Farmerjan's journal - Weather

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I haven't had much chance to play with my battery chainsaw, but I love it so far. It is much lighter weight wise than the Husky we have. It is a Ryobi, that brand comes in value packs too. Battery power tools are right up in my wheelhouse, they are lightweight and no cord to fool with.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
We like DeWalt too. And we especially like that when we buy a new tool with a battery, that increases how many batteries we own that we can keep charged and they are interchangeable for all the tools.
Until they change the voltage ... again. I have a 9.6V DeWalt drill and flashlight. The Ni-Mh batteries are no longer good. And a 12V DeWalt drill, the Ni-Mh batteries are no longer good. And a 20V drill, batteries still good, though small - 2 AH. Often it costs about as much for a new device with a couple of batteries and a charger for them as it does to buy 2 new batteries which is how I ended up with new equipment. Though looking now it seems the price of batteries has improved quite a bit. Might see about getting replacements for the 9.6V and 12V.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
:weee So happy for you to have Deb for a friend! She will give you more confidence about tackling those home improvement items. You will pick up everything really fast. I agree that she is probably somewhat lonely and lost without her husband. Especially since they were both young when he passed away and just planning their retirement. You guys will have a lot of fun working on the house. You will have to have someone lay the bathroom floor with your bad knees but the rest should be easy work for you and Deb.

So happy to hear that your kitchen is coming along the way you wanted and no extra expense on hiring someone! :yesss: With Deb's experience she will be able to suggest ways to get what you want (like the double doors) and you will have fun together.

Good to hear that you got such a good result on the haying this year. Last year was so wet that you had problems. And getting another customer who will buy hay, as well as the floor guy who you can pay with beef! SCORE! :highfive:
All that is left will be your knee replacement and I will be looking forward to hearing how that goes since I might still need one. My right leg kinks out sideways from the knee due to the ligament damage I had 28years ago. I keep denying that I need a replacement knee, but it would straighten out my leg and probably make it easier on the rest of my joints. I have to see how yours goes and about the new type of procedure.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Monday eve. Still wet. Showers, drizzly stuff all day and looks like a bit tomorrow morning too but supposed to get sunny by mid day???? Don't know how much yet but probably in the neighborhood of an inch or so in the 3 days. Not near as much as we could have, but enough to sure make it muddy/mucky out there.
Yes, I am really pleased every time I walk in the kitchen, just to see how much taking out that little island thing made it look bigger. And getting that skinny pullout pantry out of there and the closed in feeling of the tall plywood sides out too. And being able to reuse the plywood as we took them out in one piece with a little "finessing" them and didn't tear up the ceiling or the floor. Did reveal that the linoleum is on a sub floor that is over another piece of linoleum.... where the pullout pantry thing was they did the "new floor" around it so it has been there quite awhile. For now I am not going to worry about it as I won't be walking or tripping on it... and it I get a wider fridge down the road, then it will be mostly covered anyway. I am looking forward to next weekend when we will get the drawer she is making on the table saw which she said and I agree, she can be more precise with it being much more "stable" for cutting.... And then the butcher block top on and then I will put the food grade finish on it. I was going to do it now, but because of the floor sanding that is supposed to start the end of this week, don't want to have to deal with any of the fine dust settling and making even more sanding necessary between coats. So I will wait for all the sanding to be done, and then can do a couple of coats over a couple of days/nights when it has had time to set and dry well inbetween.

