Farmerjan's journal - Weather

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
What is the model of the Ford? We have a 4600 and a 6600. They are great tractors and fairly maneuverable. Good on fuel overall and very usable. Not hard to get on and off either... That is a very good price.... but that said, look at the drought and conditions, and farmers going out. There will be some more equipment for sale as people quit and money gets tight.
Things to consider is the number of hours on the tractor and look for things like any grease/oil leaks.... if there are oil and gas filters, look to see if the farmer has scratched the date on the filter. Most all farmers will scratch the date on the filter when it is changed.... they don't have time to go look at papers when they have a down day and can do things like normal maintenance, oil changes, greasing etc. All according to how much use the tractors get here, the filters get changed yearly or every couple years... I don't know what # of hours DS uses for guidelines. I will have to ask him.
You want to drive a tractor and see if the steering is easy to use, and if it seems tight while driving... don't want to feel like you turn the wheel for half a turn before the wheels actually turn. And the brakes... you want to step on them and have them stop..... PTO works on the back...also are there at least 2... preferable 4 "holes" in the back for hydraulic lines. Make sure there are no leaks in hydraulic lines although they are replaceable... but they are getting expensive....You won't see any leaks unless the tractor is running and you are using the hydraulic levers which puts the fluid into the lines so there is pressure... Beware of any "new paint"..... cleaned up by a pressure washer is fine... but you want to make sure that you get to try it so that once running the little "seeps and leaks" will show up.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
That is a very good price.... but that said, look at the drought and conditions, and farmers going out. There will be some more equipment for sale as people quit and money gets tight.

That may be the only good news about the drought since we need a tractor. Although bad news for farmers that are barely breaking even. Oh wait, that would be all of them! :(:hugs

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wed... LONG DAY.... the biggest news is it started to POUR DOWN rain around 3-3:30 p.m. when we were getting the cows in the barn lot. And then it poured down again this eve around 8-9 on our way home from the stockyards.
They call 'em "Toad stranglers" for a reason.

Got up around 3:30 a.m. Went to the farm and got there about 5 for a supposed 5:30 milking. Everything is dark... The father doesn't get there 'til 5:15 or so, the daughter doesn't get there until after 5:30... and we don't get started milking until 6.... Could've slept another half hour or more....
Finally got done and left there around 10:30. Stopped at the Goodwill and did some looking. Bought an electrolux canister type vacuum with the power nozzle for $4.99... mostly like the one I have. Could not pass that up.... sure was not looking for one as mine works... but could never buy a new (er) one so I am glad to have it. Parts will interchange at the least. Yes, I plugged it in and it worked.

Stopped and filled up at a station... $3.19... if you paid cash... all the other stations were 3.24 if you used a card. We are down to 3.49 here but WOW....
Came home, packed the samples, DS texted and was going to be at barn after work to get the cows in as he was planning to take them after all...
So it had been very sunny and hot and muggy as all get out. But then around 2 it started to cloud a little in the west and then it started to get dark .... I met him at the barn and he went down and managed to get the bull in through the gate into the lot that comes up to the barn... and left him to hopefully meander his way up the hill, while we were going to see about getting in the cows from the field behind the barn. In the meantime, I was getting the gates and panels rearranged and the car parked crossways in a gap, and got the gates open for him to be able to drive his truck out in this field behind the barn for the "idiot " cows.
Got them out through the gate, into the little area and one ran back but the worst of them went right down the alley and into the barn lot. He backed up the truck and got the other one as she did not want to be left alone... It was POURING down rain at this point. I opened the gate, let him out and got my car back out and then sat there for a few minutes since it was pouring so hard. I was soaked right through to the skin. DS was sitting in his truck down closer to the barn... and he called and said did you ever???? I said I was waiting for it to let up a little so I could close that other gate and then I had to go home and get a dry shirt at least. He said to go get it and maybe it would have let up by the time I got back... 10 min or so.
I hung my dripping shirt in the bathtub and came back... it had let up some... got the gate closed and went into the barn. We sorted off the 3 calves, and then the bull came right up by the gate in that lot so he shut the cows in the barn and let the bull in.
Then we loaded the 5 cows and the bull... and left for the sale. Left those 3 calves in with 2 bull calves we sorted off yesterday.... the bull calves were off the 3-in-1 's that we bought... we left them bulls in case we decided that we wanted to keep one as a bull if by chance one was outstanding.... NOPE... not going to keep either as a bull. They are nice... will make nice steers, but nothing "extra special" to want to keep them as bulls. Tomorrow they will get banded and one of the 3 smaller calves will get treated for pinkeye... it is pretty bad. Since they would not come to the front of the field, we just didn't see it.
It rained so hard on the way up there it was hard to see.... It stopped by the time we got there. Unloaded and the bull and 2 cows were put in the cull cows... the bull weighed 2110 lbs... he was a big boy and looked good. Not a bad disposition but he would not stay where you put him and would go along and set his shoulder against a post and push... has broken at least 20 off .... got tired of his nonsense.
They sold decent. The bull brought 1.10 /lb... so that was a very nice deal... my 2 cull cows brought about what I paid for them, so it was a wash. They were not real big cows. The 3 we sold as breds did okay... not as good as I wanted after last night's high prices... but they weren't the quality as the ones last night. The bred heifer surprised me and brought $1100... and I am glad she is gone. She was not real big and she is an idiot. We are glad they are all gone... end of this bunch of problem animals. Didn't make a big profit, except the bull did real good....but didn't bury any or anything stupid because they got hurt or tried to kill themselves or something. Frees up another field (lot) there at the barn too.

