Farmerjan's journal - Weather

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm at the new house on WIRELESS INTERNET...:yesss::thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup:woot:woot:clap:clap:celebrate and trying to restrain myself. He was here mowing... except he decided to start sweeping with MY NEW SWEEPER... and dumped it all in a huge bunch of piles where I don't want it. I never told him to touch the sweeper.... Stopped him and said that I wanted the grass put in "this area" (showed him where) and that I didn't tell him to sweep any of it, that I just wanted it mowed. He said oh, I guess WE had our signals crossed..... So the piles have to be moved to where I want to kill the grass for the garden. I am beyond P. O.......
So I went and got the clothes off the line, and moved one set of baseboards in the house, moved the rest further towards the house part under the porch. Moved some stuff in the carport so the mower can go there when he is done... and the sweeper had better be cleaned out too. I am going out to talk to him and tell him that as soon as he moves those piles, that he can put the mower in the carport along the side and the sweeper cleaned and put under there too. I am going to go down to the chickens and make sure they have feed and water..... I can't stay here or I will blow up and get really ugly. Have to check on the cover for the thimble under the mantle in the BR... that will give me time to go cool off.

We have gotten some clearing, then a few sprinkles, then a little lt breeze. Hope it stays a little breezy and will dry out enough to get it all rolled. I will go rake in about an hour if it looks to stay this way... might text ds and see if he wants me to wait til he gets off work and do it as I will be way ahead of him anyway.

Got to go breed the neighbors jersey AI again, this evening, then will get the bull moved in the next week.....he can then be a clean up for her and for the other 2 they want to try to get bred. So don't have to deal with him today.

Last edited:

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
it's not that I want them out of sight.... they are impeding the line of sight coming out of the driveway onto a very busy road that everyone drives quite fast on.
Got it and I totally agree! I thought you were planning to put them some place you couldn't see them at all which didn't make sense. For that you just dig and toss them. Thanks for the clarification.

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Including lilacs? And how does one know which are the oldest canes, strictly by diameter?

Yep, works for lilacs too. The older trunks/canes will have a tougher bark, it will be obvious once you stick your head in there and look. By doing the 1/3 over three years you will still have flowers each spring.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Came back by the house to put the breeding box on the shelf. I went up to rake, and then saw ds stopped and digging hay out of the pick up on the baler. So I went over, and the pickup tines were not turning. Turns out he broke a chain that goes around 3 different sprockets that turn the pickup and the augers that direct the hay into the center.... had to take my truck and he ran to the barn, got a "repair link" as we keep several different sizes. Didn't have the exact size, but this one would work. Got it back together and then I went and got on the tractor and raked the 5 rows that were left. Actually there were 4 on 2 sides and 5 on 2 sides where he had started a 5th round and then cut out when he had the trouble with the discbine. So I got them raked, he was baling the other.
Surprisingly, the hay was very good shape. We had had those few sprinkle sessions but it never hurt the hay.

Hopefully he is done by now. I left after I finished raking, came home, got the breeding box and pulled the straw to go breed the cow. She was in better heat this time, and I really hope that I got her settled but she has a difficult repro tract to get into, has an angle like crook in it.... but she had good discharge, so I am hoping that it will be a good breeding.
Then I came back here, and realized the computer was here, so sat for a few minutes and got back on the "good working" internet.... Going to cancel the internet at the other house ... just paid for it so will tell them to just stop it at the end of this months payment.
I see j was back here and got most all the grass he piled against the edge of the lawn, moved up here to the garden spot. He had said he was leaving tomorrow eve, and that he would be around the barn doing a few other things for ds, so I will stop and pay him in the morning on my way home from PT. He put the mower in the carport, but the sweeper in the shed.... so it has got to be moved because it is where the freezers are going to go... I won't say anything, just hope that he leaves as planned so I don't have to deal with this anymore.... why I say something and it gets ignored....:idunno:barnie:he:th:barnie:barnie:barnie Well, it's a done thing now. Regardless, it is still something that I cannot understand... I didn't speak in a foreign language.... So I will move it one day when I have a minute, before I try to do anything with the freezers.....I think that I will just cover the mower in the carport when I store it for the winter, instead of trying to hang a tarp, for extra protection.
I have decided to bring the small infared heater up here to the new house next trip since I am not using it at the rental, and then I will have some heat at least in the room I am working in. At least until the furnace situation gets figured out, hooked up and working.

