Farmerjan's journal - Weather

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Senile_Texas_Aggie . Heater core was flushed last year as we thought it was clogged. There is a very fine film on the windshield sometimes, son said that it had a very small leak in it probably. This fall it all of a sudden has the film again, and even if it is clogged again... after 295,000 miles it just needs to be replaced. Time to put a little back into this truck because really, I have done very little other than the normal maintenance for the truck. The garage that did the brake line said that the radiator was not holding pressure and needed to be replaced. Yet we cannot find any leak and it is holding water and the pressure thing that ds did said it was okay. He says that if it is losing a little liquid through the heater core, then it will sometimes show up as losing pressure. And the first thing I did was check the water levels to see if it was low as that will translate to no heat too. Water has been holding pretty much... and I do think it might be clogged.... but time to just put a new one in and flush the radiator out good. Do the clutch/pressure plate/ throwout bearing, and the slave cylinder while in there....Got the spring done, so ought to fix a few other things. Beats a new vehicle!!!! No big payments either.
But thanks for the suggestion.....

Going to be cold tonight. Supposed to be in the mid 20's. Wind is still blowing but not as hard as earlier. Will be glad when this front passes through. I was set to leave before and then got researching some stuff and here I am back.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Cold this morning. 26 at old house. Wind has died down to a light breeze that is pretty much normal up here at this house. I brought a bunch of boxes that have dvd's and such with me this morning. Got to get them stacked in the bedroom for now. I will bring the 2 "towers" up to put them in. One is not even put together yet, the other is a nice well made wood one that turns fully. I bought it through a catalogue and have not been able to find it again for the life of me. I would love to find another like it because it is so attractive.
Also brought the "radiator type" heater that I had at the house. I will probably borrow a couple more from Deb; that she said I could if I needed them. I have to have the house up to around 60 + for the finish on the floor to be able to dry/cure.
No, nothing from the first floor guy.... I will call the other one later today. I will wait until I leave for work to make any calls.
Got the sample bottles in the racks for testing this afternoon.

The finish on the butcher block top looks real nice. So glad that I did it for that cabinet. Hopefully, I will get the rest of the linings in the cabinets so that I can put food etc in the cabinets. I just kinda let that slide for awhile.

I might leave early today and go by and do some of the grocery shopping. I want to get some of the "dry goods" staples. It will take me a trip or 2 because I get to where I can't walk for the whole length of the store. I have found that I do the little ride on carts so that I can spend the time I need to look at stuff and get things. I do need to get some cat food and such..... big bag items. I do have the meters in the truck too so not as much room in the back. We'll see. No on second thought, I will go do that tomorrow after I go to PT. That way I can not rush to make sure I get to work on time. Besides, I will have to leave by 12 or so today, to get set up and ready to milk by 2.....
I also have to go by and get the headlight switch for the 4x4 so it can be replaced. And see about the heater core for the truck..... should check online for it but I hate to have to go through the hassle of sending it back if it is not right. Seems like that happens all too often anymore.
I have some other paperwork to do before I go so I need to get on it. I just needed a break this morning from the chill outside, and waiting on the hose to thaw so I can use it.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
After 8 p.m.. Got done testing and here at new house. I called the "new" floor guy and told him that I want him to fit me in if he still can. To let me know approx what time he will be here Friday so I can be here and then give him a key in case I am not here over the weekend when he can come to do the coats of finish.
Then I texted the other guy and said that I was starting to move stuff in the house that I couldn't wait any longer, that he hadn't gotten back to me about coming on Saturday, I hadn't heard anything and didn't know what was what....so was not going to have him do the floors. He texted back and said no problem. THEN.... He said that he decided to go do another job when he couldn't get in here with the soft ground on Thursday...... after leaving me with the impression that he would be back here on Saturday after the ground dried out a little bit. That he expected to be done with this other job by TUESDAY (wtf)..... but ran into some termite damage on the floor and got held up. I texted him back and said that I had the check I had written him, that was on the mantle in the LR, DATED Sept 29th...... that he had not picked up. That I understood that there were breakdowns etc.... but that was over 6 weeks ago.
I left it on fair terms because you never know.... but I am ROYALLY PI$$ED OFF...... Instead of trying to come back and get in here without tearing up my lawn the next evening... he goes to another job?????? DONE. I expect that the other guy will call me back in the morning......please God...... :fl :fl :fl :fl :fl :fl I just want this done.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
OOPS... hit post on the last one instead of a new paragraph.

It was chilly all day but sunny. I have PT tomorrow morning, then will get the headlight switch for the 4x4 truck. Then I think that I will go do some of the shopping I didn't get to today. Have to get these samples packed to go out tomorrow and call another farm that hasn't answered my text. I think he was having trouble with his phone last time I talked to him.
It is supposed to warm up to the upper 60's this weekend....so that will make heating the house easier too. I am going to bring another bunch of stuff up tomorrow sometime too I hope. Got to do some looking for another freezer though... No extra room for the beef and for these meat birds.
With all the "shutdowns" and new restrictions... don't know when I am ever going to get the knees done.... The big, closest hospital has stopped all elective surgeries..... the rehab center is shut down now...... :idunno :hit :th:duc:hit:hit:hit
@Ridgetop I feel for you. I agree, get them married off... get the ewes lambed and then get the he// out of California....

