Farmerjan's journal - Weather

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Home from all the day's activities... didn't get to as much as I had on the list of course.

Stopped at the bank atm since I didn't have any cash on me... paycheck was put in Friday.... after the SS check last wed... bills paid .... good shape. Wanted some cash for whatever....

Went to the vet's office and got a bottle of Draxxin.....anyone want to have a heart attack ? I knew the price so was not shocked... but you all might be.
Draxxin is the anti-biotic of choice for pinkeye that is more advanced.... LA 200 or LA 300 works good if you get it when it is starting to be a cloudy and runny eye.... Draxxin is usually always a 1 shot deal too. You use less of it than LA300.... about 1 cc per 100 lbs of Draxxin as opposed to 3cc LA300 to 100 lbs and usually do a 2nd dose.... A 100 ml bottle is over $550. yep 550 dollars. There is a big promotional discount right now of $100 off a 100 ml bottle. $200 off a 250 ml bottle and $400 off a 500 ml bottle. When we figured in the cost of 2 / 100 ml bottles, ($550 each) plus the $100 discount each, against the 250 ml bottle and $200 discount... it was a little cheaper to get the 250 ml bottle for $1115. and then have to send in for the $200 discount. Got the extra 50 ml (half a 100 ml bottle) for about $115..... so definitely a better deal.... BUT OUCH OUCH OMG:th:th:th:th:hit:hit:hit:hide . YEP, i GOT A 250 ml bottle... and of course put it on the paid off credit card so I have about 45 days... since it just went past the billing cycle..... and in the meantime I will send in the rebate slip with a copy of the bill that the vet's office gave me specifically to send in....
And people wonder why it is so expensive if an animal gets sick......
I'm still in sticker shock even though I knew I was going to be spending a thousand bucks +/- this morning.....

Left the vet's office and went to page's house where the meter calibration was done, and they had just started another person's meters that were dropped off.... so I wound up having to wait til they were done with them. Visited with 2 other testers that came after me, then went to sandra's house for a bit. Was way later than I had planned... but oh well, it was my day off so to speak.

DS called me just as I got there, and said a friend had called him and there was a fire along the interstate right next to the woods and where the barn is at doug's farm.... as dry as it is it could have been devastating.... He is in NH , I am above Harrisonburg an hour away..... so I called a friend who's son is in the fire dept and she said they had responded to the call about 5-10 minutes prior... and she would let me know.... But then DS called back about 15 minutes later and the friend had called him and said they got it out..... that was scary... but I would have never made it there to even get the animals gates open to let them into other fields... and the barns and all could have gone up in smoke in a minute. Thank you God, for not letting that happen.

The best thing this afternoon is that we did get rain here. I never saw it as It happened before I got far enough south... but Staunton got some severe weather... wind, trees down, some hail and rain.... the best thing is we got rain also... 1.3 INCHES... of beautiful wet rain.... somewhere in the 2-5 pm time frame. The roads were already drying off by the time I got down here at 7..... but I nearly fell over when I looked at the rain gauge. I looked at it 3 times to make sure I was reading it right.
I had stopped to look at the recliners at 2 places, then went to the pasture DS wanted me to check.... so I missed all the rain.....they didn't get hardly any at the pasture there....

So, I got home... wound up on the phone with some texting to DS.... talked to another farmer to set up a test for Saturday... the farm where my cows are.... and now am in the house for the night.
This rain will really help the water situation at the nurse cow field as it is a spring that feeds that water trough.... and it slows way down when it gets real dry. It has been holding up okay so far but I have been watching it closely....

This will really help perk up the pastures a bit. And maybe help the hayfields to start growing a little. We need more... but I am very thankful for this as it will really help our corn, and give us boost; it was looking pretty bleak as it kept going around us and getting hotter and drier.

So have to get bottles in a tray for tomorrow, and will check to see what hoses I have in the car for tomorrow morning. I will get up and try to leave by 7-7:15... so I can do the hoses in the morning. I only need 10 meters I think... they are all in there and I am not going to bother to take them out as I need them on Saturday anyway.

