Farmerjan's journal - Weather

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Monday night. It was a WARM 90 today... sunny and nice though. Had .7 inch from that rain last evening and night. Really good rain. But , now it is blowing and we might get a bit of the "pop up" storms that are coming through north of here. I just went out and closed all the windows on the car and truck and recovered the 2 cabinets on the deck.... From the looks of the radar we are on the southern edge of it for the next couple of hours...

Couldn't find the one new little calf at the pasture today after looking for nearly 2 1/2 hours. Grass is high and I wound up walking alot of it because I was scared to death to maybe run over it. DAM DS for taking them up there with the babies barely 2-3 days old.... with "too young" new momma's..... his GF took the 4 wheeler up this evening and finally found the one.... and got the momma to go up near it so it could get up and go nurse.... but I am going to have to go up there tomorrow and probably get them into the catch pen and move her, or both, BACK down to the barn and put her in the little field where the nurse cow is.... so that the calf and new momma can be monitored.... sometimes I don't think he has an ounce of common sense in his head. He's kept the EXPERIENCED nurse cow there for what.... 2 months.... yet he turns out a brand new, way too young - immature - heifer into a 15 acre field with 20 other cows and grass tall enough that you can't barely see the calves standing up?????? GRRRRRR

Testing went okay except I was hurting by the time we got done because I had done so much walking and all to try to find the calf earlier....

It is thundering out there... and very breezy..... we will probably get some rain out of it... actually it is starting to rain now, I hear it on the roof.... OOPS, it is really raining... hope it is a short and fast shower going through....

DS cut hay today... at least 15 acres....there was only a 15-20% chance of this coming through....but it is coming down now.... :th :hit :idunno :barnie:he:hit:hit:th:th

Didn't get down the hill at all today due to looking for the calf and having to go to work....
Will be talking to lady for cleaning tomorrow, we texted today....will have to see what the landlord says tomorrow...not going to get the fish tanks done by tomorrow..... Will be glad to be done with this....

Oh well.... it is what it is.... hay was going to be tedded anyway... but hate that it is getting wet in the just mowed rows...
Going to go to bed... I hurt and ankle is swollen too....

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Murphy's law.......don't need rain and there it is! Maybe it won't be much on that field. You know how that happens. We'll hope. :fl

I fixed a couple holes in an old fence line in lower fields couple days ago. Obviously. missed one because I found 3 does I my backyard when I came home from work. 😁:idunno. I know you can appreciate old fence and escapes! These are not traditionally jumpers, so I'm thinking a rusted spot in some old field fence. At least the entire herd didn't see them sneaking thru. 😁 I can see a lot of fence walking when I'm off this week. There's some growing stuff back there, on or along fences. :rolleyes:. I'll load up the weed eaters to take with me....some extra t-posts, slammer and chains....machete. I see a front end loader of stuff.... :old. Hope not but a couple spots, I'm planning to get more of the new fence up on front grass area. Need the time & posts there.

Hope your cleaning lady can do that cleaning....would be such a relief for you!

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Mini Horses .... gotta love old fences.....NOT..... :he :gig:th Oh well, fact of life.... At least they come home to the front yard for you....
Haven't been out to the rain gauge yet, but we got a good amount last night I think.... now a 20% chance of pop up AGAIN this evening.... you just gotta love the weatherman....

Changes of plans AGAIN.... not testing tomorrow, The daughter that graduated college a couple years ago and came home to the farm got slammed by the post driver when it came down wrong bounced off the post, and got her head banged up... she is okay but had to go to emergency and will be out of commission for a couple days.... said she had to get her head "glued back together"... and we all know that head wounds bleed like a B%#$H. Said it wasn't too bad overall, very mild concussion, cut, and goose egg... thank goodness. So we will reschedule for next week... she texted and said whenever I can fit it in my schedule.
Haven't heard back yet about Friday's farm. Got Sat re-scheduled from last weeks cancellation....:tongue:hu😞😞😒😒 Getting tired of juggling the calendar....
Then Deb texted and didn't get out last evening so I will go do the horse again, not a big deal.... should be out this evening....
And am scheduled to get the nitrogen recharged in the semen tank; which they do every 12-16 weeks... and he texted and his truck is in the shop (work truck) and will not be here for a few days... I don't have to be here... but just one more little zig zag..... Levels are fine in it so not a worry.... but you know, just one more little quirk to the schedules.

Going to go out and check the rain gauge.... take the truck down the hill in a little bit.
Right knee is all swollen this morning, going to have to put on knee brace.... probably good that I don't have to test Wed morning...
Did get the samples packed last evening so will strap up boxes and drop off for UPS when I go out. I think I will do the horse, drop the samples, go down the hill.... going to be working a little slower since the knee is going to be in the brace. 😢☹️:hit:th. Took the plastic off the cupboards on the deck again..... Not going to get them cleaned out today .......

