Farmerjan's journal - Weather

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am going to explore the fiberglass repair stuff more.
You can get it at West Marine. I'm sure they ship if you don't have a local store.

But if the oil tank checks out and I can get then to deliver some oil and get the furnace guy here... then there will be heat in the house so then the floors will dry better????
You bet it will. Nice constant temperature would help a lot.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Smiling some more already. Deb called and came by. Got the slider/guide for the drawer she is making, put in. Put the butcher block top up on the cabinet to see how it will look but I am not going to leave it up there until after the sanding. If it is on the top, I will be tempted to put things on it. If it even has a wet glass on it.... and the water soaks in, when I put the sealer stuff on it, it will show a water ring.... So I will not put the butcher block piece on until time to put the sealer stuff on it. I was putting on the first coat on the tops of the rest of the baseboard heaters in the hall, bathroom, and the DR, when she called. Got all the panel pieces done too, for the bathroom and the hallway. It stayed real warm all day today. Will try to get the second coat on the tops tomorrow... and if it isn't too cool, or raining, will try to do the rest of the fronts and stuff tomorrow (they are out on the porch) and then it will just be putting them back in once the sanding is done.
Didn't get the fuel oil in the tank so will do that in the morning; forgot when she came and now it is dark and I am not going out there and messing with it tonight.
Since it is almost 8 time to head down the hill. I have to go by the barn, ds forgot to open the gate to the pen where the 2 heifers he kept off the old cows he sold yesterday, are.... and there is no hay in there.... so they can go in with the other couple of heifers there in the next field over. I didn't get up to the nurse cow pasture either, so will go there in the morning.

Thanks for the info, @Bruce on the fiberglass stuff. I will look into it. I am thinking that at this point, the bathroom needs to be useable.... and I will get the tub and all changed around ,,, and the mess made, after I am in here. I am going to measure the bathroom and find flooring for it and when the tub gets done, I am going to change the sink and all to a smaller sink/vanity cabinet and put in a linen closet in the corner where the huge vanity and cabinet is now. I don't like the lights or the 3 mirrors there either.... so maybe will just do the whole thing at once since it doesn't look like it is going to get torn apart anytime soon. If I can just use the shower, I can deal with it not being very "nice" for now. I just have to find out if it did actually leak like I thought they said... or if they were saying that it needed to be replaced due to the condition of the tub where the slider door was taken off and all that. I may have been mistaken....

Like I told Deb , much as I hate the boxwoods, all the outside stuff CAN wait.... now that the tank is raised up and on concrete blocks..... so I can get that essential stuff done. And I do have to figure out the digging of the fruit trees and moving them. This is the best time to do it... and he will cut them down before spring and grass growing.... so they are more essential than the boxwoods.... I can work on that over the winter... all depending on what/when something happens with the knees.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Cool chilly rainy day. 50's. Had rain overnight, actually woke up to some on the roof one time. Been tough getting going due to the dampness and all the joints aching today. Came up here to the house and put the cans on the truck to go get 15 gal of fuel as a test. Not much I could do here, too cool to do any painting.... I have been folding a basket full of socks so I can take a couple of the baskets back to the old house and empty out a couple more drawers to wash. Got a bunch of bulky things to do, comforter, blankets, sheets and mattress pads. I will go to the laundromat for them in the big machines as I would have to do them practically one at a time in the washer here. Also want to wash a couple pair of sneakers and they do much better in the larger machine with a load of jeans.
Think I am going to go back down the hill and get some things sorted out and boxed this afternoon. it is just too chilly and raw and damp to be outside. There is more than enough to do down there.
It is raining again, and very raw damp feeling. Better than snow.....

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
For quick temporary repairs, Flex Seal tape and spray from Lowes work too. But I wouldn't count on them for a permanent solution.

Are you determined that your bedroom will be on the ground floor? If you have both knees done, climbing stairs might be in your future and you could convert the upper story into a nice master bedroom retreat with office. The upstairs bathroom could have the claw foot tub and b luxurious for yourself, and just keep the downstairs bathroom with a plain shower for guests or yourself after your gardening or dairy work. It might give you a breathing space before having to gut the bathroom downstairs. You don't know what you will find when you tear into it, Might need to replace rotting floor joists or something. On the other hand, if you really want out of the other house and into this one, look into portable rental showers, They have rentable toilets for fairs and outdoor events why not portable showers as well? You might want to rent a portable toilet and shower when the work on your bathroom starts anyway. It will get you out of paying the extra rent at the old house anyway.

Getting the house warmed up will be essential to refinishing the floors since below certain temperatures the varathane will not dry/cure properly. Did your friends rent the old house? If they don't have any furniture to move immediately (from the camper), they might love to have your furniture until the floors are finished and dry for you to move your stuff in. You can avoid lots of dust by taping plastic sheeting over all the doorways. Even when the doors are shut they leak and should have the cracks taped shut.

Sounds like things are moving along at least.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Taking a little bit of time as it is warming up and I am hoping to do some painting again before I have to go test.

It was so foggy you could cut it with a knife this morning. Wet, misty, damp.... I went to PT and by the time I was out the sun had broken through. Breezy here at the new house but the sun feels good. Hoping that I can get the second coat on stuff.
I went and set up at the farm on my way home from PT so all I have to do is get there by 4:30. It's only 10 miles up the road so one of the 2 closest that I test. It is a 2x farm though, so I will go this afternoon and then go back tomorrow morning.
@Ridgetop I have already put plastic and taped it on the 2 doorways so the only doorway left is the one for the bedroom. The door shuts fairly tight, but I realize that I probably will have to at least tape it on the inside but he has to get the vinyl off the floor where it buts up to the carpet in the bedroom. So will have to be able to open the door I think. The other 2 doorways, I taped on the opposite side of the flooring, and it should be far enough that he can do the sanding without a problem.