Obviously did not get any bush hogging done today, so might try to go up there tomorrow afternoon, all depending on what time I get home and get the samples packed. DS is supposed to come home tomorrow... but don't know what time he is planning to leave up there.... I really wanted to get more done, but I have a couple days to get more of it done yet.... I will be able to do it Wed and Thurs and Friday while he is working and should get a good amount of all the fields done then DS can finish up....

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I did stop to see recliners at 2 places. The one place I wanted to, and another furniture store near there. Did not get to Grand Piano...
HAD NO IDEA there were so many different recliners... sizes, styles, materials etc.
Eliminated the ones that raise up to help you stand....
Did you know that even recliners/ furniture is on back orders and that if you find something you like but want a different material or something.... that it might be 6-12 MONTHS before they get it....????? HOLY SMOKE !!!! These are all Lazy Boy recliners.... that is what they carry.....

Okay. tried different ones and found one that I kinda like.... a bit "deeper seat" from front to back so comfortable for my knees to be against the seat.... Not huge as I have a limited amount of space here with this couch.... back is a little more "upright" so I can sit in it comfortably without leaning back more for my head to touch. Part of that is I broke my tailbone as a teen getting thrown off a horse and cannot sit in a slouchy lean back position without it pinching the nerve.... I have always been one to "sit up straight".... and prefer it. It has the handle on the side, and I find them very awkward to operate... and once the foot rest is up.... you have to sorta push up with your foot on the floor to get the back to recline a bit... it sorta has notches like a ratchet.... and when you push the handle, the back comes upright then the foot rest drops and it is not as smooth as I would like.... Or you can rock back when the foot rest is up and I find that very awkward too....
This is a rocker recliner which I kinda like.... Then I tried another and it is a swivel rocker recliner.... LOVE the swivel part...didn't like the material. I want a smooth finish... leather or vinyl like... not a fabric ..... want something that will slide easier....didn't care for the chair... but got the swivel idea.
Then tried one that is electric... not to get up but the foot rest and the back are electric..... love the smoothness of the operation of it; much better than the handle on the side....Not in the style of the one I preferred, but gave me an idea....
Prices were higher than I expected... I was thinking 5-700... well, of course the one that I liked was leather and vinyl so in the 900 range....
They can add the swivel to it, there at their shop, and with taxes, etc, , it would be 1100.... ouch. But they were really nice. Looked up what has been on order to be delivered... and they expect 3 more to come in, in Oct..... and none in the style I like in the electric... and all are a fabric... so not a consideration. They can order the one I like, in the electric version... delivery next APRIL, they hope...

Said that I cannot get the swivel/rocker/recliner in the electric... which I would have ordered right then.... the electric for the foot rest and back is smooth operating... not slow... and has battery back up....sure it is more... but... I am not sold on the handle on the side. I find it very uncomfortable to use. My shoulders do not like that strain.....yep... they are something that may need replacing in the future so trying to not aggravate them.

I like the color of the one in the store, a walnut brown leather.... can make it a swivel....but has the handle.... can get a 5 yr unlimited warranty for anything, tears, stitching, you name it ... and I would get that. They will do an initial treatment of the leather and give you a bottle of stuff to use to help keep the leather supple.... I got the warranty on the desk chair I got, as it is leather, for the tears/stitching/stains etc...

Went to the other store... first off prices were a bit higher... didn't find any as comfortable to sit in.... BUT.... 2 brands they have have swivel/rocker/recliner/electric operated....... Just their plain swivel/rocker/recliners were 2-400 higher... electric versions were even more..... didn't like any of the backs/posture of them... they leaned back to where I was feeling the pressure on the tail bone nerve....

BUT, I really really like the electric version of the swivel/rocker/recliner......

SO, now I am going to do some serious internet searching.