Left to come home and it started to POUR down rain again... thunder, lightning...wind blowing....
So we are home.. It let up and I scrambled for the car and he got in the other truck and was leaving to go to GF.... We had fixed the gates for the calves earlier before we left, so they are fine for the night.
I'm going in to take a hot shower and get some sleep. I have to be at the dentist in the morning at 8... have to take the sample bottle tray that is ready... then go to the farm 125 miles north to test at 1 p.m.
I will look at the rain gauge in the morning but I would say over 1-2 inches between the 2 rains. Don't know if we are going to get anymore tonight and not worried about it. Hope this cools it down a little bit though. 90's and the humidity was making it feel like a sauna to just walk across the room...

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Getting rid of idiot cows and the bull is a good day. Getting rain makes it even better. Why don’t you send me a pint jar of rain, I could pour it on the ground. I just KNOW it would attract more because rain doesn’t like to be all alone. LOL

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Having to do all that loading and sorting in heavy rain, lucky they came in the barn! I wonder if the lower prices were because of some people deciding to give the sale a miss due to the heavy rain.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Home from testing and waiting on DS to call so we can work the 2 bull calves and the one calf with the pinkeye through the chute. He said he would let me know when he is at the barn....
Got up and took my "pre-meds" before the dentist appt.... have to do it every time I get dental work done, cleanings and all, since getting the replacements. Dumped all the plants that were full of water to the top edge from all the rain. 2.8 inches total was what I dumped out of the rain gauge, this morning.

Sample bottles in car, got done there and left to meander my way north. Took the "scenic route" up Rt. 11 which the interstate "replaced" years ago for speed and to not go through all the little towns. Stopped at a wagon with just picked sweet corn and got another dozen. Self serve, honor system payment... and I didn't have much cash on me since I had bought dinner last night at the stockyard. Didn't want to leave a check as alot of people don't like/trust them. Stopped at McAllisters to get lunch... it has pretty nice sandwiches and soups and salads... "higher end" type sandwiches... Then went to the feed store near the farm and checked for darts for the gun for shooting the calves with antibiotics, for pinkeye, out at pasture... didn't have any but found a pair of ankle boots that I could actually get my ankle/foot into... so I got them. Not cheap... along the line of muck type boots... I need something I can get on and off this ankle. Then stopped at the orchard next to the dairy and they were open til 4 p.m. and I wanted to get some peaches and they had "seconds" at half price. She said she would get a box for me.
Then tested... down to 33 cows... went back and got a box of peaches, got some good nectarines and a small bag of some HUGE "good" peaches. Came on home and got here about 5.

Looks like the rain is done with us now for a couple days... radar showing it all towards the east. The temps are supposed to drop off about 10-15 degrees... nights ought to be nice for sleeping.
Tipped all the planters and all back up right. Have to go hang all the big spider plants back up as I had taken them down with the forecast yesterday and then glad I did because of the wind and t-storms last evening.
I am going up to do the cow and then hopefully DS will call. I am tired and want to get some sleep and not set an alarm for tomorrow. Will do the corn and work on the peaches tomorrow.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Baymule PM me your address and I will send a pint of water next day air so you can invite more to come for a visit.....

