Farmerjan's journal - Weather

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Working on the tub. That should be done by the weekend. Have had a hard time seeing where the cracks are supposed to be but think that the one spot that looks like epoxy is where they used stuff to seal it and I'm not taking it off....Tub will be replaced so not worried about looks.

Did 2 loads of clothes and hung them out, got another one in the machine and then will do one more and will hang them in the morning after I get back. Neighbor needs us to haul a load of cattle to the stockyard sale and ds said, when he called me, that he is tied up in the morning so did I want to do it since he can't. No simple explanation of why he can't ....just that he is busy..... like it is a big secret.....Screw it. Glen called and I said yes I could do it..... so I will meet him at his barn around 6 a.m. to load. Have no idea how busy they are going to be up there for unloading, so going to go early. Then I can come home and get some things done here. Don't expect the wait to unload will be too terribly bad.... it is over an hour away to this stockyard.

Floor guy said they would be back around 10 or so. His son helps and he works doing professional cleaning, (offices and such) gets in about 1-2 a.m., so needs to get a little sleep. That's absolutely fine with me.
Truck is not done yet.... so Jim will be back tomorrow too. Can't fight it, ds has him doing all this mechanical stuff.... so I am just going to go with the flow. As long as I don't have to deal with him directly too much.... it's another of the "whatever" type deals....he just takes so d@#n long to get stuff done....

I am going to go down the hill in a little bit and get more stuff boxed up. Need to wash my hair so if I get down there early, I can do that and not go to bed with a wet head. I won't load anything on the truck tonight as the cats will all be into it and don't want any males leaving any of their "territory markings".... I am making a pile inside near the door to the closed in back porch, then I can just open the door and start loading it into the truck. What I need is a young healthy guy to tote the boxes that are hard for me to carry because of the knees hurting. Some of this stuff could go upstairs into the "walk in" attic/storage room for now and not clutter up the rest of the house.
I need to get all the stuff from the desk packed up and then get the desk moved once the LR is done.....and then get it better organized. I will have the drawers from the bureaus/dressers all up here so will only have to move the "frames". Decided to leave the china until I can do it carefully.... with nothing to trip over here at the new house and put it directly into the china cabinet. There's a bunch of stuff in the way at the old house so going to move that all first.

It looks like the goal of New Years' is now very real. Cannot possibly be out by Dec and I am not going to try and kill myself to do that. Planned on Jan so am going to try to make sure I can meet that goal. I will have to get help to get some of the boxes of books and all moved out of the room I am storing them in. They will go into this attic/storage room for the time being. There are things that I plan to sell in a yard sale or something next year. That will give me time to do more sitting and sorting too.

Kitchen will be in bits and pieces as I come up. I will move the little counter top convection oven up so I can cook since the stove at the old house stays there. I think that I will box up like one cupboard of pots/pans and such and bring it up here & see where I want it. Then do the next cupboard. All the cupboards are mine, free standing, and a couple I intend to have here.....like my spice/cooking supplies one. There is no linen closet here, just some drawers in the vanity, so will "repurpose" one of my cupboards for a linen closet and put it in the laundry/utility room. Which is right on the other side of the wall of the bathroom.
Although it needs to be refurbished; my gas/propane stove will be coming up here out of the storage trailer that ds has it in. Worry about it getting done next year. It is useable, but needs the orifices redone on one of the burners. . There is an amish man in Lancaster Pa., that Glen knows, that does that stuff....retrofits old stoves and basically makes them new. I love this stove so want to get it back into use. I might actually like to cook again. I hate electric stoves. Good for warming up the house too.

Wind blowing again today, not hard.... but the constant breeze. Really want to get someone who is knowledgeable in wind power up here to tell me if it is something that is practical.

Guess that's about it for now. got to get some clothes to take down the hill for tomorrow morning. I have emptied about 1/2 the drawers on the dressers..... some winter clothes yet to empty....As soon as I can walk on the wood floors, I will take the plastic off the carpet floor in the bedroom then start to move that stuff. I just did not want to be walking on the carpet with outside shoes all the time. So it has had the plastic on it since I painted... and then I was not using the hallway because I had plasticed/sealed off the doorways from the hall because I thought the floor guy was coming..... so had to walk through the bedroom. Plastic comes off the doorways tomorrow so the heat will more evenly disperse to dry the polyurethane......
Got to figure out where I want the bed so I know where to put the dressers. Thinking about the wall needing opening up too, alongside the bathroom.... Kinda need to leave that free of stuff......
I think that for the time being the sewing table will go in either the bedroom or the dining room. There's a bunch of sewing that I need to do before it gets moved. Supposed to be some wet/showery days so might be able to get some of that done soon. Less stuff to move here as there are several pairs of pants/jeans and shirts that ds needs "fixing".
Desk will go in the LR. I have a rolltop that is not an antique, but pretty good sized. Also have a corner "hutch" that will probably be for the computer. The rolltop does not have the space for a tower or cords to go out the "holes" (that are not there). Haven't used the corner hutch thing since I got it off a farmer that was redoing his family room where his computer used to be. Got it for $100 and it is like new..... Might think about selling it if I don't like it in here. We'll see.
I am putting all the baseboard heater panels back on the heaters. No reason to keep tripping over them. What little dust there might be can be vacuumed off. Nice to actually get the "floor space" back.