The silage bag that I brought home from a farmer who had most of one left from an emergency rebagging last year when one started to split.... is not going to be long enough. They thought there was about 150 ft left of a 200 ft bag.... but you can "count the folds" to see and it looks like there is only about 90-100 ft left. When you start it, you "waste about 10-15 ft on the first end, tying it off and folding it under so that it will be airtight, then the end you finish you also have to tie it off and so need enough again. We want at least 100+ feet of actual silage, so need at least a 150 ft bag. We could have bought it a little cheaper from him, but not going to take the chance that it will be too short for what we want as there is no "adding more" and starting another for 20-30 feet is a waste of time to set up and all.... it takes about 2 hrs or more, to get the bagger set up, the bag on the end and folded/tied off. and ready so that as the bagger moves slowly forward the bag unfolds as it feeds out around the silage. It is an ingenious machine, but you have to get it set right as there is no "reset". The only thing you can do is angle the bagger in very small increments to try to keep it straight. If you watched the video on the hay wrapper that @Senile_Texas_Aggie kindly posted, you will see and hear the comment about how it was not exactly straight. This will be a 9 ft bagger and bag, as opposed to the 8 ft one we normally use.... this will fill faster, and will obviously put more silage in. They figure a ton of silage per foot on the 8 ft, and 1 1/4 ton per foot on the 9 ft bag. So that means in the same amount of space we should get somewhere in the neighborhood of 125 ton of silage. Sounds like alot until you realize that we feed about 1/2 ton to a ton a day if we are feeding both feeder calves and older cows with new fall calves. Will last about 4 months so if we start in Dec it will be gone by the end of March. That depends on the weather too. We have quite a few cows calving this fall so will be feeding quite a bit. The corn in it will help with the energy.....and will stretch the hay although we should be good on hay.... unless he gets some new hay customers. Most of them want sq bales.... but he sold 30 or 40 rolls to a friend of his and I might be trading off some/all of the sanding for another 20 rolls.... Haven't talked to him since last week. I know that they can't do the coats of poly with this wet dampness as fast cuz it has to be dry inbetween. I will not have heat in here either.... another reason for wanting it getting it done sooner.... but that is life.

Had a farm call wanting to do the owner sampler test so had to take the meters and stuff up to him today. Will have to take computer and printer up when I pick up the samples, and equipment. Talked to 2 others, one said next week due to the daughter being gone who does alot of the milking now and most all the records, and the other gave me a choice of Wed morning at 3a.m. or Friday afternoon at 1:30 p.m.. Not hard to make that choice as I just do not get moving very fast in the morning with the knees and this is a set up equipment place. I could set up the night before, as I have done in the past, but I really just don't want to get up at 1:45 a.m., to drive there and be ready by 3 a.m. to test/milk. Maybe if they didn't hurt so much, but I am getting tired of the early morning hours. I don't mind the 4:30 and 5 a.m. ones so much, that are no set up.... like this past Friday.... or the 2 x herd that set up and first milking test was monday eve and I went back on Tues morning @ 5 a.m., with everything still in place. It has really hit me that I am getting tired of the crazy hours. If I was still doing alot, I also would be going to bed much earlier at night like I used to which would help with the getting off to sleep faster, and make getting up not so difficult. But with so many herds not testing regular, I don't have to get up for but a few in the mornings.... and you get out of the routine. Don't really want to get back into it either.
Have heard "unofficially" from 2 herds that they are looking for "exit strategies".... probably within the next year or 2. Both are retirement age, and I don't blame them one bit with no one to take them over. Hate to see more dairies going out, but the money is just not there consistently to stay in especially when you have to fight to find decent help and not having a "next generation" wanting to take it over. You can't have one good year and 3 years of bankrupt prices. I get it. So my job will be fading out anyway for several I think. I will keep what I have for as long as I feel up to it, and ds has said that he doesn't mind helping some, so a few might stay with for years yet.... as long as I do the computer stuff he says.... but you never know what is going to happen with his life..... So just take it one month at a time....

I am going to call it quits early. Headache is pretty much gone, but PT really worked on the knees today. HURT although it does feel better after. Said that maybe a stationary bike would help with the muscles and tendons and ligaments that are so tight and sore with the stretching....I don't know where I would put it....but I agree that it sure couldn't hurt and would be no weight bearing on the knees....Really have to see about having them done.... but gotta get into the house first. Doing more research on it and going to make a couple of consultation appts.... PT's mom is continuing to do well; although I had the other guy today.....but he said that things are looking good from what he had heard. He and his wife had their 2nd baby a month ago, so he is getting settled into a bit more of a routine, said it will be better when he starts sleeping better at night.... but their 3 year old is doing good with the baby andnot acting overly jealous. They are trying to make sure that he gets "his time" too so that is good.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
The screwy hours would get to me too. On a steady schedule it would be ok, but now it's so up-down up-down up-down on you that it's got to be hard to deal with. Throw in a couple of blown out knees and you've got a darn good reason to look at retirement. I hope you can get settled in your house soon, get the floors done, get all the things done so you can move in!

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
A stationary bike would be a real good thing. My sister had both her knees done and rode the bike to build the muscles around her knees before surgery. She noticed a big improvement in her muscle tone from it. She is very active, always moving, but the particular movement of cycling is what made the difference. She has been thrilled with her new knees. She says she didn't realize just how bad off she was and how much pain she was always in until she had them replaced.
There are always stationary bikes to be found at thrift stores.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Do check the thrift stores! I see them a lot when I go to them.

