Farmerjan's journal - Weather

Finnie

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have seen it down to $4.29 at a couple of stations. Wanna trade? ;)
Yesterday I filled up at $4.04 on my way to buy chicken feed. I topped off when I got back (so I know how much I spent driving farther to get cheaper feed) and the same gas station had raised their price one penny while I was gone!

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ramik - it is an anticoagulant

I kept putting out more as the bait site was emptied until I didn't see any more rats. Found a whole stash months later so don't put out much. I figure since Jan doesn't have any pets at the moment, she could use it in the house. I used it in the barn but put it in a box with an entrance hole where the chickens couldn't get to it.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Problem with poison in the house is they die and I don't find them until they stink... not my idea of good way to get rid of them. If it was just outside I would... and I may get some and use it in the shed out there... Maybe it would kill the ground hog that I have only seen a couple times running for the hole under the shed????

Wound up raining a bit more today and I did not go move hay as I didn't want to be up and down the hill and making a mess of the grass and onto their lawn to get to the driveway. It finally stopped and cleared off about 5-6 p.m. and the sun was half out and blue skies. I will get to it in the morning. I plan to get all out of that field if at all possible. I did not think to check the rain gauge so will look tomorrow but think we might have had several tenths.

I went and did the calves before I went to test. They were in the barn out of the rain. They had been out in the grass in the alley though as I can see where they are eating it. I put 3 more sections of the sq bale in the barn for them along with the grain.

Dropped the samples off for shipment and did DS's chickens. Haven't heard a word from him, I am sure GF has heard from him every day. Hope he had a good couple of days fishing. He leaves to come home tomorrow and will be home by evening...

Testing went good, always does there... will pack the samples to ship tomorrow.
I thought my PT appt was tomorrow but it is Thurs morning... so I will try to get an early start tomorrow around here and then go to the field as soon as the wet is off the grass when the sun comes up. I'm going to try to go to bed earlier tonight... I have not been sleeping very good. I think I am not "tired enough" as in not enough physical tiredness...

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Morning to everyone. Clouds out there but looking like the sky is clearing and hope to see more sun. Supposed to be clearing off and decent for the next 3 days then weather/storms come in over the weekend. Sure would be nice if we could have a repeat of the gorgeous weather we had last Saturday....
60 to start, nice sleeping temps. maybe hit 80 the next couple of days. Think we have broken the 90's temps for the year....

Had planned to have today and Thurs off and then test a big herd on Friday. But another one texted me and they are selling another group of cows and wanted to know if I could do them this week. Just sent them a text and said either Thurs or Sat.... Feast or famine.... I planned to see about doing them next week.... oh well....that seems to be the way lately, a week or 2 crammed full and then a week of none or maybe one... I am liking the weeks of NONE....

HURRAY, no mice in 24 hours....

Gonna eat and see about packing the samples from last night and then going and getting in the truck and getting the rest of the hay out of that field.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
At least the temps are doable for testing, standing in a hot barn with flies is annoying and more tiring that doing it in pleasant weather.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
That generator place with the good deal but far away, could you ask if they still had that deal if you paid for the travel? Or did they just decline the job completely because of the distance? They didn't have any competitors in your area they could recommend?

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Feast or famine.... I planned to see about doing them next week.... oh well....that seems to be the way lately, a week or 2 crammed full and then a week of none or maybe one... I am liking the weeks of NONE....

Me too... :lol: :old

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Quick check in. Went to PT early, then to the sharp shopper groc discount place. Got a bunch of stuff to stock up on...
Left there and went to the farm where I get milk and picked up his couple of samples, and info, got my 2 gal bucket of milk and came home.
Car unloaded, stuff in fridge. Dishes done, sandwich made for lunch and getting ready to go out the door to put in the short hoses and go test the herd that I stuck in for this afternoon. Going to go to the barn and do the 3 calves first, on the way.
Would you believe that I got a call from a farm that quit testing about 4-5 years ago... wants to get milk samples done on the cows again... not going to go back on full test like they used to be as they have been keeping their own records... but he is having trouble with his SCC (cell count) and needs to find out the problem cows.
I couldn't believe it... soooooo... guess I will find a day next week to do him.....could not believe it....
And I was talking about cutting back and retiring????? :gig:lol::idunno
Yeah, right!!!!!

Latest posts