Farmerjan's journal - Weather

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
Miss @farmerjan,

How easy or hard would it be to split up the business between you and your son? It seems that he will continue to devote more and more of his attention to his girl friend and thus less and less time to you and your shared business. Do you think you could start selling off your share of the business (mostly cattle, not equipment), thus making it easier to take medical leave to have your knees done and give you time to recuperate. Then once you have recovered, perhaps you can start building back up your own business (cattle, etc.) and have your own helper(s). I may be way off base here, but it seems that your son will continue to devote more time to his girl friend and less time to you and your shared business. I hate to see you get squeezed out and see a good bit of your investment in your cattle go down in value due to neglect on his part (and inability to make up on your part).

Senile Texas Aggie

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Senile_Texas_Aggie the farming "business" is kinda complicated and there is no way for me to get out without giving up my animals. It would be a very unpleasant and difficult situation with him afterwards.... Not going there at this point.
I will give it some more time as I feel like there are some cracks in this situation again.... sad to say I am hoping she gets restless again.... might fix it for good. She is not known to stay in a situation for long term.... I just get aggravated and here is a good place to vent without any real "backlash".... or things getting back to my son or anyone else close to the situation. So, thanks for the suggestion, I have considered it. But not ready for that yet. If I get out, it will be with as many of my animals, and "cow families" as possible.
There will be a few changes coming especially if the knees get done and I get going and am more mobile again which I fully expect. The exceptionally good ankle result, has me wanting to do the knees right this minute.... but I need to do both at the same time in the interest of one time down, and one time pain, and both the PT guys saying that I will do much better in the long run. Both of them have been doing this for many years, they are 40's and late 30's.... so not new out of school, so have seen many patients. And I HAVE to have that same positive feeling with the knee dr as I had with the ankle dr.....

On another note..... I am again on this wonderful internet at the new house. Can not believe that I don't have to wait to get a connection and that it just stays there... not comes and goes. It will be worth the extra cost over the one I had at the other house.
It has been partly cloudy - partly sun all day. Nice day, temps probably in the 70's as I haven't been at the stone house for several hours, and haven't moved the thermometer up to this house yet. There is a light breeze, I did one load of clothes and brought more with me so have a second load in the machine now. I will get the rest hung out and then take them in tomorrow afternoon as there is rain and storms coming in on Tuesday.....
I dug some of the daylillies and one patch of irises and brought them up. Then when I got here I started work on the baseboard heater panels. Got the edges of the one set done so they could get turned over to dry. Did the second set for the LR and will do the edges the next time. I also came in and did the tops that are attached to the wall in both the LR and the BR. It is unbelievable how they blend right in with the dark brown baseboard that runs along the bottoms of the walls in both rooms. I wasn't thrilled with the fact that the brown only came in gloss, as the white for the DR I got in a semi gloss and really like that..... but they really don't look too bad in the gloss ... it's called rich leather brown or something like that. The only brown I could get in a can of "brush on paint" , rather than a spray can. Didn't want to try any kind of spray paint with the newly painted walls.... and my not very good ability with spray paint in general. But I am pretty happy with this even if it is gloss.
I have to get a couple more of the "sponge type" brushes. The one I tried to clean did not hold it's shape very well, and they are cheap enough that tossing them is not the end of the world. I could maybe keep them in a plastic bag and then use them again.... did that with the roller for the wall paint instead of washing it after each use, then washed it at the end.... worked good. But I am not going to sweat it though. I am trying to make sure I do several different places when I have one color open. I am going in to move the drawers that my son still hasn't trimmed the sides to get them back in the bathroom cabinet.... and sand the tops of the 2 heater tops in the utility room, so that when I do the edges and whatever else I have, I can do those tops too and that should be the last time with the brown. Since the hallway ones are white, and for now I don't think I will change that, I think that as soon as I get the brown ones back in their respective rooms, I will do the white ones in the hallway along with the DR ones. Plus I need to get them out of the hallway for the floor sanding guy. The bedroom ones I will put back on in the next couple of days since all I am waiting on is the edges to dry and the tops in there. I plan to do the sanding of the utility room ones this afternoon before I go back down to the other house. I am going out to hang the clothes now, and then plant the stuff I brought up so that they will be in the ground for the next rain.... get them settled in. They will need some splitting up in a year or 2 but for now they will be in a place they can grow and bloom maybe next year.

Needed to take a few minutes break, time to get to work before I get fired!!!!!:lol::bow:bow:lol::lol::lol:

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, back again. quitting for the evening, it is already dark out. Sure is getting dark earlier....

The stink bugs have come out.... There were dozens on the porch today, I just keep stepping on them. UCK :somad:barnie:sick:sick:sick:sick. Hadn't noticed any up until today.

