Farmerjan's journal - Weather

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have MANY farmer/rancher friends that can tell you all about the illegals coming across the border, the damage they do to property, the problems they create in the border towns, the stealing, and destruction, and the threat to the ranchers own families and their livestock.
This is absolutely spot on. Having lived near the southern border I can attest to what you are saying. The popular depiction of the border crossers as just hard working people who want a chance to better themselves and do honest work is very exaggerated. There is a small element of that, but by far, I think the huge majority are told to come here for the freebies that they can get. They are told how to cross, where to cross, and given Cliffs Notes on how to apply for benefits. Their government has encouraged it and is behind a large part of the push.
There is a lot of crime along the border, thefts and drugs, etc.
Not something you will hear much about from the mainstream media.
He is a better AMERICAN, than half the ones born here that think that they are entitled and don't want to do some real down and dirty drudge type work because it is below them..... and want to live off their parents or family....or the government....... he worked, his wife worked, his kids worked and they learned that nothing is free and if you work for it you then will appreciate it more. I am proud to call them friends and I have more respect for them than you can imagine.
The people I know who have immigrated here legally have this mindset you describe. They are appreciative and don't take our unique liberties for granted.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I just got caught up. My computer is having issues, I’ve been sick and now DH is getting it from me. Great. The youngest granddaughter had a head cold, sinus drainage, cough, and low fever. My precious little germ sponge! Been sitting in my recliner, yes the one-Lazy Boy-with a HANDLE, with a blanket over me, doing nothing for days. Add intestinal upset to that. Yuck. Done animal chores and that’s it. Dogs are feeling neglected, sorry puppies I just want to crawl back under my blanket.
We filled our diesel tank too.
Computer keeps freezing up, may have to take it in. On phone, most of the time, not enough signal to post. Gripe. Gripe. Gripe.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Friday... just on for a minute. SURPRISE..... landlord actually had a guy there this morning.... chimney is cleaned... it was nearly stopped up. Now need to get the furnace guy back, he told landlord that it needed to have some adjustments but he does not do that. Talked to the landlord a minute, he said it was good to go and will get the furnace guy back to do the servicing now. Also that the tank is nearly empty and that if I get some fuel delivered he will pay for it. Of course, he has to keep the pipes from freezing and all so he has water for the cattle and he can't let the basement/water pump freeze and the water in the pipes in the house and into the bathroom, either.

Got the stuff from the cedar chest loaded and brought up and in the house. Will probably get the cedar chest tomorrow since it is not that heavy empty. Then I can put the stuff back in and not have it sitting around in the way or getting dirty or anything.

Going to the farm to get the meters and do his computer work and all, then going to the sale and see if the cows are there,

Sunny and even a little warmer, comfortable, but some gusty winds. Relatively speaking it is "nice" out.... Probably mid 40's . Pretty much the same for the next 2 -3 days then maybe some rain/snow/mix coming in for Monday...

Long range forecast is showing possible SNOW.....on THURSDAY of course... since I am supposed to be going to MD for the Dr appt.... Oh well. I will leave plenty early that morning... and if they are calling for any type of accumulation I may go up the night before. Have to see where the possible storm is tracking early next week.

Time to get the computer and printer packed up and head up to the farm. Need to find a short step stool thing to be able to get up on the work bench. I really like it to be able to work on getting the stuff up into the top shelves.

I have several goose down vests and jackets that I cannot wear.... want to have them cleaned/washed...not really dirty dirty... just dusty like from hanging on the clothes pole; any pros or cons to washing as opposed to professionally cleaning? I do not have a dryer and they suggest drying in a dryer with a clean sneaker to kinda help bang them around....fluff them up as the down dries. I can always take the time to do it at the laundromat.... I would wash them in a big machine there anyway.... but is it better to wash or to just dry clean. I don't mind spending the money if that is better.... I do have some sneakers that need washing and do that at the laundromat when I have a load of work clothes to do; bulky stuff like the overalls, have several lined/quilted shirts that need doing anyway. There is one heavy coat that I think my father gave me for a barn coat.... It has to be dry cleaned and I can take them all at once. Stuff for a yard sale in the future.... I loved that coat as a "kid"..... had it a long time and wore it for "good" not a barn coat.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Baymule so sorry that you are not feeling well. Yep kids have/carry/spread every germ under the sun.... if you were around them more you might not have gotten hit so hard. And if you had known she had it you might have had sense to not get them that weekend... but with them being so much further away... I get it. Sometimes it is not worth it though. Get feeling better soon.

