Farmerjan's journal - Weather

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Monday night... it is after 10.... wow...

Got cow done, Talked to DS, went down hill and finished raking the little bit of the field I didn't get done because of the hi tensile wire problem. Raked a little spot of about 2 acres behind the barn there... I hate this cutting pieces of this pasture, as so much has so much rock... but DS managed to get around without any real rock problems this year... DS brought the tedder and hooked it up and I went up to the "top field" and it was thick and quite a bit of green.... took about an hour to get it all tedded it out... about 6-8 acres I think he said. It never would have dried at all without being tedded out. Then tried out a row in 2 different spots on the way back down but they were quite dry.
The couple of sprinkles had pretty well stopped... it cleared off some of the clouds and could see a few peeks through of blue, but not really sun. It did warm up to 78 on my thermometer....
I went to test and got that all done. Talked to DS on the way home... he got all 3 different places baled today, and the little spot above the barn down there too. He unhooked the tedder and hooked up the rake so I can rake tomorrow. I have the other little patch of pasture, the "long field" that is about 4 acres, the tedded out field up top that is like 7-8 acres I think, and then down across the creek as we call it for another 5-6 acres. He said that did not need tedding either. Then back up the hill to the last piece he mowed that he said did not need tedding... about 4-5 acres I guess. I will be on the tractor for many hours all together...
He said he is going to work a half day...which means 6-10 a.m.... and hopes that I get started a bit ahead, so that he can do a few things at the barn then come down and start baling. I need to keep ahead of him which usually isn't too hard if I get an hour or 2 head start. I figure to be on the tractor by about 9 a.m. if all goes well.

I am praying that there are no "little sprinkles" to cause us to have to question raking or baling like this morning... we want to get it all "up" tomorrow -Tuesday- Rain/showers/storms forecast for Wed eve and Thursday...

I am going to get the samples packed to drop off in the morning... I have to go by and get some feed for the cow... and I have to take the meters out of the outback, since I have not had the time to see about the tire on the forester that is flat. I will probably just get the air tank, and hopefully it will get me down to the co-op farm bureau (3 miles away) so they can pull it off and see if there is something in it. I don't see any other tires here at the house for this car.... 14's for the ranger... there might be a couple at doug's barn... but if it is just a piece of wire or nail or something they can patch it... but in the meantime, I will get the meters put away, get some feed in the outback so it won't get wet...
And maybe be able to get the rest of the mulch hay and stuff off the ranger before it rains too.
Worry about the tire the end of the week after the friends have been here and left to continue on their trip to Cass, WVa and ride on the steam train that goes up the mountain there... it is a narrow gauge train that was originally for timbering the mountain off.... we've been there a few times over the years... nice to go on.

So that is my day looking at me... Oh and I forgot to put the clothes out with the sprinkles and then the hay work... so would really like to get them out in the morning so they will dry. Forecast is for the heat to come back in and hit 90's tomorrow... partly sun I think... Hot and sticky Wed then drop off to the 80's for a few days....

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Your son got the baling done and it didn’t get rained on! Super! More baling today, then rain coming. The rain will be good for the grass that has just been cut. Only going to be 99F here today. Then back to the 100’s for the rest of the week. I put up the electro-netting and put Ringo and his girls in the yard. By 2-3 they are bawling to go back home to their shady pen. It’s hot there too, but they flop down, pant and ruminate. I moved the netting last night, got to raise and stake it this morning. Ground is hard. We need rain.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
7 hours solid on the tractor, raking. I just came in, got another cold drink and a 1/2 egg salad sandwich... going out to the garden for a little bit. Temps went from 60 to 88 and it was hot out in the sun. Thankfully, no rain on any of it... and with the heat it was drying what few "green spots" there were, FAST.... DS worked til 1 then brought me Wendy's lunch and then went to baling as I finished raking the "across the creek" field, after doing the long field then the top field... then left and came up the hill and did the 2 lots in the subdivision that were very dry without ever being tedded. This is the way we like to make hay... 95% not needing tedding due to the dry air and sunny weather... Going outside... be back later if I don't fall asleep in the shower.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Back in, shower, hair washed... all the cow manure from yesterday and the sweat today... away down the drain... sorta like the Roto-Rooter jingle !!!!
Worked in the garden until I couldn't see. Got the mulch/old hay stuff unloaded off the truck. Put down along the new green bean plants that came up.
Took a bale of straw and mulched more along the potatoes until I could not see what I was doing... Will try to do the rest of the potatoes tomorrow.
The old watermelon seeds did not come up but the cucumbers and the butternut squash did. Got some of the cardboard down and old mulch stuff on top to keep them from getting blown around or anything. Got to get some more and get it around the cucumbers... and then the cantaloupes that were already up before I left and the green striped crenshaw melon plants.
The grass is taking over the garden where I did not get it mulched earlier... It does pull up pretty easy though. There is quite a bit in some of the rows with the plants... I just have not had the time to get in there like I should. Hopefully we are done with hay for a few days... and no more trips up north except when I go get the other truck and bring it home... so if it is not sweltering out, I hope that I can spend an hour or 2 most evenings in there and get it caught up. The yellow squash plants are really growing, there are green tomatoes that I can see. Peppers on some plants too. The first green bean plants are getting some size and the ones I just planted before we went, are up.
The lawn mower won't start... just keeps cranking this time. DS said he has a friend that has one for sale... Maybe I need a "better" one... The grass DESPERATELY needs mowing too....