Okay, time to head to the house and get a good shower and warmed up and some supper. Think some soup will be good tonight....

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
With some people you just can’t fix their stupidity. If you poured intelligence in Jim’s ear and packed it in with a sledge hammer, he would still be stupid. Hope he is gone soon! One of our neighbors who has asked many times to borrow our tractor finally found somebody dumb enough to lend him one. He unhooked the bush hog and then wondered what that noise was and why did the tractor suddenly wouldn’t back up very well....... He unhooked it st the bush hog instead at the PTO on the tractor, backed the shaft into the ground, breaking the yoke and U joint. I rest my case.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Regardless, it is still something that I cannot understand... I didn't speak in a foreign language....

Yes you did speak a foreign language. The clear and precise language of competence. It was incomprehensible to him because he is STUPID! Also possibly with complications of testosterone - when stupid males think that a woman knows nothing and thus they must think for her. This is very common in stupid males, not in all males, of course.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
With some people you just can’t fix their stupidity. If you poured intelligence in Jim’s ear and packed it in with a sledge hammer, he would still be stupid. Hope he is gone soon! One of our neighbors who has asked many times to borrow our tractor finally found somebody dumb enough to lend him one. He unhooked the bush hog and then wondered what that noise was and why did the tractor suddenly wouldn’t back up very well....... He unhooked it st the bush hog instead at the PTO on the tractor, backed the shaft into the ground, breaking the yoke and U joint. I rest my case.
OMG......Yep, those are the things that keeps us from loaning much out to anyone. Have a couple friends/farmers that my son would say go get it, it is at so and so.... and never give it a second thought. I would trust them with my life, my money and my son's inheritance.... Have a few other friends that I would do anything for, but not to loan them anything as they don't have the common sense to do something "right".... and if we ever borrow something and have something break on it... we will replace/repair whatever it is.... not bring it back and say "sorry" and not expect to fix it....

The thing that got to me, is that I never said one word about doing any sweeping.... and he just took it upon himself to do it without having a clue what to do with the grass.... then dumps it along the edge of the lawn in the corner... in unsightly piles.... REALLY..... That royally ticked me off. BESIDES, I put that sweeper together, it was MY NEW "TOY"...to try out for the first time...... and he took that away from me....Guess that sounds petty, but I was really looking forward to trying it out and "playing with it"..... And I wanted to make sure that everything was working right, and to try the different heights on the brushes.... he just dropped it down to the lowest setting so it dug down through the grass.... that wears out the brushes faster.... granted that is the first and LAST time he will ever use it.... but it was the principle of the whole situation.
He did get most all of it moved, putting it on the back of the truck and then taking it off... all by hand since there are no garden tools/rakes/nothing there.... up into the general garden area.... but one end is past where I wanted it. I will have to go over it and sweep it up and move about 10-15 feet where it is actually over the edge of where the lawn drops down so a natural end to the garden.....I was just soooooo aggravated.

He wasn't at the barn so I left him an envelope and texted him and left a voice mail.... Said where I left the money, hoped that he is able to get his life back on track in SC at his sisters and I wished him luck in the future....
(Just don't come back) to my place.....

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Okay, it is Friday.... raining and chilly damp. I went to PT this morning, and stopped at the barn & left the envelope for jim. Went by the piece of property next door to my son's house; that we had mowed and baled... 1 cutting this year with all the trashy stuff that I raked around and will get bush hogged off; ......BECAUSE the people that had bought it and then sold it less than 2 years later.... had planted a whole bunch of fruit trees on it.... that are sticking out into the field, and in the way for the hay...or if he decides to fence it off more for the sheep or some calves or something....
ANYWAY, ds said he doesn't want the fruit trees there. He did accidentally mow one, it was sticking out farther than the others and just clipped it.... but said that they are going to go..... SO, I am going to go get them all. He won't get to it anytime soon so am not worried about that.... he is still too preoccupied with her.... There are about 15+ that are alive, several that are dead.... Some peaches, pears, apples... maybe some plums as I am not sure of their leaves....
That means I will have the guy dig all the holes for them and then get them moved this winter..... I still plan to move my trees here from the house..... and they are quite a bit bigger so will need bigger holes... and I guess that I will have to do some serious pruning too.... but the ones on this property have only been in there about 2-3 years at most... so ought to transplant easier?????
So I went to the house after PT and drove in the end of the property where the old railroad bed was and is finally grassed over but would make a very good driveway.... and looked at the part of the yard I was planning on putting my peach trees... and deciding that the whole section there would make a decent orchard. I don't know if these trees are semi-dwarf or standard.... they don't look like dwarf but.... the pears are quite tall already... but they have a very upright growth anyway.... I will have to get out a tape measure of sorts, to get an appropriate distance.... have to actually talk to someone who knows more about spacing to see how far they need to be from each other..... Of course, I want to put the different types "together" for better pollination.... don't have any idea of what varieties they are as the tags are completely faded..... Actually I am going to go online and do some research....