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
I wash my down coat and vests in the washer. There is a special down laundry soap that is recommended, but I just use Woolite. I use the gentle cycle. I dry in the dryer, used to use a couple of tennis balls in a sock to flop around with them, but the last few times have omitted that and they have dried fluffy without. The banging of the ball/sock is annoying, so since my results were fine without I'd rather not listen to it.
I do throw a clean dry bath towel in with the clothes as they dry. Don't know if it really makes a difference, just a tip I read somewhere.

If you line dry the down will clump reportedly. I've never tried it, I would think that a vigorous shaking periodically would separate and fluff?

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
@thistlebloom ... thanks. I think I will go on and take them to the laundromat and wash and then put them in the dryer there, with the sneakers. I have several other coats/lined quilted shirts to wash and can put some of them in to dry also.... I remember using woolite for them years ago now that you mentioned it. So, something to do on a crummy day since I will be waiting on the dryer. Don't want to try the clothes line as I will not be dedicated enough to go out and shake them up .....I will get doing something else and forget for sure. Okay, that decided.....thank you, saved me some money.

Friday eve. I went and got the meters and the samples, did the computer work and printed all the stuff he needed. Stopped and got the extra bottles that I left at the farm on wed when I was getting done to go drop all the meters at the other farm for him to do the owner samples. I have a "tote" that I carry with extra bottles and the aprons and stuff that I need at farms to test and carry bottles as I collect the samples and then put them in the racks when I get back to the end of the parlor. So, had to go right past it so it worked out.

Went to the sale. The cows were not there. They did have some cows there and thought they were the ones that DS went and looked at. But these cows had little calves... like week-2 week olds.....and these cows were older also. They brought in the 9-1025 range.... 2 red ones were cheaper.... 750-800. But the calves were really small, and the one didn't have much of an udder and I was not tempted. If it was spring, I would have bid on some... but not going into the winter. I called DS after and he said there weren't any red ones and they were all pretty nice cows.... so I am glad that I didn't feel the need to bid.

Feeder steers in the 500 lb range were bringing 1.40-1.50 lb....6 wts were in the 1.30's.....Didn't stay for the heifers. The retired vet friend is starting to get his feeder steers, so DS said we will go to the other sale on Monday again.... maybe try to find some nicer ones a little cheaper, like last week where they were bringing 1.20-1.30.... make a little on some selling them to him like we did last year. I say we, but it is really DS's deal.... But it helps us if we get him some nice ones; and make $.10 to .20 / lb for just going and buying them and DS helps him work any bulls that he buys. Plus we help haul them to the place in WVA in April when he turns them out for the summer.
Doc has said that he might not keep doing this too many more years, he is in his mid-70's.... and is talking about DS taking over leasing his place and the place in WVA. Don't know what will happen to the place in WVA after he goes.... it is a family place.... his wife is a "2nd wife" and his kids are from the first wife.... not a problem, except no idea how the "inheritance" of the place will work as I think there are some other kids .... nieces and nephews maybe... and don't know if they are going to keep it or sell out. But, in the meantime, it might be DS's deal for a few years. Plus Doc's farm right here close. I am sure that it will go to his wife.... at least for her lifetime use???? But Doc is talking about the future. He had his hip replaced this past fall and is doing pretty good....so it "behooves" DS to stay in good with Doc.... and they are nice people in general anyway.

So, back at the new house. Knees have really been sore today. I got another message from landlord.... he got the furnace guy back out and it has been serviced so is good to go he says... is he trying to be mr. nice guy/good landlord or what??? Like it is going to make a difference to me now.
I need to get the crates and coolers off the 2wd.... haven't done that yet, they aren't hurting anything on it and I have been busy .... but if I get it emptied, then I an get the cedar chest loaded and moved up here... it might fit in the back of the outback....I will see in the morning.

Forecast is calling more for a "wintry event" for next Wed eve/Thurs morning.... GRRR:eek:o_O:barnie:he:tongue:hit but it is coming in from the south and west so I might be able to get going early to drive up out of it? We'll see as it gets closer. Tuesday is supposed to be up in the upper 50's.... CRAZY weather. I am NOT going to miss this consultation appt. ... no way no how unless they shut things down for a major snow event.