DS came by the house, with her of course, to bring me back my plastic sheet that I used to cover the hay with. I am going to cut it and use it to cover the 2 doors when he comes to do the floor sanding. I will put it on the kitchen and DR sides of the door frames as he will be doing the threshold in each doorway. Use the painters tape and that will help to keep some of the dust out of the rest of the house. There is a door to the BR I can close that is on the inside of that door frame. He asked how things were going, and I was painting another of the pieces of the heating panels, and then was going in to do the tops of the 2 heaters in the utility room. He said that he would get to the plumbing on the sink tomorrow, and I said that it was already done, that the guys who came and finished up the deck boards had it on their list and they did it. And that there had been a leak in the hot water pipe after they got it done, and turned the water on, so had to fix that too, I said the only thing I hadn't had them do was the washing machine water faucets; they leak too a little; and then I made it a point of saying that I moved the drawers because I wanted to get to the baseboard to get it painted. He said to her, mom got tired of waiting for me to fix the water..... and I didn't comment. Then he said I will do those drawers tomorrow they have been there 2 weeks, and I said, more like 4 since I had the closing 6 weeks ago.
They both really liked the dark brown for the heater panels, said that the tops really blended into the dark baseboard and it looks real good. Then I got all the "everyone keeps saying that they will help move when you get ready"..... They had to get going though, because they had to go get her daughter....
And they could not believe how good the power washing made the deck look. They saw it when it was all black and stained looking.... kept saying that it really looked almost like new. Then he said that his father had a pressure washer, and she said her dad did too.... no one mentioned that when I first said about having it done....

And he brought up about the fruit trees again, that he did not want them there in the field.... and that there were some more in the back part of the field, behind the row of trees where there used to be a fence... So now I will take a ride and go see what else there is. Said to get any I wanted that he would just cut them down to get them out of the field where the hay was we used to cut before it got all grown up in junk & weeds. Guess I am going to have a pretty big orchard here....

Also found out that j has been staying at his house since he sold the camper, and that he hasn't left yet, but now is leaving tomorrow....didn't know if I had said goodbye or anything. I just said that I had left him money for the lawn stuff on friday and said good luck at his sisters in SC, since he had said he was leaving Friday night. She mentioned that the house was spotless and totally organized.... that she told j that he would make someone a good wife.... and I said yeah as long as they accepted his organization his way and didn't want to do anything different....

That is all I said, and I don't need to go say anything else. DS can't see how he got on my nerves.

So, time to go home. Was going to go with him to Blacksburg tomorrow to the dr/therapist that he is still seeing; then go to Rural King, as that has become a habit when we are down that way; but he is going in 2 weeks again, and will get the injections.... said I was welcome to go either or both.... I wasn't going to bring it up, after he said something last week during hay making.... so I said well, I would just go in 2 weeks and he said that would be great because sometimes driving home after the injections is difficult. I am not in the mood to go tomorrow anyway. He did say he would be by to do the faucets and the drawers and asked if I would be here, and I said I would be in and out, but the door wasn't locked or anything. I have a couple of things to pick up tomorrow, and should go get feed before it rains.... I can get caught up on some more here, and maybe get the rest of the baseboard heater panels painted. If need be I can bring them into the BR since all the plastic is still down on the whole floor/carpet. I do have to get the plants planted, maybe get more of them from the house in the morning. I would like to maybe get some of the tires and odd stuff on the truck to come too, on a trip up the hill. I can do small loads before my knees start to hurt too much. I really want to start moving other stuff but am holding off for the sanding.

If he is here tomorrow when I am here, I am going to ask about the calves getting weaned....push that a little. I will move the others the end of the week....Want to get the bull in and the heifers that are going to the dairy all at the same time. They will fit on the trailer so will be one good load/trip/ 2 places to go. Then get the other heifers that need to be bred up to the nurse cow pasture, and will get the bull, back in 6-8 weeks and go right back up there with them. Or use the other easy calving bull that is in the bull lot right now. Besides after this front that is supposed to come in on Tues/Wed, heads on out, there is another stretch of dry weather and we will need to get on the other fields of orchard grass....then it will be getting on to corn chopping time in mid-late Oct.... time will go faster than you realize. And the wall/doorway needs to be opened up at the house so the bathroom can get worked on.....

Hoping to hear from the guy on the boxwood/oil tank situation.....with a price, so I can figure out how to budget for it. I forgot my yearly car ins was due, so that is going to put a dent in the budget.....and I have to see about my truck brakes situation.....

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Couple of quick things. Floor guy said that he looks to be here maybe the end of this week... early next week. So that is a REAL PLUS to have an idea of how soon. Have left him a check for 1/2 as agreed.