I am going to call for oil as so far I don't see any leaks or smell any diesel. Call for the oil and call for the furnace guy to come and see about getting it all serviced and working. Wanted to give it to tomorrow to make sure there are no leaks.

Plans were to be out of the old house by the first of the year... I will be pretty much sticking with that plan. There is alot I need to get done before I actually move.....
I don't know about the bedroom upstairs anytime soon. Both those ceilings have to come down, and then discover whether there is piping to the room where there was supposed to be a bathroom sectioned off, that the owners daughter said they were going to put in but never did when she was a girl growing up. That's 50 yrs ago.... The upstairs is going to look somewhat like what @promiseacres is doing... ceilings coming completely down, 2 layers of vinyl off the floors then see what things look like. Hoping to not have to take out the walls too. I had originally thought to make it a semi-separate suite for possible renting to a student at one of the colleges..... maybe just a complete master bedroom and office/bath in the other room like you said. Something to consider.
It is getting too cold to have anykind of a portable shower here outside. 40's at night with temps going down into the 30's in the next week. I will see about the tub here and then make some decisions

Well, I am going to get the sample bottles put in the truck and see if I dare try to paint. Got everything else ready to go to work....and it gets warmer in the latter part of the afternoons, so might be able to sneak it in. That will finish up all the baseboard panels in and out of the house. Ought to take me about 2 hours or less to get done.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Got the painting done, inside and the front panels and the diverters that fir inside out on the porch, weather has warmed up pretty nice. I am going to get going up to test cows. Checked again and don't see or smell any fuel oil so I think I will call in tomorrow for a delivery. Minimumis 100 gal and I think that is what I will get. Then be able to make positive sure cuz if 100 gal doesn't cause any problems, then I can get it filled. And as soon as I call for the fill, I will call for the furnace guy to get me on the schedule. Going to get the rest of the switch plates washed and get them back on the walls where I took them off to do all the painting. They are sitting in the sink to wash. Then the rooms will look more finished.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Done testing for the evening. Sample bottles brought in here at the new house to pack tomorrow after I do the second test, and get the racking list for the order they go in. There are a couple of cows that the farmer said he is selling so the samples will get tossed tomorrow, and a couple more he might dry off. He had more going through the barn this evening than he has had in a long time. Said that he needs to cut numbers.....cull some cows..... has a bunch of heifers coming fresh.
DS texted me earlier, and wants to maybe have me plant winter wheat tomorrow if he gets the litter spread this eve after work. Guess he will let me know.

Good thing I got the painting done today. Tomorrow is looking like only 60's with some clouds. Wed might hit 70 but cloudy with rain coming in Wed night and Thursday from that hurricane ...... then a cool off but clearing out for the weekend and next week. Expect he will get after the hay next week and I hope we finish it. Shoulda been done by now... but that's another subject.....
So, tomorrow I will move the stuff in the house and put it all in the bedroom I guess. Might just get the rest of the heaters' fins all vacuumed off and get the one in the utility room and the dining room and the bathroom put back on and then just vacuum the outside after the sanding is done. Kinda feel like I should wait though....we'll see how much of a pain it is to have it all piled in the bedroom.
With the weather forecast, it will be next week before I do any of the bulky stuff at the laundromat. I will try to plan it for a day when I have PT since I am 2/3 of the way to the laundromat I usually use. That'll work. Gotta have nice weather to hang it all out on the lines. Probably have to hang it out in shifts since the sheets and comforters and blankets will take alot of space....That's okay... if it comes out as soft as the towels and smells as fresh I will be in 7th heaven. Won't hurt for some of it to sit in the basket overnight and get hung out the next day.

Making my list of places to call tomorrow after I get out of the farm.

Gotta get on the exercycle for a bit. My knees still ache from PT, then standing to do all that painting, and then at the farm. Maybe a little cycling will loosen up the muscles.

@Baymule so glad to hear that BJ is doing well.

Need to make the rounds of checking at pastures since they are starting to calve.....

Of course you know that the end of the month is here, that a couple farms have texted me wanting to test. Told 2 that there was nothing available this week. I have reached the point of not going there anymore.... not rearranging my schedule to suit them, when they won't test on a regular basis.....and I do have this week pretty well filled up with testing tomorrow, planting wheat, having to deliver those heifers to the dairy on Wed and then PT late Wed afternoon, Dr. appt in NC on Thursday, and the 500+ cow herd to test on Friday morning..... wanted to take the heifers tomorrow and I will if he doesn't have it ready for me to plant..... I won't be done at the farm and meters pulled off the milk line before 11 anyway. Want to get the wheat in before we get the rain. Like @Mini Horses , and @Mike CHS ; want the rain to help settle the seed and get it so it will sprout well with good ground contact. This is getting drilled in, but a rain after is perfect. So it needs to get done tomorrow or Wed......

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
You keep such a busy schedule, it's about time you stopped rearranging everything to accommodate people who call at the last minute. Put you first, you have had a lifetime of working your ass off, it's time to take time for yourself. I know you are working in that direction and I am glad. You are a fine person and you deserve to get your house in order so that you can get your knees done and not be in pain anymore.

Latest posts