So for no cash outlay for trees, I will be getting a small orchard on the property.... and think that putting up the fencing will be good so that I can run the chickens and future turkeys in there too.....and to keep a dog in and that will help keep the deer out.....(or I will be eating venison!!!!). Just have to get the spots marked.... and get him to dig the holes while he is here.... NEVER EVER PLANNED ON 20 OR SO TREES..... but not going to let them get cut down.... WOW... just because my son doesn't want to be bothered with them on the lot next door to his house....
So I am thinking that in the next couple of days, when it isn't raining, I will get out there and get some pointed stakes and put them where they need to be for digging. for whenever he comes.... don't want to put it off or I will be rushing to get it done on the day he comes to do the boxwoods and all...

So on the other side of this old rr bed.... which the actual rr bed would be impossible to plant anything in and that's okay.... I think I will put in the raspberry plants that I was thinking of.... maybe not as many as I originally thought.....but that is for next year..... the trees will be enough of a big undertaking.....

Also studied the couple of "trees" in the general garden area.... I think that the dogwood will go nicely where all the boxwoods are coming out.... and the rose a sharon can go down along the dirt road side, and the crepe myrtle.... I am not sure. That will take care of all the stuff in what used to be the garden.... although there is a good sized area still useable.... I will probably wait to get them moved(maybe next year) after I can see what it all looks like.......there is another bush there, not too big, that I have no idea what it is, and will wait for spring/summer to see what it blooms or looks like.

Want to get the yard stuff cleaned up, trimmed, bxwds taken out.... so I can really get a feel for how it looks....

Got a price on the kitchen stuff... says it ought to not take more than 1 1/2 to max 2 days.... most of the material is there as we are going to reuse the plywood that is the "sides" where the upright skinny "pantry" cabinet slides in and out, to redo the fronts of the 2 doors and one drawer that doesn't match.... and take out the "breakfast bar" and get the butcher block top on the made-smaller cabinet next to the enlarged fridge space.....said max $1,000.....I don't think that is bad.... but I have to do the outside stuff first.... I asked and he said that to give him like a week or 2 notice; and they could work it in. Since it is his brother that is going to do the outside stuff....and that is a priority for me besides the floor sanding that is scheduled... and that I am trying to pay as I go so not to get a big debt..... he said not a problem. They are plenty busy he said, and I think that he doesn't "need" this job too bad... so that is all good. And he knows that I really had not planned on this but since I got the butcher block piece at a discount.... I would like to get it done.
Before that though I need to get the bathroom done too......which means the wall partly torn out.... and that is the trim boards replaced to match the rest in the bedroom.... I am going to wait on the permanent door to see what I really want, like my farmer suggested; and can use that accordion type door for the time being to close the opening to the bathroom....

Well, it is really raining out.... not pouring, but we are getting a decent steady rain.... PERFECT for the grass and all....really cool.... 57 up to only 64 today... wish I had gotten the rest of the daylily plants in.... I am going to use the weed eater again and scalp the ground then get the new plants in, and take some of the grass sweepings and mulch around them all. Too bad I didn't get that done yesterday....
I did get all the shelves hosed off, and they are getting "rewashed" today... so ought to be able to go in the shed tomorrow or Sunday....but I gotta move the sweeper first....D@#%.....
I am going to go make something to eat.... didn't eat lunch so will just eat an early dinner... my stomach is growling. Do some online research on the fruit trees while I am eating.... Have some mail to go through.... get some stuff organized for packing to move.... just chill out in the wet afternoon and evening....