Farmerjan's journal - Weather

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not looking forward to tomorrow ..... getting closer and closer to wanting to retire.... Just don't want to have to deal with all this cold. I want to sit and drink a cup of hot cocoa and stay in and stay warm......

Miss @farmerjan,

I hope you will be able to do that by this time next year. :fl

Senile Texas Aggie

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thursday eve. Got home from the farm I tested, after dropping off the meters, hoses, and sample bottles for the other farm to owner sampler. Was going to fill waterers for the chickens but they still have one nearly full and it was dark and I said THW it.... tomorrow morning I will fill all them. There's feed in the feeder and they were all settled. I will want to get up here at a decent time to pack samples and do some other stuff.... got a "clothes rack" for hanging stuff on.... have to get the hangers and get some of these clothes hung that were washed and dried on the line.... it will get some of the mess and baskets of laundry sorted out... I will try to bring some stuff up in the morning as it is supposed to rain again Friday aft/eve????? So a load early would be good.
Testing went well. 5 of the 6 heifers I took up to them have calved. 1of the 2 jerseys, is just 2 days fresh.... but the other 4 are milking decent, for only being fresh a month. I am glad they are hitting close to the average of the herd.....not bad for 30-40 days fresh. The one jersey is a little less but that is to be expected. 2 of the others are doing really well and the one is okay... she will probably not be that great a milker. Her udder is not very well put together... and I told them that if she doesn't measure up that she can come back and I will try to put a couple calves on her. She will probably milk decent this time around... but her udder has very little center ligament support, so will probably look more like a "basketball" in a lactation or 2 . Not desireable but she can raise a calf or maybe 2 at a time. They are satisfied with them so far and that is good. No real attitudes or kicking problems thank goodness.
3 bull and 2 heifer calves.... going to try to see if the one neighbor here wants any of them.... I have gotten him some calves in the past. Will sell the 3 bulls at least. They have a calf buyer but he only buys holstein bull calves; no crossbreds. Hoping the other heifer calves soon......If necessary, I will go get them and sell them..... not especially needing the crossbred heifers either... but not going to give them away price wise. Something to deal with in the next few days. I might just pay them to raise the heifer calves up to weaning and then can deal with them just feeding daily in the barn lot at the nurse cow barn.

I am going down the hill and get a shower and get something to eat and go to bed. Got to take the blanket with me and maybe I can get the other single bureau loaded in the morning to come up and a bunch of clothes and hangers for the ones here.

Last edited:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm glad your heifers are doing good, that's a load off your mind. You are moving small stuff to your house, when are you going to load up and move the big stuff? Do you have a move out date at the rental house?

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Friday noon. Got up and went to load some stuff and realized I still had half the meters in the car after I dropped off the ones at the other farm last eve. So loaded a bunch of boxes that weren't heavy on them and brought them up. Then made another trip after unloading the meters into the storage container I keep in the carport and moved the double bureau and a few more boxes. Got up here and a friend was going by and stopped. There was a hawk with a meat bird in the yard. So that explains the few I have been finding with their heads, necks and wings all eaten.
Just one more thing. Just what I needed..... guess they will be staying inside more which is where so many of them were when I went out there. Of course, it took off and went where I could not take a shot to scare it off. I left the chicken out in the yard, where I can take a better shot towards it from the house area.... and shoot towards the christmas tree field when there is no one there. They are only open on Sat and Sun and only for 3 weekends.
Went and got the buckets of feed filled since the weather is supposed to be rainy... possible little bit of snow/ice/sleet... It is about 45 or so out there. Little sun early but very cloudy now.

Going to pack the samples and get them sent out. Then work on getting the bureau where I want it, cleaned/polish the wood and get the drawers in it and the clothes that are in baskets all put away. That will make things neater and give me more room to put boxes when I move them.

Big stuff won't get moved for another couple of weeks.... I want to have as much of the smaller stuff moved so out of the way. Then move the bigger pieces of furniture, couch, corner computer

Last edited:

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I wrote a bunch other stuff and it didn't get posted.
Mostly, I want things to be as decided as if DS gets some friends to help move stuff, I do not want him pushing me to hurry up and all that because he has other things to do.... I want things pretty well ready for them to move it, and where to put it. He seems to think he knows more and better about most everything lately and I am not going to listen to him complain that this should have been done or that should have been thought of..... or that he has to get done because he has to go do something else....
So I want to have as much stuff moved out of the way, and then they will be able to get in and get the bigger stuff without having smaller stuff in the way there or here.
The freezers will be the biggest pain, I have to empty them and then get all the frozen food moved too.