Fuel coming next week to fill the tank here at the house and will get another 100 gal for the rental house since landlord said he will help pay for it.....not going to be cold working there to get the rest of the stuff packed or to sleep there....besides, may as well sleep there while the heat here is iffy.

Speaking of heat; told DS that I was seriously thinking I would go with the outdoor wood furnace what with all the bs shutting down the xl pipeline and prices climbing... and he said yeah, probably a good idea.... he said he had to replace the system at the house he rents out, on the farm he bought several years ago.... heat pump that he has had to do some work on the last 2 years.... just got the bill for replacing it... 4700..... but as he said, the old one was 20 yrs old.... so he is seeing that maybe I am not nuts for wanting to put the wood furnace in so at least I will not be spending 2-3,000 in oil to heat this house.... and it will cut the electric water heater costs for the winter too.

Chicken feed ordered for next week. 2 1/2 tons will fill the bin. DS is getting 4 tons of 17% stocker pellet for the farm for top dressing the silage he is feeding out..... got a $15/ton discount since he is getting 4 tons. They said they would match the price he got from the other feed co-op and we like this feed better.... it has taken all these years for DS to realize/SEE that the animals do better on this feed since it is more natural grains and less by-products.... :he:th:he. Mom doesn't know anything... but finally he is seeing the light.... I nearly laughed when he said that he thinks they do better on a more natural grains type feed.....( but I kept my mouth shut and didn't even say.... I've been telling you this). They will probably be bringing it all out on the same truck, there are at least 4 or 6 compartments on the feed trucks, and they are going down past us to the zoo south of us.... I try to schedule the feed when they are going in this direction just because it makes it more economical for them.... and we don't pay any delivery fee over at least 2 tons, so I like to try to save them some travel/delivery money too. And, with soybeans in the $14/bushel cost now, and one of my farmers said that he has heard it will be going up to maybe $20 by June/July.... feed will just increase in cost. I have no intention of having any meat birds very soon.... but will be ready. Want to get some layers just for eggs and for selling some eggs so that I can help the feed "pay for its self" somewhat. Everything is in a holding pattern til I see what is going to happen at the dr's and future replacement surgery. All according to the drs schedule and all... am thinking that I would like to get some in March or so... to have some to sell in early May at the poultry swap.......so will see how things shake out at the dr's. .......

Okay, going to head down the hill in a few minutes.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Most all the posts that I have remembered, deal with you saying you cannot have meat for dinner because of your DD and her not willing to eat a meal that has been cooked with meat. I understand the other one has allergies/sensitivities to many things.
Nope, only DD1 is "no animal body parts" and she is the one with other non discretionary dietary issues. She wouldn't mind if we all (including the rest of humanity) didn't eat animals in any form but she's not pushed us ... and she would lose in any case. She's fine with animal products that don't require the animal to die. DD2 is picky but not by necessity.

Per one of your prior comments, some years ago I heard that a lot of meat, goat specifically, is eaten in Ethiopia. That surprised me as we are told poor countries have a much lower meat intake than wealthier countries. Turns out that they can't grow much in the way of human consumable crops in Ethiopia but the goats can eat what does grow well there.

BUT, Please then, explain to me how the continued talk of the new administration with a 1.3 trillion "stimulus package", is going to be paid for.
No idea. Borrowed money same as all the rest of the $27 trillion National Debt ?

and by killing things like the Keystone XL pipeline, all those jobs lost that is going to throw more people out of work and on the unemployment roles
Almost all the pipeline jobs go away once it is built, not many jobs in maintaining it. What I don't understand is why Canada WANTS to ship all the shale oil thousands of miles down to TX refineries. Why don't they build a refinery near the oil fields and sell the petroleum products themselves? How much does a refinery cost vs thousands of miles of pipe? There is WAY more money in the "value added end product" than the raw oil. Clearly a refinery could be built faster without all the political delays. Maybe that are a lot of NIMBY Canadians?

and every one of them to a person is TOTALLY AGAINST more illegals coming across.
No argument there and I'm sure there is a quantity of people sneaking across the border and causing trouble. But I think what a lot of people don't realize it that most illegal/undocumented people came into the country legally and either overstayed their visa (like by years) or through a legal crossing claiming the need for asylum. Not that many trudge across the desert. Same with all the drugs, they are not dragged through the desert sands.

