Farmerjan's journal - Weather

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have a group of the cross hens for layers -- cinnamon queens, sex link, whatever? -- bought as POL just for eggs!! Not what usually raise but, feeling I could increase egg sales (and bought at good price) they are here. Not flyers, fence hoppers, nice eggs, and they swarm you at feeding time! Easy to handle but don't seem to be the smartest. My hertage ones are smarter but, these are easier to contain within a fence. Trade offs. They do lay well....just boring. LOL. These run, yours waddle!

Yes! Hall runner rugs! I keep them to catch the dirt "and" that comes in on my boots! A mud room is what I need to collect boots, coats, etc...coming and going. I get the inexpensive, bound pieces and actually put on concrete drive to hose and dry every so often. My back door area gets all kinds of dirt and hay collections, outside and inside. 😋

Hope I get a few boxes of throw aways to the dump today. I really need to clean out and hose the bed of my truck. No telling what's back there after getting feed and hay, hauling weeds and bush triming, last couple months. And tractor needs to go for a repair...big bill? Afraid of it!

Last edited:

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Saturday eve. Nice day today, started out sunny and stayed nice all day. Luckily I looked and I was wrong about the funeral.... it was on Friday. And I was on the tractor coming back to the barn. So, I did not go.... but I did run out this afternoon and get another runner for the hall and am going to go back and get another one like it and keep the lighter colored one for further in where it might not get all the "dirt and" that @Mini Horses was referring to, hoping that the worst of the "dirt and" will come off on the ones closer to the door. Plus the one I got has more dark brown in it so won't show stuff as much. Might put one at the door off the porch into the kitchen too.... Wish the utility room was at an "entry door" instead on the other side of the DR. A mudroom is the greatest thing. Had one in the last couple of places I lived.....Also got some of the "coasters" for the furniture for the LR... and some others that are supposed to slide well on rugs... to use on the legs of the bureaus. We'll see. The ones for the hard floors are like felt. I tried the ones that actually stick to the bottom of the piece of furniture, to put on the bottom of the tall "carousel" that I got to put the dvd movies and stuff in. It is not as nice as the one that I have that is more of a piece of furniture.... I may keep the bigger one in the DR and the nicer one in the LR. Wanted to try the stick on kind, for that, and got some that just go under the legs of the chairs too. Not terribly expensive, not real cheap, but if they protect the finish for awhile then I am happy. He//, I went through 5 kinds of aggravation to get the floors done, want to enjoy looking at them for awhile!!!!!

Brought up some more drawers this morning, and a couple of boxes. One more trip of drawers. Problem is, right now I don't have a truck to put stuff on so can't bring up the actual bureaus to put the drawers back into unless I go get one of ds's trucks... but they are all full size and my little trucks work better for me to lay a blanket in and load since I don't have to pick stuff up so high. Just put them near it and gently tip into the back of the little truck, and slide in on a blanket. And I don't want to make an all day project out of it or move a whole bunch of stuff yet.... I am going to go through some of the clothes in these drawers too.... See alot that ought to go into a yard sale and Goodwill....
Dumped one big plastic bagful of shredded papers in the shelter. Will open the last bag of shavings and mix more tomorrow.

Ought to be pretty nice tomorrow, clouding up later, then rain Sun eve and Monday. Temps dropping 20 degrees by Monday eve and windy. Possible snow flurries as they are saying parts of WVa could get 3-12" of snow.... Ohio valley supposed to get a good storm out of it. Cold Tuesday and then a little more moderate Wed-Fri. Think they are saying more rain next weekend.

So I am going to go down the hill and try boxing more stuff. I keep looking at the BR and trying out different placements of furniture/bed in my mind, so that when I do get some of it up here I will have a pretty good idea of where I want things and not have to move them too much I hope.....
Forgot about going to see if I could get some plain shelving type boards to make some sort of shelves for the lower cabinets. Oh well, I will be out again next week. PT and testing and such. I think I am going to try to move a couple loads of boxes tomorrow since it will still be not too cold, and not yet raining. Then can spend time inside when it is colder Monday and wet..... Have to go get shavings on Monday... I use the bales of shavings to stabilize the sides of the shelter inside, in the front where the door zips up.... door's about 3 ft wide, in the middle of the end, with 3+ feet on each side that aren't really attached to anything when the door is up..... so the shavings act as a solid piece inside and the bales of straw are on the outside, so when I zip the door down on each side it is fairly tight and firm. I need a couple of pieces of scrap pipe, that I can slide in the bottom of the end piece...... that I asked ds about.... some junk stuff laying around up at the farm somewhere.... hate to buy new pipe for that. But so far....no results.