Yeppers -- I used to do some resets that were 3, 4, 5AM starts. No more! Oh, I get up at 3 for something I want to do -- or because I just can't sleep :D =D -- but, not for work anymore. If I couldn't make most of my own schedule, I wouldn't keep doing what I do but, so long as I can -- probably will. Retirement is something I want to do but, this CV-19 crap has put a little damper on my plans to quit 2021. I have been slowing down the amount of work I take on. Just not sure with this economy that I will totally stop this coming year. :idunno Tractor pays out 2021, that will help my mind & wallet.

Still adding a little farm income here & there. Increasing egg & chick sales. Heavy meat goats working. Trained to milk goats will be added this Spring .... it's all work but, I enjoy it.

Hey, every year that I work my SS ck increases. 😁 It adds up.

If my DD moves next Fall and I have that trailer to rent, I'll be almost rich. :lol: That will be pure income. Moving is HER idea...."more life to live" she says. ;)

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, it is 6 pm Tuesday. Have to sit for a few minutes, knees have been complaining the last hour. Been doing quite a bit today, and it is starting to get to me. The rain is gone and it was sunny and VERY NICE out today. Mid- 70's at least. I have also done 5 loads of laundry I brought up here and got it all hung out. Have 2 more loads to do and then will have to empty out some more drawers.
I got that special paint that is supposed to stick to shiny surfaces like the formica stuff that they used for the countertops and put on the walls between the cabinets and behind the fridge and the stove.... in pieces.... and not down to the floor but only down about half way. Sometime they are going to change, but for now, I am going to paint the panels and wall, behind the fridge, and where the stove goes, and am thinking that I might do the ones between the cabinets. This paint is thick like pudding, but is supposed to be the very best for sticking to any surface and be able to hold anything else if used for a "primer" coat. Seals whatever it is painted on and it is not anymore expensive than regular paint. So, I will let you know how it goes. They did tint it for me so it will be able to be used for paint for now. Got to tape off the edges of the counter, and the bottoms of the top cabinets and all so that I don't get it on the rest of stuff.
Then got to tape off the upper cabinets where I am going to touch up the ceiling, with the ceiling white I have. Hope that I can do a "touch up" type thing and not need to paint the whole ceiling....

So tomorrow supposedly my little 2wd truck is going to get a new set of leaf's in the spring that have been broken for a long time. I caught some grief from my son today that the truck wasn't up at the house, and I said well, no one said it needed to be there, and I took it home instead of the 4x4. If I don't know you want it, I can't just guess....I was a little ticked. So he "asked" if I would drive the 4x4 so they could work on it tomorrow. Once they get the spring on it, then they will put the new radiator in it.... Then I can take it and get the front end aligned so it won't keep wearing the one tire like it has been doing lately. I have been "using up" some older partially worn tires but want to get it fixed up for the winter right.
So we'll see.

I am going in and do the taping and see if I can stand long enough to get the first coat of this paint on the sections I want to do. I think it is supposed to be nice tomorrow too. But down in the low 40's at least tonight. Then get colder after the front comes through on Friday. Maybe I can get the 2nd coat on and then that will be done. Do the ceiling too if I can get it taped. Hoping/planning to get this done before the sanding gets done....

If it is dry enough the plan is to get the heifers in and get them moved, tomorrow. I am seriously considering taking the 2 Jersey young cows too, because I don't know when I am going to do the knees and I want them to be milked and taken care of the way a dairy cow should be taken care of.
I will pick up the samples from the owner sampler farm and do their computer work on the way home, then come home and pack them and send them off. It was too wet to get the trailer backed up to the catch pen up at the nurse cow field. Trying to not make too many trips. I do have another farm I want to test up near there, but not until Thursday. Haven't heard back.
So I am going out to get all stuff in the 4x4 truck so that I will take it home this evening and then the 2wd one will be here. Gotta go find a sweatshirt it is really cooling off since the sun is going down.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Getting ready to head down the hill. Put the second coat on the wall behind where the fridge goes, and it looks 100% better with the crappy formica stuff on the wall covered. So I taped under the little cabinet there to the right, and did that little spot with the first coat between the upper and lower cabinets. then there is that funky sink in the corner to the right.... then the counter and cabinets to the right and around that corner to where the stove will go. (which is directly opposite the fridge on the opposite wall) Gotta quit... so I will clean off the counters and get the cabinets taped underneath and tape along the formica counter where it meets the backing between the cabinets and get the first coat on them tomorrow. It just looks so much cleaner.
Got the cabinets taped at the ceiling too so I can do the paint touch up spot there.