There is talk about the "liberal party" wanting to make DC the 51st state.... Actually, there are a whole bunch of us that would be glad for that area of insane nutcases to be their own state so that the rest of this more agricultural state with more real working people can go back to being what we are....a conservative, fiscally responsible, common sense run state.... Let them take DC and Alexandria and that area and make it a state.....
I still think that getting settled in and the knees done and then looking over the line into eastern Tenn is a very real possibility......

Stock market is going to go up and down like a yo-yo... but I look for inflation to start creeping in.... lost 300 + points today. I am going to take out some more of my retirement and do a heating system here.... next spring.... and put some into silver that can be spent.... have some now in actual silver coins.... I look for the value of silver to continue to climb. Certainly am not going to leave much there if they start with all the craziness of forgiving all the student loan debt and all sorts of other stuff, that will translate into taxes on our retirement accounts and such....
No I am not a "chicken little.... the sky is falling"..... that is part of their PLATFORM.... what they have been saying all along. If I take more of it out.... and with the house I can justify that.... then what I actually do is my business.... and I will have a nest egg that cannot be taxed or found or touched by anyone. Want to get as much of the cred\it card debt paid off too so not paying all that interest... even for the few months that I have it while I am making this transition. As soon as I can get out of the rental.... I can sock all that money into things here......
Hopes are still for Jan 1st, 2021 to be out.....:fl:fl:fl

Time to go down the hill and eat something and get a shower. I will come up here in the morning before I go to PT and fill/check feeders and waterers. I turned off the hose at the faucet this evening... There ought to be enough water in the waterers to get them through until I get back.....but I will see in the morning. I really prefer to do them late afternoon but testing prevents that some days.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
With Covid cases crowding the hospitals now, that is the last place I would want to be. You need time to get settled in the new house, tie up all loose ends over the winter and when the Covid cases go down in the spring, get your knees done. Or, since summer is hay time, do like I'm going to do and wrap up everything by late August and have surgery then.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Problem is that hay season is may-july, then again for later cutting in Aug-Oct.... plus the fall crops of corn etc.... and calvings in the spring and again in the fall.... like the ones calving now. DS doesn't seem to be doing a very intense job of checking the fall calving cows.... as he never even matched up some of the spring calving cows he turned out and I still don't have all the cow/calf numbers matched...from when I was in the boot and all for those extra months in the spring.....Not like I have lots of time to sit and twiddle my thumbs, with the buying the house....
The best time for me to do any kind of surgery is winter.... Jan or Feb.....
I wanted to have the knees done and healing for the spring season.....not going to happen now that is for sure.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
It won't happen next winter either. Covid will still be here, maybe not as bad, as vaccines get spread around, but it will still be here. Jan, I think you need to hear the story of the Farmer and the Mule.

A city cousin came out to the farm to visit. Early the next morning she saw the farmer hitch up the mule then whack the mule in the head with a 2x4. Horrified, she asked, "Why did you hit the poor mule?" The farmer replied, "This is the best work mule I have, but I got to get his attention first." :lol:

Do I need to come whack you in the head to get your attention? This is your time! You NEED to take care of YOU, the sooner the better. I'm trying to remember how long it took for BJ to get going again after his knee replacement. I think he went to therapy for 2 or 3 months. You are going to HAVE to step down long enough to take care of YOU. Your son is just going to have to understand that he is going to have to cut your slack while you are down.

Or, since you are getting the floor done, buckle down, get moved in and get your surgery in January or February, if you can get surgery scheduled. Your plans have gone to sh!t, nothing has gone the way you wanted, get the house livable, put your stuff in it and go have surgery. Do you really want another year of pain and misery?

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Pack your stuff. Move it to a room at the new house, drop that rental! Get your knees done. You can unpack after that. If you don't do this it will soon be too late and you will be working from a wheelchair! My mom waited on knee 2. Knee 1 was great but knee 2 made me push her in a wheelchair! Not good. What is more important -- inconvenience of boxes of stuff, or walking? Bay, maybe you and I need to go there.....we could get her moved, if she didn't shoot us first. :lol:

I'm on pins and needles waiting for a sander to arrive. Just like you are!!!

When is the steer going to the butcher? I'm thinking after first of year....will your guy be able to do those chickens for you in next month?

I had first frost here last night. It was a heavy one but, off now. Need to go get things working for a run of fence I want to rip out and replace. Lot of crap growing along it but fall has helped it die so I can suffer through it. It's a project that will stretch over several days of grumbling. 😁 :old

Last edited: