Farmerjan's journal - Weather

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
So, anyway. Got up and left by 7 for the farm to test. Set up and took samples, meters washed and got back about 11:30. Stopped at farm bureau as they got the new tire balancing machine finally. The 2 new tires on the car didn't get balanced and they said as soon as they got the new machine to come back and they would get them balanced. There has been a shimmy. Well, they were busy, and the one guy working today was going on lunch so I said I would try back late this afternoon. Came home to the new house, and worked on getting the samples packed.... had some computer issues so spent the better part of an hour on the phone trying to get things straightened out. Finally did, and then got the samples done to send out. Went back to the farm bureau, and he had gotten caught up and could get me in. Got the tires balanced which is good. Dropped the samples off to go out UPS. Stopped and got my mail at the p.o. box and went through that. I am back at the new house and did up some dishes and stuff... and going to move the rest of the stuff out of the hall so that I can bring more up.
Tomorrow I have to leave no later than 10 to go the 125 miles to the jersey farm up near Winchester. I will be gone all the rest of the day as it will be 6 before I leave there to come home. Hate to spend the day driving and inside.... it is supposed to be nice again; sunny and in the upper 50's again. Oh well.... need the income towards some of these possible projects. Then Friday afternoon, I will go do the farm that was going to be done on Sat morning since the weather is going to change.... possible showers/rain Friday eve and then temps dropping.
I will have time Friday morning to move some stuff, unless it is raining hard.

I plan to put a bunch of stuff in the car tonight, and bring it up in the morning before I have to go to test. It can go into the hallway and then maybe Friday I can bring up some bigger stuff like the sewing center/table in the truck Friday morning. We'll see what I can get done.

Got the paperwork from the co that handles our retirement accounts.... going to fill that out and get that in the works so that I can work on some of this stuff and see about dealing with the heating system; the boxwoods, scrub trees to be taken down....etc. Then there will be room for the storage building at DS's barn to come up here.
I may get Bonnie's SIL to look at the sides on the storage building here and maybe get it fixed a little better to last for a bit longer..... there are several rotten spots on the sides where it is open along the bottom inbetween the studs. Not going to replace the floor.... but maybe make it less "air conditioned"....might be able to redo the sides part way up to salvage it better. Get another 5-10 years use out of it, would be worth it. The guys that did the doors and fixed some of the deck did okay... but I think that it was a little costly so want another "estimate" ....... I would not ask them to do the inside under the stairs.... don't think that more "finish" carpentry is their specialty......

So, this is all in the "future" and "possibility" stage.... but may as well get an idea of what could be done.... and general estimate of costs.

Other than that things are about the same. Got the sample bottles in the racks for tomorrow's herd, and for the herd on Friday afternoon also. That way, I can get the samples packed tomorrow eve after I get home, and won't be trying to get everything done Friday morning. If it is not raining, I can hopefully get some more stuff up here.
Haven't made any decisions about the stuff there that was going to get moved after my friend moved in....
And, one of the guys who is part of the small moving co, a family member was just diagnosed "positive" so they are having to be "quarantined" and are going to be behind..... they gave me a name of another "small time" company, but they are booked up.... I will deal with it tomorrow or the next day....
Sounds like "Scarlett in Gone with the Wind"......I need to laugh at myself.....
It will happen ....... I need to keep sight of the end game.... And hope that the roof leaks bad enough that he has to reroof it or it falls in..... since you can't get upstairs to even check it out.....:(o_O:idunno:rant:somad:somad :th:hide

Now now.... be nice.......:duc:duc:duc:duc:tongue:tongue:tongue:smack:smack:smack:smack

Time to get the stuff out of the hallway and go down the hill. Ready to get some stuff done tonight.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
You will get it done. What is that dummy's hurry to get you out? It's not like he's going to rent it out again. Oh, I know! There is a chest of pirate gold in the yard, complete with a skeleton buried on top of the chest........he can't very well be digging THAT up with you there! So he needs for you to leave, he's ready for his gold. And I hope the ghost from the skeleton "guard" haunts him forever. LOL LOL

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think the idea of opening the wall under the stairs for storage is excellent. Leaving 18" of space with the existing door on it for a pantry is genius too. If you go on DIY "Under Stairs storage" you ought to find some more ideas. I have seen some good stuff including not only storage closets, but a complete office space fitted in under a staircase.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Baymule he doesn't want me out, he keeps saying that I don't have to push to get out; he actually wants me to stay there as long as he thinks I will, as he doesn't want to have to rent it to someone else.... have told him that I cannot afford to keep paying rent and a mtg..... and he says well, I'm not trying to push you out, take all the time you need, sure hate to see you go....blah blah.... he wants me to stay until this house is completely redone.... like into next year!!!!!... what he is trying to figure is if he can get a few more months rent out of me.... and when I am out, he is not willing to let me leave anything there "for later" like the stuff in the storage shed that is there....

I will check out more under the stairs storage idea stuff. Thanks @Ridgetop. Heading down the hill... got the stuff moved into the DR from the hall, and some more unboxed. At least I don't have to get up before 6 at least.... I will load some stuff in the car in the morning when I can see....

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think that this was meant to be this way so that I can get things done in a more orderly way.... except thinking that I would be able to take a little more time with the odd stuff and the freezers.... I am not going to stress about it... over my mad...except for the sh#tty way he did my friend... and me indirectly..... by not telling me sooner that it was not what he was comfortable with... Decided that the better thing would be for him to get a renter that did not pay rent on time.... then have to deal with him putting them out and them leaving a mess....
WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND.... KARMA is a real b$@#h sometimes....

