Farmerjan's journal - Weather

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sounds like DS is "realizing" that he is slacking in some areas. That's a good sign. Maybe the "hot to trots" are calming down a little.

Mine is "supposedly" broken off with his gf. Yeah, heard that before. You know what I mean.

Sure hope the "sand man" gets to the floors this week!! I know it would be extremely welcome!!! And, yeah, burn those boxwood! Save $$, You can mulch those trees with....old hay, cut grass, you have both. ;)

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Pears! What a blessing! I quarter, core, peel and can them in a light syrup. I add the juice of 1 lemon to each batch and lemon peeling in each jar. They are so yummy, hope you get a lot of pears.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, it is Wed. eve. I came to the house this morning, did a few things, then spent some time on the internet doing stuff for work, and other stuff for me. Paid a few bills that needed paying....
We had 1.4 inches yesterday with that all day rain. Today started out sunny, but it is very windy. Cool too, I wore a long sleeved T-shirt with a flannel shirt....unbuttoned but still needed it to keep the wind out. Didn't have a sweatshirt up here at the house and didn't want to go back down the other house.

So I had to go to the bank, that I meant to do on the way to or from testing yesterday, but just forgot. I then went by Lowe's...right down the hill from the bank branch... and wandered around a bit. Picked up the new faucets for the washing machine since DS can't get the right type of "flat washers" to go in them......since I wanted the same type that look old fashioned.... brass/copper colored as opposed to the bright silver color of the ones designated as "washing machine faucets". Looked at some other flooring for the bathroom since taking out the tub/surround.... it is going to need new flooring and so may as well do the whole floor which is very small anyway....5x8 maybe? Have to measure it. If I do something like a water proof squares,tiles, or planking.... then if I change the sink and cabinet, I will be able to add to the floor..... as opposed to something like the vinyl flooring/ linoleum-type that is there that is rolled out and then cut. But there is so much to look at and I just wasn't in the "looking/studying" of different types for very long.
So, I came home, got the samples packed, and came up the hill to talk to DS as he was supposed to be cutting hay. Well, he had cut one field, but didn't see him. Called him and he said he had just left, he had a scratchy throat and has to go to a deposition tomorrow so wanted to go home, get a shower and get some sleep. He has had to be at work at 6 to get the "oiler truck" ready to go so that when the rest of the guys get in to work they can started on these roads that they have been working on doing the oiling, putting down the "gravel" that makes these roads the "scenic designation".....
Plus, it seems the kids kept him and the gf up quite a bit of last night.....gee wiz, I feel so sorry for them..... like it has never happened to countless other parents over the years.....How many of us have had to go to work or do other stuff with little or no sleep because we have to take care of the kids first....She can't handle it.....more than one.....with the sisters 2 kids there with her own daughter, to help out the sister, while she is taking the other family members back and forth to drs and cancer dr appts and the other to dialysis a couple times a week. Oh well, not my problem.... except if it is going to contnue to affect the haying as we are getting to the "real fall weather" and the time will be limited now. Let's see how it plays out.
Also saw lights at ds house last night and I texted him.... seems that jim hasn't left for SC yet..... as long as I don't have to deal with him.... but I am afraid that ds is going to get stuck with him staying at ds's house.....not being able to get him out..... I am staying as far away from that as I can.
I need to take the mower and the new sweeper down to the stone house and do the lawns one last time.... intend to bring all the swept grass and leaves up to the new garden area.... but I don't want jim anywhere near it. Plus I need to get the trailer with the couple of chicken coops/runs up here to this house so I can start to get the one coop together....move my purebreds here to the property.... ds will want to have jim do it since he is still here..... I wish he would just go to his sisters......well, I will wait a little bit on the trailer and chicken pens until after the boxwood/cleanup situation is done. I can borrow a friends small trailer to take the mower down and bypass the situation here.....It is only about 4 miles all on a dirt back road.... not something I need to get uptight about. Need to get a 2" ball, since I don't have one on this truck.
I have a PT appt tomorrow, and then hope it will be warmer and no breeze so I can get the baseboard heating panels painted. The ones for the DR need the edges done, and the ones for the hall need to be done while I have them off. They are not in bad shape, no rust that needs to be worked on, so just painted with the same white I am using on the DR ones. I really like that "semi-gloss" that I put on them.

Been using the infared heater here in the bedroom where I can close the doors, to make the room comfortable to use the computer.

Oh yes, I forgot to say @Baymule , I did bring up 3 plastic outside chairs....to use here. Have one inside, one on the porch and one on the deck....so I do have a place to sit when I am doing stuff.....besides the stairs to upstairs..... and have a comfortable room temperature to do this; since I cannot get service worth 10 cents when the weather was wet and windy.....

Last edited:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Your son is just going to have to figure things out. As long as you have enough hay for "your" cattle, or do you store it all at his place? Slowly separating yours from his is a good thing. As for Jim, you are right, stay out of that one!