I need to get more stuff packed in boxes right now. It's a pain to try to do some of this when I am juggling work around it too. I have got to get the new house a little bit more organized now that I have been just bringing boxes up.... and then I will be able to move around in here better too.
My computer is not acting right... I sure hope it is not going to quit......got to have it for work.... :th :th:th:th:barnie:barnie:barnie:barnie

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sat noon time. I got up and left at 3:45 a.m. to go test. That went fine, did the computer work and then went to get the meters and samples and do all the computer work at the other farm. That takes a little longer because I have to input all the info on breedings, calvings, dry offs etc..... Finally got back to new house about 11:30 ish. Chicken was pretty well eaten that i left out for the hawk.... the rest had been locked in and they were very glad to get out as the waterer and feeders were empty. The hawk is no where to be seen... but there are lots of cars in and out next door at the chirstmas tree farm so I expect it took off as soon as the first truck came in. I filled the waterers, and put the filled feeders back inside the shelter. If I had it fenced.... I could have an LGD on the property..... Need a heating system before I need the fencing though.....

It started with sprinkles and then rain and it rained most of the night. 1.2 inches total..... ground is very soggy. So glad that I got the feed and shavings out to the shelter yesterday before it got wet. It is mostly still cloud covered.... chilly in the low 40's I think.... Supposed to get windier later on....slight chance of some snow on Sun night or early Mon morning.....
Still neither of my trucks is running. I am fit to be tied. Going to call and cancel the chicken killing for Tuesday as I am not taking them in the car. Seems none of the other trucks are available either..... I didn't expect the 2wd drive to be done yet, but this is BS with the 4x4..... Just get a new fuel pump and see if that is the problem as nothing else that has been tried is working. Ignition module, new, fuel regulator switch new, but wait, wait ,wait.....

So I am going to get something to eat and then work on getting clothes in the drawers of the 2 bureaus that are here and then bring up the other one either later or tomorrow. If I bring it up later, then I can get it situated and everything will be out of the bedroom except the bed and little night table next to the bed with the lamp and clock radio...... on to emptying the next room. I forgot to measure the kitchen table top so will try to remember it the next trip down there.... maybe get it moved if possible so that I can get the computer situated temporarily. The roll top desk I have, and the computer hutch thing will probably go in the LR. The computer hutch could house the TV but I think it is too wide.... need to measure that too.... although I am thinking that I might sell it and use the rolltop. It is not an antique..... but it is a big one. Bought it at a reduced price years ago because the roll top is out of it. Need to get it put back in.....But there is no place for a tower for a desktop computer....and I like the idea of closing the hutch doors and hiding the "messy desk"..... maybe I will just buy a new laptop instead of replacing the desktop.... maybe I ought to throw the whole computer stuff away if they are going to start doing more "tracking" of stuff as AOC wants to do with identifying and then basically denying Trump supporters things like jobs and such......
Problem for another day.

So, time for some food, and then some work in the house. It is damp out so feels chilly/cold..... going to get the samples packed too so they are done and out of the way. Less stuff in the house to work around....

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Okay, ran to Wendy's (2 miles away; closer than going to the other house) and got chili to warm up and get something in my stomach. Doing stuff in the house, dresser drawers in and had to sit for a minute. It is chilly out, little bit of a breeze. Got the samples packed to be shipped on Monday. Making a little progress on floor space.......

Saw some small christmas cactus at the convenience store the other day, that I just might treat myself to. I used to have some and they got frozen out one year. White one and a red/pink one. Don't need them but sure wouldn't mind having them. Usually I wait til after the holidays and buy left overs at a real discounted price.....most can be salvaged with some TLC. Okay, break over, time for some more progress......

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Going on 8 p.m. Pretty much got all the clothes sorted, stuff put away in drawers, and piles of stuff to be washed. Went out about dark and put the chickens in, filled feeders and the waterer and shut it up so the hawk can't harass them in the morning. There were quite a few cars in and out of the christmas tree farm all day so no problems. Should be busy tomorrow after church time for the rest of the afternoon.

I plan to bring up the last dresser and get everything else out of the bedroom except the bed & nightstand with the light and clock radio. Maybe try to pack a few more boxes and sandwich them in the car too. Knees have about had it for the day.... just realized why I am tired since I tested this morning too.....:rolleyes::idunno:he
The weather is calling for chilly ; 40's to low 50's, but partly to mostly sunny except for the outside chance of a little snow/flurries Monday morning. So I will probably start washing and hanging out some laundry Monday. Some is stuff that needs to be gone through, but am going to get them clean and packed in a couple of boxes out of the way for now. There are things that I know I can't get in, but they are only a size smaller so I am thinking that if the knees get fixed, then I will be getting alot more exercise so might get back into them. Mostly jeans that are not at all worn. Other stuff I will make a box of stuff to get rid of as I take it off the line.....plus there are sheets and blankets that have been packed and they need to be aired out and/or washed.
Making progress slowly but surely.....:thumbsup:yesss::celebrate