Do they actually get their electricity all from solar wind and hydro???? Or do they use "credits" that are so popular to "offset" use of fossil fuels?
Natural gas is closely tied in to the oil industry.... you cannot separate it out and have just one or the other.
OK, I looked farther and found this
Our energy supply is 94% carbon free and more than 63% renewable. We work hard to provide customers with clean, cost-effective reliable power. Most of our supply is hydro power, both from small local hydro facilities in Vermont and large facilities in Quebec. GMP is committed to being 100% carbon free by 2025 and 100% renewable by 2030.

2019-estimated-fuel-mix-copy-1024x558.png

so I guess there is a very small amount from oil, must be from small producers. I have no idea where they are. I didn't realize they were still getting nuclear power (and a lot of it!), I thought that went away when Vermont Yankee shutdown 6 years ago.

They do sell credits to other companies so GMP isn't "cheating" on the "green cred" in that way, they take money to let OTHER companies "cheat" ;)

And you are right, natural gas comes from oil production and propane is actually made from natural gas and oil refining.

I wonder if they consider nuclear to be "renewable" or if they expect to not be buying any nuclear power in 9 years.

All the "electrification" will take time ... and technology. No, you aren't going to be running any semis or trains cross-country on battery power any time soon. But things improve, one of my original arrays of 12 panels (Dec 2015) puts out 3.3 kW per hour under "perfect lab conditions". The new twelve put in last month put out 4.3 kW. That is a pretty big change in 5 years. I have to ASSUME such technology improvements will continue not only in solar generation but also in battery technology. There was no way you could get 200+ miles/charge from an electric car 10 years ago.

And I don't know how California expects that all new cars (and presumably "consumer trucks") will be non fossil fuel starting in 2035. For one thing they will have to get a LOT cheaper even if someone devises a way to make unlimited amounts of electricity. True, the AVERAGE price for all new "light vehicles" last year was $38K, which will buy most of the currently available electric cars,. But by definition that means there were plenty of cars sold that cost far less, balanced by the cars and trucks that cost more to far more. Even the cheapest striped down F150 is $30K and the most expensive is $80K. That will buy 4 or 5 of the cheapest cars.

WELL that's 10 years of neglect for you
It seems that guy is the poster child for the title "slumlord"

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sat eve. Went to Deb's for supper. A chicken soup type thing, a little spicy with lots of scallions.... but it was pretty good. Salad and a piece of apple pie for dessert. Sat around and talked for a bit then came here to the new house. It was sunny and decent all day but my left knee was really hurting so I did not get near as much done as I wanted. Don't know if I overdid it at the pool or something else?
Got the samples packed to go out Monday and will try to do a little bit more here. I didn't sleep good last night, I think the knee was hurting when I rolled over or something.... I have been folding some clothes and getting some little stuff done here.
Spent some time in the LR trying to figure out the layout of the furniture so it can just get moved into place and not jostled all around a bunch of places. Think I have a workable layout. Going to go back in and look it over again. Not sure about the corner "computer hutch" thing I have..... Sure wish there was room for the desk somewhere else as it is going to make it "crowded " in there.... but no where else to put it.
Definitely want to get the "under the stairs area" opened up for storage; and the "closet door" into the DR fixed into a small closet from that side. Haven't had a good schedule to get the guy here with my testing and all. This next week is going to be pretty busy too. Have one farm to call that I can put in tues eve/wed morn..... he is 2x. Other than that he is out of luck til the following week; the first of Feb. Got the dr appt Thursday then a farm Fri aft and one saturday morn scheduled. 3 need to be done but no release yet....

Got word that the request for distribution of 401 K funds has processed so should be in account by middle of the week next week. Get the bills paid off that I have left, and then I will get the guys here to do the boxwoods and all the scrub trees and such....... and then decide where the wood burning furnace is going to go; I think I know but want to look at the area with no boxwoods, scrub saplings or anything else. Then see about getting someone to do the concrete slab and all and dig the line to the cellar and such. I will ask DS but I don't imagine he is going to want to do it... so might see if the friend that sent me to the place I went to look at the stove, would want to do it.... he is not terribly busy this time of year....

Some things just don't seem to be getting done very fast. Guess I can't say much as I am not getting moved as fast as I should be either.

Going to go down and see if I can get to sleep earlier tonight.

Latest posts