Anyone have any pros or cons about their recliners?????? I really liked the versatility of movement in the swivel.... and it would not be wearing on the wood floors I had redone here in the LR, if the seat swiveled a bit to make it easier to see things....because the base would stay permanent on the floor and not move.....

Since this is something I plan to keep for a LOOONG TIME... I want to get something of good quality that I like. Since I did not realize they cost that much.... I want to make the best choice I can... I am not going to skimp on the cost if I get what I want. Maybe I would get used to the handle on the side to raise the foot rest up..... but none of the different models I tried were very smooth when you put the handle down to let the foot part down, the other part kinda just dropped and was noisier than I thought it should be. And was not impressed with the way you got the back to recline..... That is from trying some in both places so different manufacturers.....

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
DH has a recliner from Ashley Furniture. Do not buy from them unless you can buy the floor model. So many bad reviews of their furniture. Apparently the floor models are made better and more durable than the stuff you order and that they make for you. DH's recliner was so called "manufactured leather" which is chopped u bits of leather laminated onto fabric. It looks like leather but of course is not and does not last. After 2 years I had to make a fabric slip cover for it since pieces of the "leather" were dropping off onto the floor. The only reason we bought it was that it was a floor model, and had wooden arms which made it easier for DH to get up off with his bad knees. It is not a swivel recliner.

DH liked the swivel recliner first because he could turn it in different directions. But when getting into and out of the swivel chair, it would swivel as he lifted himself up and he would lose his balance. With his bad knees he could not get out of the chair easily. He found that the recliners with the wooden arms let him get out of the chair more easily than the padded arms. We bought the floor model from Ashley in spite of the lesser quality instead of the La Z Boy model because it was about a third of the price and we had just bought a La Z Boy sofa with 2 recliner ends that weekend. DH now uses the sofa a lot more because not only did the upholstery wear off the Ashley recliner but the padding on the foot rest has worn out in spite of the fabric slip cover I put on it. It is no longer comfortable. We will be getting rid of the Ashley recliner.

We like our La Z Boy recliner sofa. It is leather, and has worn very well. We wanted brown leather but this was the style we liked and it was on clearance sale half off! :D =D It is black leather. I can live with the black. We have had it for at least 6 years. The family uses it all the time and it is still in perfect condition. DH's next recliner will be another La Z Boy. It will be the style with the wooden arms which help him get out of the chair. La Z Boy is not cheap but they seem to last.

Glad you finally got some rain. You were worried about drought limiting your hay crop. How many cuttings have you gotten so far?

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
DH now uses the sofa a lot more because not only did the upholstery wear off the Ashley recliner but the padding on the foot rest has worn out in spite of the fabric slip cover I put on it. It is no longer comfortable. We will be getting rid of the Ashley recliner.
If the only super bad area is the footrest, that might be fixable. Had similar issue with ours including cracked board from husband kicking it closed. I cut off the existing fabric and padding. I got section of uphostery foam and heavy cotton duck fabric. I screwed a 1/2" thick board to back of broken one than reuphostered with the foam and fabric. It doesn't match but we've gotten several more years out of the recliner.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ashley is manufactured in south Vietnam.

ARecliner is a wonderful piece of furniture and you will get a lot of enjoyment out of it. Do your homework, look at manufacturers and comfort.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
We bought the floor model from Ashley in spite of the lesser quality instead of the La Z Boy model because it was about a third of the price
Buy cheap a bunch of times, buy quality once ;) These days I suspect you get to pay to drop the cheap ones off at the dump too.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
I already repaired it several times. Suggested redoing the foam on the foot rest but he has decided to get rid of it and use the sofa. We also have another recliner that was my aunt's that he can use. No rush to replace it. Next one will be a La Z Boy.

The Ashley recliner lasted for 6 years with me reupholstering it so was worth the cheaper price. We did not have MJ's recliner then. And could not afford the more expensive recliner after buying the sofa which we really needed for the family.

Since you are just buying one recliner for yourself, spend the money on the better quality model. In 15 years if it is still working, recover it.