Farmerjan's journal - Weather

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Vehicle reg is $33 annually, plus cost of tags
You have to get new plates every year??? I'm on my second set of the plates that I got in '86. Move the registration to each "next" vehicle. They should use better paint, every time I cross the border the agent asks what my plate "number" is. They never ask DD1 even though she's her car in front of me. I guess they can't read mine with their cameras?? I suppose I'll have to buy new plates in the not distant future.

Actually I'll have to ask DW if she was asked since she took the Prime to help DD1 move out of the apartment. Maybe I'm just suspicious looking. The Leaf clearly can't make it that far with the current dearth of quick charging stations between here and Sackville. And while she could have taken her '06 Prius I kinda figured it would be a better bet to take a car with 25,000 miles on it rather than the one with 250,000. Plus, no need to buy gas in Canada. If you think it is high here you really don't want to pay what they do.

We have sales taxes, too. Even on groceries, although less than other commodities.
No tax on not "prepared" groceries as Alaskan said. But I get a bit peeved about that. You have to pay a "rooms and meals" tax on a cooked chicken but you can buy all the junk food or frozen high sodium "dinners" you like with no tax. Nice way to entice people to eat more healthy food. No tax on clothing and shoes either.

Because of the lawyer and all the legal stuff with my parents estate, I had to pay nearly $500 sales tax on the Explorer.... to get the new title
Because you bought it rather than inheriting it I suppose.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
You have to get new plates every year??
Oh no...just decals. We pay 33 to state on pptx ea yr, then fees for decals/ tags are apprx 24 a yr, depends on weight. You can buy the decals for up to 3 yr at a time. For triple $$. 🤣 Yep. If you don't pay pptx, they can notify DMV and you can't buy decals. We can transfer tags as in old car to new one.

We pay 12% on restraurant/prepared foods, 2.5% on groc, and 6% gen mdse....nonfood, alcohol, clothes, auto parts, Etc.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
There is a sales tax on alcohol and cigarettes but it has been so long since I bought alcohol (last time was the amaretto and I didn't pay attention) and have never bought cigarettes or tobacco so couldn't tell if there is extra tax on that.

Yeah, I had to buy the explorer from the estate... and not only paid a sales tax but am making payments on the loan I took out for it, for now. Some other issues that I haven't talked about with it right now too.

Seems the explorer does not have 78,000 on it. I don't know if my brother actually read it for the lawyer... or if he didn't have his glasses on when he read it...or if he just said 78,000..... but.... it has 48,000+.... like 48,500 or so. I had signed the papers and all and got the tags. Then when they inspected it here, I saw that the inspection said 48,000 something... so I looked at it. Yep, 48,000+..... so I talked to the mechanic I use and he said he cannot fix it because it is on the new title....and who would want to turn it "up" rather than the way they used to turn the odometer's "back"... when people did that sort of cheating on mileage. :hide :idunno. So, I took it this morning when I went to the dentist appt and went by the Ford place because I also found out on the way home that there is a govenor on it... 80 mph. Now, I don't normally drive that fast... BUT on the highway with everyone going around you and all, staying at 70-75 is fine... until you get a slower vehicle in front of you and you want to go around them. And you have a tractor trailer breathing down your a$$ and you just want to get around the slower vehicle and get over... and it won't go over 80 and it like just stops accelerating at 80. It was not a good feeling. It is actually SCARY to know you can't go faster to get around a vehicle and you can't get back over into the right lane because you are alongside several vehicles....or to be able to stomp on the gas if an emergency of some sort happened and you had to get out of the way of a vehicle behind you.... I thought something was going "bad" or something... called DS who was a couple tenths of a mile ahead and told him... and he said that maybe something was wrong... but he called my brother and found out that my father had a govenor put on it... it is in the key thing.... so my mother couldn't go too fast when she was on the highway; because of her alzheimer's starting to show???? Who knows.... totally ridiculous... I mean at 80 mph if she had a problem she could be killed anyway... So, my mechanic said that is programmed in by ford and I would have to go to them....