Going to measure the couple of walls here to see if the double bureau I have will fit where I am thinking to put it.... then the "sewing center/table" will go on the other wall. Trying to stay off the wall that is going to be torn open whenever the bathroom gets done. I am really discouraged by the slowness of everything. Oh well. maybe it is for the better....Never know why things happen as they do.
All I can say is that I better get real mobile fast after the replacements... cuz a wheel chair or a walker is not going to fit through the bathroom door......and the bathroom is not going to get done before spring by the looks of it.....and it is not going to be in pieces when I am needing it to be functional....

Guess that's it for now. Getting hungry, time to go down the hill, eat something, and pack some more stuff !!!!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
When my Mom moved in with us, we were having the master bedroom and bathroom remodeled for her. So she slept in the middle bedroom and used the hallway bathroom. But the door was only 23" wide. So I got her out of bed and into the wheelchair, then down the hall. I parked her walker in the bathroom, transferred her from the wheelchair to the walker and she could make it to the toilet.

So for you-if you are on a walker, get 2. You can pick one up pretty cheap at Goodwill. Put it in the bathroom so you can get to the door, then transfer to the other one.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sunday. Was 29 but up to the 50's now. Brought some stuff up and did the chickens. Going to go fill all the buckets so that they are there at the shelter for the rain tomorrow and I don't have to cart them in the rain, just feed. Going to make another trip or 2 down the hill and get stuff in the house; so that I can work on putting away and sorting clothes when it is rainy outside, tomorrow. Also plan to take car to co-op because one tire has a slow leak. Get it checked out/fixed for now, and see about ordering a new set of winter tires for it. One tire is worn so will replace a pair. There is a slight shimmy in it and don't know if a tire is out of balance or needs alignment.

@Baymule good idea, but I can barely turn around in the bathroom. Don't think that a 2nd walker would help but be more in the way most of the time.... Literally, there is about a 4x5 area between the vanity/sink at one end and the tub at the other end and the toilet right next to/behind the door. I am expecting to be able to use the crutches some with the knee replacements by the time I get home. At least they don't take up much room. I would literally have to be on the walker and just back up 2 steps to the toilet. But the whole make it bigger was for the tub removal/replacement anyway. Still having the "hole" there, was kinda the idea to just make it easier. No door to have to work around. I may still take it off the hinges for after the surgery anyway.

Headed out for a load of feed then down the hill for another load of stuff.....Partly sunny, some clouds. not bad.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sun eve. got the chickens all settled for the night and feeders full . Buckets filled today and plenty out there for tomorrow and then Tuesday morning. They will have to come out for water tomorrow though. It will be too messy to put them in there. They get one at night and it is gone in the morning. Have a couple that are kinda crippled that I like to make sure get to eat and drink without having to travel too far.

Made a 2nd trip. Got one of the bureaus in the back of the car and some boxes around it. Am going to vacuum the place where I want it and give it a good going over with some furniture stuff, then get the drawers in it. Tomorrow. My knees hurt from the 2 trips and carrying, and even though I don't bring a stuffed car full..... it's enough to make me hurt.

Anyone else ever take CELEBREX ???? PT guys thought that it might help with the pain... inflammation..... but I am not seeing any results. Got heartburn the first 2 days, so make sure I have a meal in me first.... but no effects that I can see. They thought it might help me to get through until the replacements can be done. I don't know how inflamed the knees are, but I feel like they are rubbing the nerves together on the bone..... sharp pain. Going to give it a little bit but don't hold out much hope at this point. Maybe if is more gradual?????

Heading down the hill. Going to box some more stuff and shred more paper. Might try to load a few things in the car tonight since it is supposed to be raining by midnight. See what I get accomplished. Don't want to be doing it in the rain in the morning and I hate to come up with an empty car.
Looks like @Mini Horses is going to get some more rain then us... but we are also in line for a few snow flurries if the cold front moves down faster. Think she is going to get more T-storm type weather.

Got the rest of the baseboard heater panels on in the LR and hall where the floors got done, and the switchplate and plug covers in the LR that I took off to paint. Going to get all the paint and stain and stuff into the house from off the front porch tomorrow before it gets real cold. Got some bags to go to the dumpsters but not going to load them tonight. They can wait for another day when I go down the hill in the daylight. Thought that I would just make a big trip from here with the truck.....got a bunch of stuff at the other house to take too... was going to go from here, to old house, and then past to the dumpsters. But I am going to do it on a not rainy day.....

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Do you own a hand truck? I'm picturing you being able to stack a few boxes on it and roll it into the house. That would be way less weight bearing pain on your knees. I use one for the large flower pots at my jobs. I even use them up and down stairs. Just put a tie down around whatever I'm hauling to keep it stable. The ones with pneumatic tires are easier to roll than the hard tired ones, and go up and down stairs easier too.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Heck, probably can hold onto the fixtures. 🤔. Sounds like a camper bathroom. Been in my share of those. You'll work it out! At least it's all on one level and access to kitchen sounds better.

I have the rains and big winds today but, warm now. Cold coming tonight. You guys get any snow? Might as well unpack inside in this.

Latest posts