Friday morning. COOL 64 out there. Partly cloudy but the radar looks like it is passing and we will see more sunshine.... That works for me. Next few days are supposed to be cooler than normal... Interesting. 2 days of sun and then possible showers late on Sunday and then another week of 30-50% rain... Certainly has turned out to be a wetter than normal summer... One good thing is that our corn won't be stressed so will stay green longer....
Went to the farm after doing the cow and DS and I got the 3 calves in. Banded the 2 bull calves... the one is really high headed... hope this calms him down a little... the other was a nice calf... nothing outstanding but has a good build and with a nice butt... will make a real nice steer. They went back in with the other few heifers we weaned off the cows last week when we sold the steers. Treated the other one's eyes... the 3 small ones, 2 off my cows and 1 off DS's idiot cow, will stay in the barn lot there and I will feed grain and hay for the next several days. Hope her eyes clear up and then they will go to the nurse cow pasture. I will put them in the lot there and feed grain and some hay for about a week and then when they know that there is grain in the barn, will let them go out through the creep gate and graze and hope they figure out to come in through the creep gate with the others that I am graining some everyday. This way they will get fed better than DS would take care of them at the barn and have shelter if they want.... Since the ones on my nurse cow come in with the other 3 all the time now, they will have some others to "follow" and learn the routine.
Got a new calf on one of the cows we took back to the nurse cow field. It is the one we called the lame cow. She has gotten better in the last 2 years, but still has some sort of back/leg problems. She is quiet and easy going, and have her one heifer there also that is bred. She has real big front teats this time and the calf is having trouble getting on the fronts but seems to be nursing the backs real good. I am going to try to get her in and see if I can get the front 2 teats drained out so the calf can get on them better. I suspect this will be the cow's last calf, she was not supposed to be here for more than one and kept getting pregnant right away and this is her 4th calf here. But she still lays down alot so I know that the back/leg still bothers her. No sense in pushing our luck. She has had a very good, extended life here. This is a heifer calf also, so if it is decent we will keep it and continue the legacy. Time will tell.

DS wants me to move round bales today... there are all the ones on the wheat field that I thought GF was moving... but obviously she is not doing anything at the present time.... He is leaving early Sunday morning to go up to my brother's in NY state to Lake Ontario to go fishing on his boat with one of the DR's. that works on his neck/shoulder/headaches... he needs the break. He asked me last night if I would do the chickens at his house... guess she is too busy with getting her daughter ready for school next week to even help him out that way. Once a day for an hour???? Nope, easier to ask me. I wish he would get rid of the chickens, as he does not have any real interest in them anymore...he doesn't show them, and they just cause grief with his father and his constant criticism all the time. He doesn't spend any time at his house anymore.... I think things are not so great at her house lately, but he won't say anything. Not getting involved.

I did get new glasses ordered the other day. Should be here in a week. Then I can keep my old ones for the barn and stuff and at least have an extra pair. Expensive enough...$500+..... got all the "bells and whistles", a newer lighter weight type of "lenses" (polycarbonate something or other), with the transitions lenses (which I have always gotten) to get darker outside, and the progressive lenses so no bi-focal line, anti glare for the night driving since I have more trouble now especially with the newer headlights that are just too piercing.... and a newer style that makes them have a wider field of vision that is not distorted with the progressive lenses. The one thing I do not like the progressive lenses for, is that looking out the edges like I do to look at equipment behind me, it is blurry due to the nature of the progressive lenses. So, will see how I like the newer style of lenses. I am hoping it will improve being able to glance out of the corner of my eye to look at equipment that is behind me while on the tractor.

So, I am going to get the samples packed from last night. Have to mark the ones that he wants tested for the A2A2 milk as he has someone that is interested in some. Down to 32 cows milking.... I expect he will be out before the winter.

Think I will get the corn done before I go anywhere since it will be easier. The peaches will require some time to scald and peel and all that.
Got a farm scheduled for Monday, and have to get in touch with a couple more. Got another for Friday but have to check with him middle of the week to make sure. Some places will be getting into chopping corn in the areas that haven't gotten as much rain... want to get them done so that it is one less thing for the farmers to have to deal with.
Time to get up and going....

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Busy, busy! At least, being in cattle farming, you understand your customer time needs for more than milking. It helps. Most of my assigned stores have had same managers for the several years I've serviced them. Makes it easier for both of us!

Now you're trying to work in the produce....I'm there 😊 sometimes the next day you wonder how you did it!! :oldo_O canning is such a time consumer! Oh. I love it and enjoy the results but, while happening, geesh. It's something that works well if there are two working it. This weekend will be a marathon of sorts. Like...time to do doesn't wait. Gotta pick, gotta process, gotta make time.

I need to rework freezer so I can buy beef from you at swap. That's NOT far off :oops::th