Today was a nice but "warmer day"... At least the clouds and sprinkles from yesterday went away... DS got everything baled this afternoon... he was at the last field that I had raked when I went back up to get my hearing protectors so they did not get wet... they were on the steering wheel of the tractor which is where I put them when I got off and shut it down.
Sadly, we still have several more places to do and there is a 20-30% chance of some storms....through the next few days...one day of 10% chance..... then up to 40-50% chance right through NEXT Friday... Unless it changes I guess we are done for a week or so.
I sure hope I get the lawn mowed before I can't find the clothesline....:hide :hide:hit
I even got the clothes hung today but forgot to bring them in this evening when I got in the garden. Should be fine as it is supposed to be partly sunny and HOT tomorrow until late afternoon.
Going to put another gallon of sun tea out in the morning.
Got to run down and get some feed in the morning for the cow and calves.....
And try to make the house a little presentable for the company that is coming from CT to visit... Hoping we can take them around to the farms and all since they are farm raised....

I noticed that the african violet leaves that I had stuck in soil to try to get to grow have FINALLY got some little baby plants coming along. Several of the leaves did not make it but there are a bunch that did. There is a new round of flowers coming on the mature plants and some of the ones that I got from the violet barn mail order are showing buds too.
Remember all the bargain ones I got for next to nothing this winter on clearance from Lowes? They all look really good and many are flowering too. I have several duplicates so have some that I can give away or sell... Still hoping for a yard sale this summer... Thought maybe June but hay making has to take preference right now after the trips north and all...plus dealing with the weather.... Maybe in July????
Need to get some stuff more organized in the kitchen so that once it is time to start picking vegs.. I can get them processed and into the freezers.

Right now I am going to head for a soft spot to put this aching body....

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
What company from CT?

At least y'all are getting caught up on hay. We are in drought, I electro netted the front yard for the sheep to graze. They have another day of grazing, then it's dry lot time. It was interesting yesterday, traffic on the highway didn't faze those sheep one bit. A couple of mobile hoes went by, 18 wheelers, garbage trucks, oversized load, they ignored it all and ate that grass! LOL

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
My DS's godmother, her daughter and husband. They are going to Cass WVa to ride on the steam engine train, that was originally used to haul logs off the mountain when it was logged. M was my mom's friend and was in 4-H with her, then I moved right up near her after getting married, in CT and we were more friends than the age difference would make you think. Her daughter was named after me when she had her years earlier... then her daughter was Michael's babysitter when I had him.... we had horses, and M's family had a dairy and when they sold out, they had kept some heifers and we kept and milked one for several years for "house milk"....
A year or 2 ago something happened and J (daughter) lost most of her sight, and I think that it is getting worse... She is about 10-12 years older than DS and her husband just retired. He worked his families dairy for awhile.... lots of family politics, BS, and then he went to work for their town DOT so he and DS have alot incommon. Great guy. They raised 3 kids, and have one new grandchild now... M and J have often come down this way to go visit an old family friend in NC before he passed, and to visit other friends that also "migrated " to Va. There is a niece that now lives with her husband in southwest Va....
Anyway, this trip was a planned one for J and C (husband) and he invited his MIL to come... they get along great. So they will be here this afternoon and part of tomorrow then go to Cass WV and stay there... I think the train ride is on Friday or Sat.... It is a 6 hour thing to the top of the mountain... I have been a couple times.

So, I am up, ate some eggs, going to get feed and do the cow and then come home and do some straightening in the LR and such but with all the boxes from my stuff, then the stuff from our first trip up to parents when we came home with the cattle trailer full of stuff... there is not much to making it decent at this point. Not going to sweat it, they are not judgemental and don't come to see my house...

Have one he// of a headache... too many hours in the sun and all on the tractor for the last few days.

Gotta get going.