I love outside chairs, we have them scattered in several places. They are so handy. How nice that you have a warm room, REAL internet and a CHAIR to sit in! :yesss:

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
There won't be any problems with the hay as there are several of his heifers up here with mine. He won't be spiteful or anything, and will keep them all fed.... It is the sq bales that I really want to get made and all so he can get some income back from them.... and I want to put some of them in the barn for the calves during the winter up there when they come in the creep gate. Usually I go around and pick up the bales that miss getting on the wagons.... so manage to get 4-10 out of a field at a time and that is about all my knees can handle getting in the barn at a time.... and having to deal with the nosy cows coming to the truck when I am unloading.... pulling them off the truck and such.... YOU KNOW how HELPFUL the horses can be.... well the cows are as bad or worse....!!!!

Time to head down the hill. PT tomorrow, then work at the house I hope. Need to go up and see how many more fruit trees are on the other side of the tree line.... get a count then get stakes to mark the spacing... Will go pick up my 2wd truck tomorrow.... ds said he thinks he has a radiator to fit, says it is not leaking that bad, so I just have to make sure I check the water until it gets changed....Maybe he will do the rear spring on it at the same time????? The gauges all work in that truck too, so it will be easier to keep an eye on it.... If he doesn't get to it, I will just take it back to Wayne's and get him to do the radiator.... Brakes are the most important, and they are fixed. I can get by with the other for a little bit.... we have to get this hay done first.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
My hay guy, Russell, got a promotion at work, has a company truck and now doesn't have any "early days" but must work until 5 every day, then the drive home. It has cut into his hay making. I've been getting antsy, didn't have any hay! He texted me this evening to tell me that he was baling a jiggs berrmuda field and will do coastal bermuda this weekend. Whew!

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thursday. We started out sunny, and now is cloudy and we are supposed to be getting a possible few showers as a little front goes through...not supposed to be much. Haven't talked to ds but he said he was going to cut more today. There is a slight chance, 20% , for some showers on Monday... but it is going to be cooler this weekend. It is a cool day with these clouds, and feels just chilly.....

Got my first delivery of sample boxes for work here at the new house. Used all the ones at the old house at the big herd on Tuesday. That is good. I was going to move the 3 sets of shelves in the building but I just saw that we had a sprinkle... so they will wait for maybe tomorrow. I don't want to do any painting of the baseboard heater panels, but might do the white ones in the house. I did bring up the infared heater, and been using it a bit in the bedroom when on the computer at night. I could put it in there, crank if up a bit and do the tops of the panels in there. Also noticed the one small one in the bathroom has some rust spots, so will get it taken out and sanded and do it while I am doing all the others. Going to use the same semi-gloss white that I like on the DR panels. The bathroom could maybe use an ivory or cream rather than white probably, to match the wallpaper background in there, but the white will be fine. It will go with more things if I wind up changing anything else in there.

Thanks for the compliment in your thread @Ridgetop , but I don't think I am any better than anyone else. I think both of us do what we have to do....period. Like those lambs, you did what you had to, and then "pay the price" in aches and stuff the next day. Did that at 30 and 40 and 50 and 60 and will keep doing it until I cannot move or get up or whatever. It does make you think that maybe it is time to give it up, but then I wonder what I would do; and if I sat around and just did sedentary stuff, then my health will go to he// in a hand basket and I have no intention to have to go to dr appt after dr appt for this and that and the other. The "family dr" I had to have... Primary care Physician... they call them now; their office is bugging me for a check up and that I need to schedule a colonoscopy, and then it is time for the flu shot and the shingles and pneumonia shot..... NOT HAPPENING.....then it will be for another something.....

I think that I might go down and dig the irises and the few daylillies and peonies. I have to see about getting the mower and sweeper down to that house in the next week. I will blow some of the grass out the discharge on the spots where I take out the plants and you will never know that they were there. Owner doesn't like the plants anyway. His son mowed all the daffodils this spring that I was mowing around in the lawn until after they finished blooming. Get the lawn all cleaned up, mowed and bring all the swept grass, back up here since it will be really thick and I don't want to leave it looking like that.... and I can use the stuff so just load it on the truck as I get it swept up, and bring it up here for the garden area for next year on a few trips up here. I will just do the real thick stuff, and there are tons of leaves starting to come off the maple tree there and they are fine for the chickens and the garden. I think that I will work in that house, I need to get some more boxes from the cardboard box recycling "dumpster" so think I will go do that. I want to start packing my Liberty Blue dishes out of the china cabinet so they can get put into the china cabinet here as soon as the sanding dust is done. I can't seem to get motivated today.... I think the weather has hit me since I was thinking it would be sunny and I could do certain things. It is just chilly/cold feeling today. I'd rather curl up with a book in this chilly weather.... I think I just want to get going with moving stuff.... and I want the water turned back on here now that I got the new "faucets" for the washing machine. I'm just frustrated today..... Don't mind me.

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's been overcast and chilly here too. Well, the actual temp is not that chilly I guess, but it's been overcast all day. We have had a few fires in the woodstove in a couple of evenings. I love a nice fire, it's cheery. I have a hard time motivating myself when the sun isn't out also, I know the feeling.

