Farmerjan's journal - Weather

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
It is a nice decent sunny day. Temps in the upper 40's but no wind so not bad. Don't know if it will last due to the forecast..... POSSIBLE lt snow.... they are really not sure of this but have a winter watch on.
Got the bureau and some boxes packed and brought up to new house. Let the chickens out and watered and fed. Will fill feed buckets and bring back since we have the potential for some rain/snow/whatever tonight and into tomorrow. DS just called and said that he has to go in at midnight. His boss wasn't feeling good Thursday, came in part of friday and finally took off at noon when ds was planning to be off. Now he says he doesn't feel very good and had planned to do a bunch of stuff today. Jim also has not been feeling good for a week but won't go to the clinic.... So, no one around today, as I told ds to go home and get some more sleep and double up on his supplements. Guess I will double up on mine even though I feel fine. Haven't been close to either of them for days....

DS did say that he was tired of not being able to figure out what was wrong with the 4x4..... meaning Jim is not able to do what needs doing........ I am, needless to say, totally sick of the BS and said that I would get the local garage that did the brake line on the other truck a few months back, to just come get it. And that is ABSOLUTELY the last time jim will touch one of my vehicles. I decided that since ds sent him up to do the ignition module that I would be gracious.....it only required taking out 3 bolts where it then is plugged back into the side of the starter.... but he cannot seem to get the one bolt out now and it is stripped. It will need to be probably tapped and drilled out..... but after all this I am totally done. Won't tell ds if I have any problems anymore either... just call Waynes repair to come get whatever it is if ds is not going to do it himself. He said he wanted to take the 2wd over to the friends place, where he uses the "pit" to work on things..... to be able to get under it to do stuff like if it were on a lift.... so he could pull the transmission and get the clutch and all done on it.... but he just doesn't feel up to it. I was going to go get him and bring him back to his truck after we took it over there. So today, is not going to see any progress. I feel bad that he is not feeling good. Don't want to be anywhere near either of them if they are sick.

So, I am going to go down the hill and get some more stuff I think, then I can work later at the house. Watching the weather forecasts. They are really IFFY on whether we will get any real snow..... all depends on the timing.... but I would suspect that there is a good possibility that we will get some with the elevation here.
I am gathering up a bunch of stuff to put in the dumpsters when I go down the hill too. Tired of waiting for the truck to make a full load... will just put a bunch of the bags/boxes in the back of the car and drop it when I go by. Then put more boxes in the car to come back up.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry everyone is sick and you are right to stay away!

Hate when an auto goes down. I just picked up a battery cable end to replace on my truck. It broke at a point and I've had a clamp on it until I had a chance to get to a store with one. All week been too many and wrong hours to get there. 3 places today and found one that will work. Since tomorrow I work a long day, at least Tue before I get to it.

Did get to feed store and gas station too. Just finished filling feed and water in coops so less in morning with early leave to get to work site. Glad it is last day of early!!

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, it is now pitch dark. Got the chicken feed out to the shelter and the birds in and feeders filled. BUT, the water is now only trickling out of the hose. Took the nozzle off thinking it was clogged..... but not that. Waterer was 1/2 filled, and I got it about 3/4 then put it in the shelter and closed them up for the night. Went to the hydrant and pushed the handle down; came in and checked to see if the breaker had kicked off but it is fine and there is water in the house. So tomorrow I will take the end of the hose off the outside hydrant and see if there is water..... if so then there is a blockage somewhere in the hose. about 3 or 4 different hoses put together... so I will take them apart and see if I can find it. ALWAYS SOMETHING.

Went back down the hill to get some more stuff. Planned to get the table but got the 4 kitchen chairs, the leaf for the table, a 2 shelf smaller bookcase that was convenient that I am going to put the computer on in the bedroom for now, and a half dozen boxes of odd stuff that were convenient and fit in the car. The table will fit in the car without the leaf.... but I cannot find the 4 legs. They are in the storage room at the house, probably behind a bunch of boxes I have in there. This table came from my parents house in CT when they finally sold it and moved completely to NH. There was another table that I had that I have been using in the other house so didn't bother to set this one up. It is a nicer, heavier, sturdier table, formica top, nothing special but decent, and nicer chairs, so will use it here. So, all I have to do it move some stuff around to find the legs as I know they were in that storage room. If I use this bookcase for a temp computer desk then it will work and having it in the bedroom here is fine. I can then move stuff into the DR without worrying about blocking the table as I don't have to have it to eat on at this point anyway. This bookcase will give me a place to put some papers, bills, stuff that comes in the mail that I want here since the computer and internet access is here. They have been getting piled so actually will work okay as a temp desk, until I get the real desk set up.

DS just texted me and said that he got the truck moved over to the friends place and will see about getting the clutch and all done the end of the week. He got all the parts he ordered. We'll see. Guess he didn't need me to take him back to his truck.

Going to bring the small convection oven up so I can heat stuff up here in the evenings. Then at least I can work for awhile and not get too hungry. I have PBJ and am going in to make a sandwich and get the other bureau moved where I want it and all the wood "dusted/polished" and the drawers put in it. Then I can get the oddball stuff out of the bedroom and it will be pretty much organized waiting on the bed and the night table. Maybe I can actually keep it neat for awhile. I am a terrible housekeeper and a clutterer.....