Did get some more stuff sorted out here at the desk last evening, and some put into the drawers.... very tiny little steps here....really looking at and debating the corner cabinet here....maybe just make the rolltop desk do double duty with the laptop and sell the cabinet... The desk is higher than I really like for the computer.... no slide out "keyboard" shelf.... but the printer does work well on the top of the desk.... I pull out the center drawer and put the laptop into it at an angle propped against the writing surface of the desk, and can type pretty well on it....

Oh well, time to get my butt in gear.....took some stuff for the knee(s)...not working yet..... Going to be a long day I think.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Had some phone calls and got sidetracked; ate a pbj sandwich, got the sample boxes strapped and in the truck to go. Dumped the rain gauge..... .6 inch.... REALLY..... I imagine DS is royally p.o.ed... but what're you gonna do..... I am going to apply to be a weatherman. I can look at the radar and make these kind of predictions and be as/ or MORE/ accurate....

Knee is not responding to anything for the hurt... what the he// did I do to it????

Air is cooler, drier, but there are some clouds passing through...pretty breezy. Not going to be a good day I'm afraid. Oh well.....

Meeting B tomorrow afternoon at the other house to look at the cleaning. She has several commitments but can do some the 21st and then not til the following week to finish... she stays a few days with a woman w/alzheimers... wife of a real estate agent here... the daughter used to work at the grist mill with me years ago... sad, the mom was a real nice person.... like my mom now, bedridden, non communicative...

It will be worth it to have her do it...she also does some yard maintenance/landscaping... might have her work on the split rail fence row, since the other guy did not do it the way I wanted it.. yes he got it weed eated but not down to dirt as I requested......and get rid of the crap scrub growing up and get it mulched. There are a few volunteer walnuts already coming up where the @#&% squirrels planted them.... I just can't with these knees right now. Also see about what needs to be done to get this big bush cut back near the house that had the little white flowers early in the spring...then it just grows and is not that attractive... so it can get moved along with the forsythia this fall to the edge of the property along the dirt road. No line of sight there to worry about, and will screen the house from that direction and not affect the view from the house of the mountains to the west. Then, could see about the fence along the Christmas tree lot and that road... and it will be thick and a visual and actual barrier. There is an ash that is dead down in the corner..and another up at the corner of the dirt road..... would like to get the actual property line fenced all along there... but the bushes can get moved to that bank along the dirt road, and the state might mow some of it but so what... keep it trimmed too.

Sent an e-mail to get the guy to come and do the stump grinding... with the request to include cleaning the little bit of brushy stuff growing around the maple tree that they were technically supposed to do before....see if he will include that little bit of work in the price... I am going to invest in a couple of the 1/2 privacy panels and "prop" along the road in front of the house... see if it helps with the privacy and the noise without affecting the line of sight out of the driveway....

Going in to take something stronger for the knee and something for allergies... strange, but eyes are all itchy all of a sudden. Haven't taken anything for weeks for it and today they are driving me nuts.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Back at new house. Went to old house, got some misc stuff but knee is really hurting. Strapped it like the PT told me to do to give it extra support....Going to wash a "sinkfull" of dishes, and then put the leg/knee up...

Left note for the landlord, about the cleaning and that he can schedule the change of electric for July 1st... that I should have the rest of the stuff out in a week or so , we got rained out Sun afternoon, and that I hurt my knee and am supposed to keep it up for a few days.....and that the cleaning will be done the 28-29th.

Took some trash with me and tossed it. Dropped the samples out to go out UPS.

Found both the young cows and BOTH the calves right there with their mommas. They were off by themselves with the babies. So I left well enough alone. Maybe will get lucky and they will call this "area" home base.... near where DS said GF found the one calf yesterday aft..... since they were together I did not make them get up to see if the calves would nurse.

Went and fed the horse on my way too.

DS texted and said that maybe we should tedd the hay, that got wet last night, out tomorrow... I agreed. So will get on the tractor tomorrow ......

Sun and clouds this afternoon.... hope it stays to the north and falls apart as it gets closer so we don't have any precip this afternoon/eve....

Going to try to do a little in the house here....

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just a quick note... Got a call and my mom has passed away. I don't know any details at this point. We have hay on the ground and DS was mowing when he got the call as my brother seems to not have my phone number... even though he sends texts on occasion....
I may be on and off a bit...

It is sad but her condition was so bad that it is for the best for her. My father is going to be the problem though....
he was beside himself a few weeks ago when he thought she was "leaving him" then.

So I will be in and out as things develop and I learn more.

Thanks to all for being a friend to me.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Jan I am so sorry about your Mom. We are here for you, wish I could do something to help. Big hugs. I know you will be going there, please be careful on your travels and let us know how you are doing. If you don't have internet access, text me and I'll let everyone know that you are ok.