I agree with not stopping being actively working, whether it's employment, or on your own chores. Dh's dad had a stroke at 55, then took up walking to help his recovery. He quit when he was 80, and then just sat around watching tv. His physical health plummeted and within a few months was in a wheelchair. I think that physical activity is also important for mental agility and fitness.

Hey Jan, I finished the sidepull! Haven't used it yet, but I'll put a picture on my journal page.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, I am here at the stone house. Wound up putting the baseboard heater panel together in the bedroom and it really does look good. Don't want to put the 2nd one together as that is the wall they are going to make the door bigger.... so don't want it to get scratched/scuffed up. It was too chilly to do any painting. Did get the plastic taped up over the 2 doors to "seal off" the LR and hallway from the rest of the house for the sanding. I can go in the back door when it is being done... and now can go in the front and into the bedroom and around. Trying to be pro-active.....
Tomorrow is supposed to be sunny again, and even if it is only in the 60's will feel warmer. I have decided to get the rest of the plants in the morning, and have several bags of garbage to drop off at the dumpster....

DS spent 5 hours in depositions with lawyers about the tower... now the crazy witch is trying to say he colluded with Verizon and used his "state connections" to get the tower on his property and get the board of supervisors to pass it... This woman has totally lost her marbles.... he said that she also went after his character in a letter to the VA state attorney general ?????? I mean REALLY????? She really has a few loose screws, and I hope that this bankrupts her..... ds lawyer said that the 2 attorneys she had there are like $500/HR types..... said that there were several there on the thing on ZOOM... ds told me he told his lawyer when they left there, that when this is all over, he wants to go after her for defamation of character and everything else he can go after her for..... there is no basis for what she is saying, other than she seems to think that this might get the tower taken down...???? She is really really nuts. She said he was of low moral character, that he did underhanded deals.... and then called him a LIAR..... she dug her own grave there. He is not perfect by any means.... but he is emphatically NOT a LIAR..... one thing he really has always been very very a big issue with him. I could tell that it hurt him, and he was so stunned about it. It did get brought up that if he is the one that doesn't care about others, that if he was so terrible, why was he the one that stopped to help her husband when he rolled his vehicle last year, and called her after she had driven right by and never even stopped to see if she could assist at the accident....which it had just happened about 10 minutes before she went down the road behind him.... and my son was about 5 minutes behind her.... and her husband was so thankful that ds had stopped and then stayed and called her and she came back up the road and got practically hysterical..... yet she said she didn't care about the people that were nearly caught in the fire 2 years ago when their car caught fire and couldn't get a signal and wentup the road about a half mile to get a signal to call out and that is when this whole getting a tower came to discussion....her actual words were, and they asked him to say it out loud in the deposition....and it is on record from a much earlier clash with her in the beginning.... "I don't give a F@#K about those people who didn't have service when the fire got started"....
@rachels.haven .... another of the MASSACHUSETTS finest idiot A$$holes...... now you know why we moved away from the crazy northeast nutcases.....

So, I didn't get as much accomplished as I should have today. I did get the new aerator thing on the end of the faucet in the laundry room.... the other was so clogged and crappy.... put the 2 faucets there at the washing machine for him to put on as there aren't the wrenches there.... did some little piddly stuff. But I just could not get into it today. Got a list of "to do" things for tomorrow..... then I went by to see what he was mowing and that is when we talked about the deposition.... went down to the barn and got him 2 cans of fuel for the tractor so he could keep mowing.... then came down the hill. I have a pile of mail and stuff I am going to go through... and put all the papers in a bag for burning....or composting for the garden....

No cardboard in the dumpster, so will have to go back by there in a day or 2. They just are not using much stuff so not much there. They had emptied it and I thought by now that there would be some, but only a couple of small boxes and some crappy stuff that I couldn't reach either....I like the boxes that their frozen FF come in.... nice and heavy and good size for me to carry.... a few other ones I have gotten over the years that you get to know which are worth getting.

PT guy is going up to see his mom tomorrow in MD that had the replacements. And yes, the do complete removal on the ones that are bad, but it is still called the maako procedure... and it took 2 1/2 hours for BOTH to be done. And it is still less "invasive" as far as the tendons and ligaments are concerned with their attachment to the bones...They also "glue" the incisions, not stitch or staple.... my ankle was stitched and the incision and stitches places are noticeable... He promised to tell me more next week at my next appointment.

Gotta get the house - bathroom - done and get moved before I make any definite plans for the surgery too.... not going to have the same aggravation with not being able to go 20 ft to use the bathroom instead of clear across the house and through 2 doors and 2 different steps/levels....of course, I plan on going into a rehab for the first 20 days after anyway.... she had it done last week... so about 8 days now....

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
You've got to be kidding!! The evil witch is suing and making all sorts of wild claims? Why, o why is good food, water and oxygen wasted on human garbage like her when it could be given to a murderer on death row. She needs to run off the road in a single car accident and expire. yeah, I said it. She is a total waste of space. I hope your son goes after her and makes her pay.