Farmerjan's journal - Weather

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I had sinus problems yesterday, too. Chills all day. Going out into the cold sure didn't help but, a couple over counter pills got things clearing. Then sat on couch under blankets all day, all hunched up. Turned on the heated mattress pad and went to bed at 8. Had felt sleepy all day anyhow. Now I'm up too early. Sinuses feel ok but I believe every muscle in my body is tight. 🤨 Coffee and then stretches to limber up.

They said might get into upper single digits here last night but, it's 21 on my gauge now so don't think we got there. Had to bust an inch or two of ice on big tubs yesterday. I had filled everything prior to storm knowing I could do that and still have water for the animals. Couple with smaller containers needed warm water, too thick to break I need to put a couple plug in buckets plugged in for them. Duh! 🤫. Maybe today since I'm thinking I feel better. Slight headache, so take something for that in a few.

Ended up being way less snow than projected a week ago. What we got was fairly dry and fluffy. My road is clear and all mains. The in town areas were worse with traffic and bridges. Several businesses closed, car lots, etc, colleges, only essential personnel at military bases. Very few power outages. All in all, things should be pretty normal Monday. Still, I don't want more😁. Pretty sure it'll be cold all week, so miserable in my book! No wind would be helpful.

Yes -- it's winter! 😰💨❄️

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Tremendous headache again, and sinus. Taking Guaifenesin so that the coughs are less and blowing nose more. No body aches or anything though.... So, took some stuff for the headache and just ate the other half of the soup I made last night.

Was only down to 19 last night and 35 now... it was sunnier earlier but now mostly cloudy. Daytime temps supposed to get up in the low 40's and then warmer and sun for the next couple of days. That'll work.

Got the dishes done, but not alot of energy for much else. I did run the vacuum some and did some general "house pick up ".... might go putter in the kitchen a little bit once the headache eases off... thinking that a movie would be a nice quiet thing for the afternoon....

Our snow is not leaving very fast after it turned so cold. There is a hard crust on the top so makes walking a little tricky. It shrunk with the couple warm days last week, but then stopped when we got those cold temps.... Hoping for more sun tomorrow.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Cold is relative to what we are used to. 🙄
VERY TRUE!!!!! 15F when I went out to do afternoon chicken and alpaca snacking. Felt balmy compared to yesterday. Carhartt work coat, hat and insulated gloves more than fine. Yesterday it was insulated Carhartt coveralls, hat and mittens. Thumbs still got cold.

Unlike Jan, I'm not out in the cold very long unless I'm blowing snow. The animal chores don't take more than 20 minutes then back to the house. Or pulling snow off the solar panels, again not a lot of time needed. So while I joke with y'all about being cold sissys, I'm one too :)

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
I had sinus problems yesterday, too. Chills all day.
Have a scratchy throat again and a cough from this cotton pickin' sinus drainage....
Tremendous headache again, and sinus. Taking Guaifenesin so that the coughs are less and blowing nose more.
That is how everything started here in the Plague House! Sore throat first, then chills, fever and heavy coughing. Everyone had different combination of symptoms and varying degrees of illness.

Just watch out for the fever and chills together. Then you better just go to bed and wait it out. Everyone here is recovering. DS2 and DDIL2 had another Rapidtest and are now negative. DD2 texted she is now positive. DD1 is hassling DH and I to get tested. WHY? We are on the mend. DH did say he might go to VA for a test next week.

I hate the cold but at least you can put on heavier layers. So glad our new place in Texas has a fireplace for emergency heating. I will add a propane tank for a generator, and emergency cooking when we move back.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I hate the cold but at least you can put on heavier layers. So glad our new place in Texas has a fireplace for emergency heating. I will add a propane tank for a generator, and emergency cooking when we move back.
Yep, something that wasn't possible in So. Cal.. Even if you were allowed to walk around naked, 115°F is painfully hot. Never had A/C in the house we grew up in, just suffered those hot days.

Regarding the fireplace .... get the chimney checked then buy an insert with outside air feeding it. Fireplaces on the whole are heat losers, not heat producers.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Even if you were allowed to walk around naked, 115°F is painfully hot.
Except when a predator attacks your animals in the middle of the night. DH ran outside as I chased him with a pair of pants. He used a shovel as a weapon. Several months later we got our first LGD. :lol: He was young and buff then so I can remember the incident fondly. :gig

Latest posts