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Friday morning. I went and tested yesterday. Nice day, comfortable temps, sunny. I hated being inside. But at least it was comfortable in the barn. Long day, I left up there at 7 p.m.; they are up to milking right at 185 through the parlor so took 5 hours . I hurt by the time I got in front of the computer. Then it was a real long trip home. I went directly to the rental house, took a shower and got into bed. Woke up a couple of times over night but was able to go back to sleep.
I did get the 5 drawers from the sewing table in the car and a couple boxes and brought up to the house yesterday morning before leaving to go to the farm to test. This morning I got the base cabinet into the back of the car to bring up. I need to get it cleaned, dusted and all and brought into the BR but that is probably going to wait. I have to get the samples packed from the herd yesterday. Then I will be leaving to go to this afternoon's herd and I am going to see if there is enough time to stop at Lowe's on the way for the stuff I haven't yet managed to pick up.

Not alot else going on. I need to get going here, but have spent some time on here this morning since I never even came to the new house last night. It is somewhat cloudy, not too cold but we are supposed to get rain later and possible changing to snow showers. Then colder and kinda crappy tomorrow . Hopefully will go through and then colder and partly sunny on Sunday. I think that it is going to warm up again towards the end of next week.

No, the landlord is not interested in renting out just the storage building at the other house.... he asked if I would have everything out or would still be there for another month..... made a comment about stuff left would be thrown out like the peach trees cut down..... not going to go there with him. I f I don't have to talk to him again it will suit me just fine. I am keeping my mouth shut UNTIL I am done......

Hey @Baymule , have you ever had any of the milk and stuff from the Promised Land Dairy in the Dallas area? Our discount chain up here got some of their Choc milk and Eggnog...... probably surplus that they were trying to move.... It was VERY GOOD. Story about how it is a Jersey farm, family owned.... I guess it was a one time thing cuz I asked the other day if they had more and they said no, we don't have any more and it was probably not going to be a regular thing. I wish I had bought more of the choc milk......it was cheap so I know it was a "closeout type thing" to get it moved....
Time to get the samples packed.

I made some comments on @Ridgetop 's thread.... about the cost of fuel oil prices..... if anyone has any storage, they need to get it filled.... prices are going to go up and with the new administration coming in..... it is going to be a problem in the future......

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Saturday afternoon. I went and tested yesterday afternoon. Things did not go as I hoped... it never goes smoothly like I hope it will...... It started to sprinkle/rain as I left. Hoped to get going earlier but didn't get things here done... phone calls again for work.
So, left at 1:30, I got to the farm and we started milking about 3:15.... got done about 6:30. The first group of cows don't want to come in the barn so they have to go out and get each group of 5.... lose at least 1/2 hour just doing that. 5 min wasted time getting in a group at a time, adds up.... the second group comes in much better. Then they did not have near all the computer work done. There is a glitch in her computer and it was a real nightmare. Couldn't finish stuff out so she will have to get on the phone with the computer center Monday and then they will have to send me info so I can pack the samples. I like them, but honestly am getting very tired of all the BS.... they have calf numbers and then they change their numbers when they come into the milking herd. So some of them have numbers like 9320 etc.... some have been changed over to a number that is under 200.... so #9320 is now #54..... but when they came in the barn, the eartags have not been changed so I have them down as #9340 and she is really # 60 .... and the number on the sample bottle is 9340.... and I have no "conversion" chart.... it is getting old. They don't test every month anymore so this goes on for several months..... and it never gets caught up. REALLY getting tired of it. I really think that retirement is getting closer....

So driving home was miserable. We had some snow/flurries stuff, then rainy, and it was so foggy. Hard to see and when I finally left there it was nearly 8. Got back up here by a little after 9 and I just went to the rental house since I just did not want to stop here then have to try to drive in the fog in case it got worse.

Got up this morning and it was white. Not alot but covered the ground. Snowed/flurried until about 9.... then changed to sprinkles/rain.... much is already gone off the fields. It has been cloudy all day, but the sun is trying to come through in the east, clouds still in the west. Forecast says it is supposed to clear off.... cold tomorrow and then a little more clearing and warming. Back to the 40's+ during the day and 20's at night. It is just cloudy any dreary and cold out today.

DS got another smaller group of cows preg ck yesterday. He had gotten them moved home the other eve.... only like 12-14 I think.... all are bred but they have smaller calves on them so not as far along.... a couple 2 months and the rest 3-5.... one cow has very little milk, has a very small calf... her and her calf will both get sold. He is going to probably take the open cows the first of the week to sell. No sense to keep feeding them, don't need to lose (bury) any of them and the prices will not be getting any better in the foreseeable future. Got to move some of the others around. He had to work last night for VDOT and then had a breakdown with his plow/salt truck so then had to meet with the mechanic who came to see about fixing it. So he was going home to get some sleep after being up all night. I told him that I will get the list from what he did Friday, and get together a list of who needs to go where so he can get the older cows out of the barn and the weaned calves can get more of the silage/feed.

I brought up a couple of small boxes of stuff that was easy to get packed. I am going to spend a couple hours here working on getting some stuff put away. Haven't had much time to do that the last couple of days. I need to go up and see if Deb came out and feed the horse if she didn't.
SOOOO glad the chickens are done with this cold weather.

So, I will get off and see about doing something productive.