Last edited:

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Cannot believe that I was so concerned about the dust everyone else said would be so bad. There isn't enough here to make a spit balls worth of difference.
He must have really good vacuums on those sanders. You weren't misled, they are usually pretty messy. Not NEAR as messy as drywall sanding though ... unless the people putting it on are REALLY good so there isn't much to sand. A REALLY good taper doesn't even need sandpaper, uses a large sponge.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Funny Lancaster county PA comes up. That's where DH's parents live and his dad's ancestors are from (as opposed to his mother's side, who unfortunately helped found where we are living now, then left at some point presumably because farming was not great). He was just saying not an hour ago how he was overdue for a visit. It's a nice place-a lot like Iowa where I grew up, but with an eastern cultural twist, that makes it a little less...frosty, but not so much it's uncomfortable. Lots of skill and down to earth reality still left in that area. Nice place. I hope you get your stove fixed up good as new soon enough for your liking. Great to hear about the floor and the moving progress.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sat morning. I hauled the load of calves for the friend to the stockyard this morning. No trouble getting them loaded, not much traffic, only 2 in line ahead of me to unload so was in and out, fairly quickly. Filled the truck with diesel as the one place has 50 cetane which runs better/cleaner and it is one of the cheapest places around too. Got back, got my truck, stopped and filled 2 buckets with chicken feed and came up to the house. Filled feeders and waterers, and then hung out the 2 loads of clothes. Jim just came and is back working on the truck. Floor guys aren't here yet but that is no longer a concern. I am sure they will be here in a bit. Lots of traffic on the roads here now as the hunters come out of the woods from the morning stint. Once they get here for the floors, I am going to probably head down the hill and work on some packing. Didn't get any done last night; I just washed my hair and got a few things piled and went to bed. Of course I was up twice.... anticipating the alarm going off at quarter to 5 so I could come up and get the truck and trailer to go load the calves!!!!!
I think Deb said she was coming out this weekend....probably will see/talk to her later today or on Sunday and maybe she has the drawer done? As soon as the guys put the first coat on the floors, I will have to use the back door and come in from the kitchen. But then I won't have to be concerned about the dust anymore either and can start putting things into drawers in the bathroom and the kitchen cabinets. It is a real pain to get to the deck with these stupid boxwoods in the back, and I am not going to carry boxes a long way around either....but what is in here I can get situated and then go from there.
It was 40 couple this morning, then has warmed up some. 60 already, mostly sun but supposed to cloud up more later. Now tomorrow is down to 20% chance of rain, but mostly cloudy all day. Good day to stay and do more putting together stuff at the other house. I should go by the Pilot truckstop/Wendy's cardboard "dumpster and see if there are any good boxes to get before we get any precip.

So, hope everyone has a nice saturday....

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
:thumbsup :celebrate :weee :weee:yesss::yesss::celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:yesss::yesss::yesss::jumpy:jumpy:jumpy

First coat is on. The floors are absolutely beautiful. Not as reddish as it looked on the little piece yesterday. The guys got here just a few minutes after I posted. The son had to work extra late last night. The father/owner said I bet you were wondering if we were coming..... I said I wasn't the slightest bit worried they weren't going to come. That I figured that maybe it was a late night at work and that I knew they would be here sometime. They have taken all the equipment out loaded and gone. Did a pretty darn nice job. Now it will be the floor drying and 2 more coats and buffing.... it might be several days for all the coats to completely dry. I told the guys that I was fine with it taking however long it took to dry as I was just so thankful that they came when they said.

Brought the live trap up here as something has gotten a chicken the last couple nights. Might be in the early morning hours.... but I am going to set it with the partially eaten dead one and see. Am going to order electric netting to go around the coop so it can be "hot at night til I get up here to let them out on the lawn. They are doing good and gaining fast....Not going to feed the wild life up here either.
Had to sit for a few min and let the ibuphrofen work as the knees are hurting. I have to go out and bring the laundry in. There is still a little sun, but more clouds....20% tomorrow and it will be cloudy regardless. Then no precip for 3 days then more coming in late next week. So, gonna get them in and then I can fold later.

Got some stuff sorted and gone through at the desk. I am such a packrat. But hope to have most all that done in a day or 2. Running stuff through the shredder and will use that in the shelter mixed with shavings.
:thumbsup
Hoping to get the trailer with the chicken pens I bought on big discount a couple years ago @ TSC... up here at the house so I can start putting together one and get my purebred chickens up here from ds house. Once these meat birds are gone, I probably won't get any more until warmer weather.... but we'll see. Not going to turn them down either.... My purebreds won't know how to act with space to run out loose. I want a secure place for them for the winter nights, that I can lock them in.

Okay, sun is out again, time to get the laundry in.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Came in a little bit ago. Laundry in baskets..... wouldn't you know that there was no breeze today so some of the socks still feel a little damp!!!!! Almost funny since there is almost ALWAYS a breeze.

Waited to get all the chickens in; fixed the front section a little better so that something will have a harder time getting in if it wants to.... although none have been dead inside, just ouside.......but the big thing is the chickens will not be able to get out in the morning like they were so I will have to come up earlier so they can get out. The water inside will not last and the feeders are only half full. Got the trap set. We will see if there is something going around killing them early in the morning. Going to check TSC as they had electrified poultry netting advertised once.... otherwise if not, I will order it tomorrow. Would like to catch whatever has gotten the them the last few nights. They are only seemingly killing one and not eating much of it either.... weird.

Heading down the hill soon as the knees are hurting and I have to get back up here early enough tomorrow morning. I think they are maybe going to come by for the floors after church he said..... If the weather is wet, then I will do what I have to and go back and work more at the other house. Have a dozen boxes by the door to load to come up, and got several more at the cardboard recycling dumpster earlier so I can get the tape and "make them" again and then pack some more stuff. Trying to not go off in too many directions. I was going to get the stuff in the cabinets in the kitchen that I have here already.... food/canned goods I have picked u; but the knees have said NOT TONIGHT !!!! So I give in for tonight. I can sit and do some more at the other house. Have some correspondence I need to catch up with too......

Latest posts