Guy was here with another guy who does the tree stuff... he is on "no duty" for a bit after the kidney stone surgery... still has a stint but said that he is feeling okay considering.... They came as son was doing the faucets and the drawers.... which he cut too much off so now is going to glue them back on and just sand down instead of cut. I am just not very happy with it all, but since there is a possibility that I will do things different in the bathroom maybe next year due to no linen closet type storage and I hate the lights and huge sink top and could easily put a nice linen closet and a smaller sink and all in that space and be much more useful, I am not going to say much. He did apologize and said that he measured them but cut off too much..... I am glad that they can't bee seen on that side when they are closed.... and he took the faucet to see if he can get the inside parts because I don't like the new kind he brought to replace them. But I have no water now since he had to turn it off to get it drained down enough to get them off ; they are up high at least.... but I am not going to wait forever to get the water turned back on...
So ds said that they could just pile all the junk-boxwoods on the back of the truck and take it across the road and dump it and we could burn it this winter.... we rent that place from the same people I bought this from. Gee, why didn't he offer that to me when I first mentioned it???? BECAUSE he thought I shouldn't take out the boxwoods.... well, they all were looking at them and the guy who came to give me the price, said with the vines growing up through them, that they would be getting choked out in a few more years. And that they are soooo big, that you couldn't prune them down as they would never fill in and it would probably kill them anyway.... DS agreed..... :ep:th:he:barnie Yeah, because someone else said it.... he makes me so mad that he thinks I am not smart enough to think these things out, besides that I want to see out the DR windows at more than a huge wall of green bushes....

So, they are going to get back to me with a price to chip it all (chipper is $400/day....ouch) or load on truck then take over to dump.....

Wound up testing a farm yesterday afternoon that I hadn't planned on, and ds wasn't sure when it would suit HER for him to help me test the big 500+ cow herd this week,. so I called the girl that helps, yesterday, and it suited her to do it today (tues) so I called the farm and it works for them so I am going up to that farm this afternoon. Wasn't planning to do it until the end of the week, but she is tied up then, and who knows when it would suit ds girlfriend....
Was supposed to go to NC for a check up on the ankle but it got cancelled and so that is just as well at this point. They didn't have anything until end of Oct but it is just a check up so not worried about it being put off til then.

Heading up now to run a couple of errands, then go on to the farm. Did not get the feed the other day, I will feed some pellets from the bin and the calves won't love them but they will eat them. They like the sweet feed better. The cows/bull will come in for most anything if I call them. Really want to get them in and moved around the end of the week.

Rain/showers today.... cooler. 60's. Looking to get more/harder rain this afternoon. Got the plants in that I brought up so they ought to get watered in okay. It's getting there....
Excited about the floor getting done sooner than later.....

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think you need good cattle dog instead of DS. ;) No back talk, no disagreements, NO GF! LOL The dog would move the cattle when and where you wanted so you could truck them to where ever you want. One dog does the work of 3 men!

DS is probably a great guy and great with the haymaking, but for your own cows, get a trained cattle dog! :D =D

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Ridgetop ... I hear ya !!!!! Thing is, I have 2 cows that HATE dogs....one has been through a coyote attack, and they will run a dog down..... literally will not work for a dog... Vet used to bring his border collie that he uses on several farms.... and he would have to put her back in the truck because of one of these cows.... and now there are 2...... I like to see a dog work cows, but I honestly prefer the cows hate them as I know that they will protect the calves til "death do them part" ......it is a mixed blessing. So, yeah, like the reasoning.... and mostly agree with all of it....
Yes DS can be a great guy.... just lately his priorities are just screwed up.... and I am just going to work my own stuff around it.... Most all mine will come to call with a little feed as enticement.... just takes me a little longer to get around with the knees....

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just got here to the new house, about 10p.m.; from testing the big farm. Only 485 cows went through the barn.... they are calving some but there are still a bunch of dry cows.... I think the test the end of Oct and then the Nov and Dec tests will be alot bigger and longer as they ought to be up to the 525+ numbers with all the cows due to come in fresh.
Went well, no problems tonight.... was done and left the barn at 9p.m..
Boy has it rained this afternoon and evening.... Really steady and for a bit it was raining real hard.... Supposed to pass through and now they are saying sun tomorrow.....

Didn't get to do any of the errands on the way as I got going later than I thought from here. So that is on the list for the morning as it will be too wet to much else for awhile....

I'm ready to head home, but wanted to stop and check the radar since I know that the internet won't be worth a plugged nickle with the rain, at the other house.
Have to pack all the samples in the morning, and drop them off when I leave. Might see about digging a few more clumps of the daylillies and irises and maybe the peonies too and get them set in here while the ground is quite wet....

Also got permission to pick all the pears I want from the neighbors' tree, so will have to get to that tomorrow if at all possible. I imagine quite a few came down with this rain. Don't really have the time to can them, but I will make time as I like pears and don't want them to go to waste. Saw another tree where they are all falling to the ground... might stop and ask if they don't want them could I come and get them. Geneva said at the farm testing that they would love to come help get some if I had anyone else offer free fruit like that.... might just take her up on that as she and her sister would be alot better at the picking part.... she said she really likes pears and they never seem to put any up. So if that other tree would be available... might just call her and see if they can come and we can get them together. But if nothing else, I will make it a point to go get the ones at the neighbors tree, for me and see how many there are.

Time to head down the hill...