So, the reason to take the explorer today since I was right in town at the dentist and a mile or so from the ford dealer here. I talked to them and they said if there were 2 keys to try the other key and it might only be restricted on the one key... an unrestricted key is the "administrator key".... and that they could reprogram the key for about $150... and I asked what it would be worth since I wasn't sure I was going to keep it... he said to go talk to the guys at the used car part of the dealership. Got to talking to a nice young guy that is from down this way... we know some of the same people and he knows my DS (don't know if that is good or bad)... but he ran the vin and said I would not believe what it was worth... with the 48,000 miles on it. Not quite twice what I paid for it....:ep
:th:th:idunno:hu:hide
Like really... trade in would be about 4-5,000 more and private sale would be in the 17-20,000 range. He said if I was not in love with it or if I didn't have sentimental attachment to it, that this is the time to sell it because used vehicles are crazy...... Then he told me that a friend of his just went through a similar deal with a vehicle, bought from an estate, father died, mileage recorded wrong... and some of the things that I would need, to go about fixing the title... and I mentioned the govenor on the key thing and he said that if only one key is restricted... something to do with the "my key setting".... that it sould be fixed in a few minutes and did not cost anything... for me to try the other key and if it didn't have any restrictions on it, to come by and it would take about 5 minutes to reprogram it. But if there was not an unrestricted "administrator key" and the restricted key, I would have to have it done there at the service dept. I asked why would someone do something like that and he said it is common, in say families with a new teenage driver, they can be restricted to not driving fast or over the speed limit and such... SOOO; I have the other key, I will take it out and drive it one day on the interstate here, and see if it is restricted on the 2nd key... if not I will go and get it changed. If so, then I will have to take it to be reprogrammed since one key is not the "administrator key"....
And I am going to see about going through the steps to get the title mileage fixed so it is right ... then seriously think about selling it. The used car rep also said not to worry about fixing the spots on the front of the hood... ford is known for them. It wouldn't be worth the money if I am not going to keep it.
All in all a very informative day.
Then get home, finished the one load of laundry and put another one in to hang in a bit... made a pbj sandwich. Get a call that there are 4 head of cattle out and they couldn't get ahold of Michael... go up there with a bucket and feed... and it is the 4 from the "blind calf lot"... how in the he// they got down the long driveway and down the road 2 tenths..on a busy road that they "fly down.... and of course when you are by yourself..... NOT a good thing. Called DS several times, called his GF and even tried her sister... I needed help... couldn't keep the cows in the front field to try to get these guys in through the gate... one is about totally blind and 2 of the others are 90%... one sees and we keep her with them to have someone to "lead them" .....finally DS called me back and I told him and he came up with one of the guys from VDOT, since they were waiting on the asphalt truck to get back with another load for the patching job... These guys don't know my voice since I never feed them... DS and GF always take care of them.... and after we got them started in the right direction, they followed DS down the road and the driveway and he put them back in their little field and closed the gate to the second small lot he was letting them eat. He said he will check and try to find where they got out... Really strange they got out and down the road like that. Had to take them some time to just meander down there... They were grazing along the shoulders, but the one would go out in the road because she can't see anything...blind from a baby... they will be beef since they can eat and grow...

What a day. In between the ford place and coming home I also went and set up the meters at the farm. And I am going to head up there in just a little bit to test.... That's enough.... Allergies are driving me nuts... got to go hang the rest of the clothes... oh and get the tea in that is out in the sun.....

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wed night. Done testing... home... in for the night. When I was going down the road to go test, I saw my nurse cow, good ole 801, up in the field with a little calf right there with her. I knew she was due but didn't think it was until June... So, I went to work and asked them if they had any baby calves as my nurse cow just calved... They said too bad I didn't ask 2 days ago and I said, my cow hadn't calved 2 days ago... So I got to thinking of who I could call and realized that both the farms I have gotten calves from send them to the stockyard sale on Wednesdays.... so I would be out of luck... So, we start milking/testing and who comes in but the farmer that I get my milk from... he has come to pick up a couple of calves.... I said WHAT???? he said yeah, and I said SHOOT... I should have known... he gets calves off this farm I was testing at to use the milk he gets from his 3-5 that he still milks, and where I get my milk to drink.... so he said why, and I said because I had just asked about calves because my nurse cow just calved... and he said that he didn't "need them" if I wanted to take them instead,.... I said no, that's not fair, and he said, no really, if you need them then take them and I will get the next ones... so... bless his heart... I will bring them home tomorrow morning after milking.... and then get my nurse cow and her calf in the little barn at the nurse cow field... and get them started on her and keep her calf and these 2 in together and she
will let them nurse when I bring her in for feed... One good thing after the loose calves and all that today.

I did get the laundry hung and then brought it in after I got home this evening. It was all good and dry and smells sooooo good. Will get it folded one of these days....at least it is in and clean and dry.

Allergies have been miserable today....
Hopefully the rain will take some of the pollen out of the air....

I am going in to take a shower and get some sleep. Have to be up and back at the barn by 5:30 a.m..... not a real early farm thank goodness.
Have not gotten the lawn mowed yet.... :hide
Start all over tomorrow..... :idunno :th:barnie:barnie:barnie:lol:

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh, also DS said the cull cows sold good... prices off a little but still decent. 6 more gone... and that cow calf pairs are totally through the roof... a neighbor bought 22 pairs and averaged 2,000 a pair... DS said we should have bought all the ones at the sale a couple weeks ago... said these were nice enough cows but not as good as the ones we bought.... My 4 cull cows brought about $700 each, and his did about the same he said. He was driving so I told him not to look at the checks... he said he was pleased with the prices so I said good...

So tomorrow I am going to try to get the calves in that need to be worked and the couple I want to sell, at the nurse cow pasture after I get 801 and her calf in the other pen/side of the barn. Maybe between tomorrow and Friday, I can get them in and what needs to go to the sale, moved to doug's so they can go to the sale. DS is going to get the rest of the calves in at doug's and look over what heifers we are keeping, what is going to WVa and what is going to the sale on Saturday... I need to run up to the place where the equipment auction is going to be and see what all is there so I can tell him what I am interested in... There were 2 polyfiber/plastic whatever... calf hutches... If they go for a reasonable price I want them for here...need some shelter for the twins when I get them.... hopefully Saturday..... and want to look over a few other things. New calf hutches sell for 350 or so... If I can get these for around 200 that would be good... but prices could be nuts... and maybe they will be cheaper.... won't know until then...