....

A few things may go on the cc for a couple of months, until I am not paying both a mtg and rent..... will have to see what sort of estimates I get....

Time to get a shower and go to bed. I slept REAL GOOD last night after a cup of hot cocoa and a little amaretto... might repeat tonight. I don't want to get "dependent" but about a 1/2 shot or less. just seems to be enough that I don't wake up in the middle of the night....I like the flavor, but don't like so much as to "feel the alcohol".... but it sure has helped me sleep better. Not going to look a gift horse in the mouth... if it works then when I am tired I will do it so I can get the rest.... my knees are aching from testing today too....
Oh getting old and ACHEY is not for wimps......:old:old:th:duc:barnie:he:hit:hit:hit

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am not much of a drinker.... spent too many years as a cocktail waitress and watched too many idiots have a little too much.... before the drinking and driving got to be such a big deal (and rightfully so).... but did learn about alot of different drinks... especially paid attention to the ones I tried and liked... Can't handle vodka so no white russians... but like amaretto, and Kahlua so drank a sombrero (Kahlua and cream) or Toasted Almond (amaretto and Kahlua and cream) or a frozen toasted almond.... blended... best with crushed ice and ICE CREAM.....like a good Pina Colada with meyers dark rum.... but not enough for the rum to overpower it.... so many drink for the alcohol and way over do it... I like the flavor so go light.... but a well mixed drink can sneak up on you.... a good Long Island Ice tea will put you under the table and you don't even realize it is as strong as it is....5 liquors..... one of the few real "hard drinks" I will drink once in a blue moon... There are others I don't even remember the names of because I just don't drink anything much anymore.... several "frozen drinks" that are good, and smooth.... and making any of them with ice cream is just umm umm good.... but boy do they have calories too....
I mostly liked the liqueurs.... sweet, easy sipping.... and of course lots of calories!!!!! Never could get into the hard stuff like whiskeys, gin, vodka gives me a headache if used heavy in a drink, a few brandies are okay.... but I like my amaretto..... and in hot chocolate it is just nice....

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not much of a drinker here either. I just don't need any help making a fool out of myself--i do a jam up job all my myself. LOL

I like Kahlua over ice cream. I make my Great Grandmother's eggnog, buy put half or less of the bourbon in it. Her recipe calls for 12 shots of bourbon, it will rip your head off. As an adult, it mystifies me how my non drinking parents would let me get sh!tfaced as a little kid, on eggnog at Christmas. LOL My mom said Mamma Wall made eggnog for breakfast on Christmas morning and she drank it as a little kid.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
@thistlebloom , so you are saying I should do a severe pruning before I move the forsythia? Like practically cut them down????
I know it sounds very drastic, but yes. They will recover very nicely and will be healthier and better looking for it. They are tough shrubs.
Another thing is that with trunks cut back short it's a lot more convenient for seeing what you're transplanting.

Severely pruning off the top half at least of large shrubs you want to transplant will definitely give them a better chance at survival. The plant is shocked at being moved and can't support the feeding and maintenance of all their branches and leaves. You will see some die and drop anyway, so by pruning first, you are helping cut back on the amount of work the plant has to do to establish itself. The older the shrub, the more you should take back. Since forsythia is deciduous it will "hibernate" over the winter. This is not actually the correct time to prune it since pruning forsythia should be done after flowering in spring. The new buds set for the following year on the new wood before the leaves come out. By doing this intense pruning at this time of year, you won't have many blooms on the forsythia next year, but will have your "living wall" of green leaves. Then if you want to continue the "living wall" you can propagate more along the fence here you want them. The following year the forsythia should be back to blooming normally in its new location.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks both @thistlebloom and @Ridgetop for the advice on the forsythia. Guess they will get scalped with the moving.. at least that won't be for a week or 2.

Woke up to clouds - expected, and sprinkles/showers - NOT EXPECTED..... Took the truck down to the shop after taking the samples out and some other stuff....am so glad because the brakes are non-existent. Son had jim come get me as he is still helping some.... he says he is leaving this friday for his sisters' in SC.... the camper is gone, from ds barn property. So we came up the road, stopped at the house and got a plastic drop cloth I had at the house and took and covered the hay on the wagon. Then he said that there was probably tarp at the barn, so we went and got it and did a better job of covering the wagon and then covered the baler too. I am hoping, after looking at the radar, that the clouds are supposed to clear out more and it might be better. Maybe clearing out enough and it will be dry enough to get the rest up. I will not go up and rake the 5 rows until much later....
Then he brought me home so that I can pack samples and get the 4x4 ranger.
So time to get the samples packed, and then go to the house and see if I can get something accomplished up there.
Son had jim do some lawn mowing at the house, yesterday... I didn't say anything.... whatever. I did ask him if there was any tricks to starting that mower.... he went into this big spiel and i was very good and just listened. I just will be glad when he has gone as he just gets on my nerves.... just me...maybe because he tries to be so nice and making jokes and all, that i just do not find funny.... i have no tolerance for the corny jokes trying to be ingratiating nice. Just give me the facts about how to start it, don't need a big long roundabout spiel....

I guess I am not a very nice person....not very tolerant that is for sure.

So anyway... that's it for now. Guess I will see what the skies look like when I get up there as to what I will do. Too damp to do any painting outside on the porch but I can get some stuff moved around. Get the sweeper moved under the carport. Probably go on and wash down the shelves and all. If they stay out and get wet, that's not the end of the world. At least when it dries out again, they will be ready to go in. Going to make sure that he puts the mower in the carport if he goes up there again to do more today. I did tell him to keep track of his time so I can pay him. Want to keep it on strictly a business level for however long he is still here. Not expecting to have to put out more money to him, but the lawn looks better...except that it would have been nice if it had been swept at the same time....there's alot of dead grass clumps from the last mowing....
Know what, it is not life or death, let it be whatever... won't last much longer. DS has him doing some other stuff at the farm so that's fine....

Latest posts