They are supposed to chop the corn tomorrow so hope that it will all go smoothly. Don't know if he is going to need me to help, so things are sorta on hold until I hear what's what.

I am going to check the several Goodwill stores around to see if there is any stationary type bikes. I would like to maybe find one like they had at the rehab I was in in NC after my ankle replacement; that also worked your arms. I have a small bicycling type thing that I used until the ankle got so painful. Then I couldn't use it with the boot and all, but now am going to start using it. Just brought it up to the new house. It sure can't hurt although I don't think that it will work them as well as a more bicycle type one.

Saying it might get down to 38 tonight, tomorrow back in the 70's, Friday should only be in the 50's BRRRR.

Still nothing from the guy who was supposed to get me a price on the boxwoods/trees/resetting the oil tank. Going to ask DS if after the corn gets chopped, if he would bring the big tractor down and hook a chain to the bucket and raise the tank so it can get reset.... so I can get oil and get the guy to get it on his schedule to service it and get it started and all so there is heat in the house.
Looking more and more like I may be doing some cutting stuff on my own. I am going to look into the reciprocating saw... but think that it might be a better deal with buying it in that bundle that @Senile_Texas_Aggie was referring to. Saw that our local Ace hardware has a choice of several different DeWalt tools for 99.00 each. Haven't checked other prices yet.... but that "bundle" was like 499 for 6 different tools? Might be some specials for the holidays... and they start those sales earlier and earlier so will keep my eyes open.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you start cutting the boxwoods shorter, little by little, you have a better idea if that is really where you want the shed once you can see over them. Once you get them down to about 4' high so you have a view over them. you can see if they were planted to screen off something you might not like to look at. Although the shed will also screen any unpleasant view as well. In any event, chopping them shorter will make you feel better and that it is getting done at last. If you use the power saw on them it will be easier on you too and if your knees hurt, you can leave the clippings until you feel better the next day. Do you have burn days?

You need to get the heater up and running too. It will help take the damp from the house so that the floor finisher can get the floors done. You also want to turn it on so any dust in the ducts can be blown out NOW rather than once the floors are newly done and all your furniture is in the house! In fact, if you have a heating system where you can turn on just the air fan function, you might want to run it for a while to remove any dust from the ductwork that has been sitting unused before the floor man comes. That way he can vacuum up all the dust along with what he sands.

I love reading about your hay and silage yields and the amount you need for the number of heads of cattle you are raising. When I tell non-livestock people that we are bringing in tons of hay they wonder why I need so much! I also have to explain that I like to buy when the price is low like in the summer instead of when the price goes up in the fall and winter. Even DH doesn't really get the economy of "banking" hay. :(

I agree that retirement is looking better and better. Maybe it is the result of Covid but DH and I are getting itchy feet to do some traveling. Another wedding in December and then 2 new grandbabies arriving in the spring will tie us down until next summer. Both DD2 and DDIL2 have told me that I have to stay and help them through their pregnancies and new babies. Love them both and love new babies, but feeling a little trapped with these new commitments on top of the months of quarantine.

I used to get on a ladder to do my painting but then we found folding "painter's benches" at Lowes years ago when doing all that work renovating the apartments. The benches are about 14" wide by 3' long, by 24" high. They lock open so won't collapse accidentally. They fold flat for storage but are easier to stand on when painting than ladders because you can move along on them and they are wide instead of standing on narrow rungs. I also have a step stool that I got on sale at Lowes (got one for Christmas for DD1 as well) that is very light, folds flat, opens easily, and has 3 or 4 steps. The nifty thing about this step stool is that the rungs are very wide and deep, more like mini platforms, so my feet, ankles and knees don't hurt after standing on it for a while. I love these two items and use them frequently. They have really cut down the pain I used to get in my feet, ankles and knees. If you can find th "painter's benches" they are really wonderful. We ended up buying 3 at different times because we were all working on different projects that needed height. Now I put them end to end and can walk the length of a room painting or cutting in the ceiling without having to get up and down a ladder each time! We use them for working on light fixtures, ceiling fans, cabinets, moldings, etc. Check them out! Actually, ask Deb since she probably has at least one and could loan it to you to try out. I m so happy that you have found Deb. She sounds like me, she really enjoys the remodeling and woodworking. And you have given her a lot by being her friend when she needs one. :hugs

Latest posts