Looks like @Mini Horses is going to get more rain out of this than we are, and that we might get an inch of snow. It has sure gotten cold since the sun went down. It feels damper too. But once this goes by we are supposed to have a week of no precip.... and temps back into the 50's by mid-end of the week. That works for me!!!!

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Our local weather says rains with poss light snow eastern shore, maybe even Richmond. I expect cold rain. It's a work day, so whatever. 🤔 don't want snow, not even thrilled with rain! All prepped....toss hay, open coops and go.

Hope it's sunshine Tuesday....home.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry your son and Jim don't feel good. Hope they don't have Covid, if they do, hope it isn't a bad case, but you stay away! Take Elderberry syrup, you can buy the dried berries on Amazon. It is for flu virus, it may help for covid virus too.

Little by little you are moving stuff, not much longer. In the winter, I sometimes have to haul buckets of water in my wagon to the animals. I turn off the cut off valves I have at each faucet, open and drain the faucet. I cut the water on, fill buckets, turn it back off and haul buckets to animals. We usually have hard freezes that only last a few days to a week or so.

Your truck will probably get fixed this time, since somebody else is going to work on it.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Chilly this morning. We got a dusting, maybe a 1/2 inch or so. It is cloudy and only in the low 30's but it is melted off the roads.
Water is frozen in the hydrant...... maybe this is not a frost proof hydrant???? So will have to wait for it to thaw, and will have to carry some water to them in the meantime.
:th:hit:duc It is supposed to be in the 20's, then 30's, at night but up in the 40's, and maybe low 50's, and sunny after today when the clouds will move off. So it will thaw and I can figure it out. Might need to fill a couple of buckets then shut the faucet off in the middle of the day when it is still warmer, and see if the water in the faucet goes back down like the frost proof hydrants are supposed to. Change my routine a bit so that I do not have to carry water.
Chickens will be going as soon as I have a truck to take them.... Talked to the man this morning, and he was fine, he said they had a good number to do anyway tomorrow.... so as soon as I know what is what, I will call him.

Brought up one of the LR chairs this morning and a couple of boxes. Going to work on getting the rest of the stuff in the house, into cabinets and drawers today. Then I will work at the other house to box up more, mostly in the kitchen and stuff from the desk. Got to get a shower curtain rod, and I want a curved one so I am not feeling hemmed in and keep hitting the curtain. If I get the one that is tension, then I can use it anywhere.
Also need to get the little felt thingy's that go on the bottom of the kitchen chairs. They are pretty cheap. May as well try to not tear up the floor in the DR either.

So have to carry more water to the chickens and then take the samples to go out to UPS. Maybe put in a load of clothes so they can get hung tomorrow. I have PT at 8 a.m. tomorrow, so will do errands then. No need to make a special trip today.
Snow tires are in for the car, so will try to fit that in sometime. Have a farm for Tues, Wed eve/Thurs morn (2x) and I think Friday..... one called me and left a message that they want to do right after Christmas, so that is fine.

Got to get the rest of the stuff out of the car and carry some more water.....

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Chilly this morning. We got a dusting, maybe a 1/2 inch or so. It is cloudy and only in the low 30's but it is melted off the roads.
Water is frozen in the hydrant...... maybe this is not a frost proof hydrant???? So will have to wait for it to thaw, and will have to carry some water to them in the meantime.
:th:hit:duc It is supposed to be in the 20's, then 30's, at night but up in the 40's, and maybe low 50's, and sunny after today when the clouds will move off. So it will thaw and I can figure it out. Might need to fill a couple of buckets then shut the faucet off in the middle of the day when it is still warmer, and see if the water in the faucet goes back down like the frost proof hydrants are supposed to. Change my routine a bit so that I do not have to carry water.
Chickens will be going as soon as I have a truck to take them.... Talked to the man this morning, and he was fine, he said they had a good number to do anyway tomorrow.... so as soon as I know what is what, I will call him.

Brought up one of the LR chairs this morning and a couple of boxes. Going to work on getting the rest of the stuff in the house, into cabinets and drawers today. Then I will work at the other house to box up more, mostly in the kitchen and stuff from the desk. Got to get a shower curtain rod, and I want a curved one so I am not feeling hemmed in and keep hitting the curtain. If I get the one that is tension, then I can use it anywhere.
Also need to get the little felt thingy's that go on the bottom of the kitchen chairs. They are pretty cheap. May as well try to not tear up the floor in the DR either.

So have to carry more water to the chickens and then take the samples to go out to UPS. Maybe put in a load of clothes so they can get hung tomorrow. I have PT at 8 a.m. tomorrow, so will do errands then. No need to make a special trip today.
Snow tires are in for the car, so will try to fit that in sometime. Have a farm for Tues, Wed eve/Thurs morn (2x) and I think Friday..... one called me and left a message that they want to do right after Christmas, so that is fine.

Got to get the rest of the stuff out of the car and carry some more water.....

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
Miss Farmerjan,

Have you considered putting freeze caps on your faucets? They can protect your faucets from freezing. Here is the link to one sold at Lowes, along with its picture:

freeze cap

1607377716560.png