Farmerjan's journal - Weather

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I hadn't heard that about Loretta Lynn. That's too bad. She sure had a good run, was well loved and set the stage for other female country artists to follow after her.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh, so reliable....... MEN..... Got a couple hours sleep, got up was at PT at 8. Came home, changed into farm clothes... put the 100 ft hose in the back of the truck and the sample boxes and went and dropped them off. Got to the farm. The guys are supposed to be across the road from me with the equipment... corn field is across the road from the house...BUT NO ONE and no equipment there as of 10. Went to the barn and Chad was there and had to go get the tractor down at Deb's so I took him down and we unhooked the sq baler and he took tractor back to barn. I took and added the hose to the ones DS had so that we can add some water if the corn is too dry as they are chopping....help it to ferment (ensile).

DS called to see if I was at the farm and I said, yes, that I went with Chad to get the tractor and no, there wasn't anyone at the field when I left the house. So he talked to chad a few minutes and told him about a couple of things to do... and I started sweeping off the concrete pad while waiting to see what was what. I mean, here I am killing time. So DS finally calls back and it seems that they are not coming to chop until at least 1:30 now... So Chad filled the tractor with fuel and then was going to use the other tractor with the bucket loader and get some more dirt to fill around the back side of the blocks on the side against the bank... they had put in the drainage pipe already... and he has to drive on the slab so no sense in my sweeping any more of it off until he is done running on it. So, I left to come home. I told Chad I would be back later on... he was going to do what DS wanted him to do and then said he would sweep the pad when he got done if he had time... So, I will go back to the farm when I see them pull in across the road with some equipment because there is nothing else for me to do down there in the meantime.
I guess DS is working, he never said....

I'm going to get the rest of the stuff off the stairs so that whenever Chad has a chance to stop, he will be able to get up the stairs to look at the ceilings. It'll be a PITKnees, but good for them, to have to climb up and down the stairs a few times. They are achey this morning after all those hours on them at the farm last night. I need to start walking more again, now that the weather is not so terribly hot.

It is mostly sunny out, some passing clouds. 46 to start and up to 62 already at noon. Nicer the next 2 days... then cold 34 possible Friday night.
I'm going to eat some lunch.
Have a funeral to go to Friday afternoon.... husband of a friend who sat down in his chair Saturday afternoon, and dozed off then just passed away, before she had supper ready....he was 69... 6 months older than me. Kinda is scary, and sad....after losing the milk tester at 62, and then this guy at 69, makes you really start to thinking about things....

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry about your friend’s husband. That’s a good way to go, but sure is tough on spouse and family.

I’m getting a little feeling that next year, your DS may have to find another Flunkie Monkey.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
he was 69... 6 months older than me. Kinda is scary, and sad....after losing the milk tester at 62, and then this guy at 69, makes you really start to thinking about things....
It's a number...age. sure, there are decline issues but, staying active, eating right, loving life will help. Did either of those already have health problems?

I say keep on keeping on! Not worrying about my check out date. It'll come when it does. You know I'm still going on with farm/life plans with no concern for age....I'll be 77 in Jan and just added a bunch of big goats to my farm. No consideration for my age, just theirs. :lol:. Three of them got out and I'm happy to say I rounded them up, put back in their field and did fence repairs. Guess I'm still able. At least today. They're still in and discussing escape. 😁 😁 :old

I'm slower. I come in muscle sore, tired and things still left to do some days...it's all good! 👍

Last edited:

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Basically I agree @Mini Horses .... it is a number.... and no one knows for sure when your time is up. It just is sad to me because it seems "young to die" when you have worked so da#n hard and then hardly have time to enjoy "retirement" away from a "punch a time card type job".... Makes me think about not wanting to work forever .....for someone else. But I enjoy the farmers in general... still there are days that "having to go to work" just gets in the way !!!!! And other days that it is a good "push", to get out there and get going.... and keep me from becoming too much of an old "curmudgeon"... hermit type....

Oh the being a little slower....I had been on the tractor finally, packing the chopped corn... when DS got a call that there were cows out at a pasture...I had just gotten off for a few minutes to stretch my legs out... so DS asked if I could go out there and get them in and see where the problem was... and fix it... so I said okay. He was doing the pushing and spreading with the John Deere tractor with the loader bucket and I did NOT want to do that.... and they were hauling it in there fast too with the 2 trucks... we were keeping up but it was a non-stop push.
So I went out to the pasture and found one board on the fence broken, only 1 cow out although there might have been others earlier...
Had to climb down the bank along the road... used an old board and some baling string and did a patch repair... reinforced it with an upright board so they could not keep on pushing on it so hard...
This fence is 3 boards, spaced too far apart, from a previous owner... and not well suited for cattle. This is the farm DS bought several years ago that near GF house...more fencing is on the list...have done some on one side that was non-existent.... but there are other more pressing things to do at Doug's farm... like the silage slab and sides etc....
So, not moving as fast, but didn't have any real problems... just slow and easy so I don't slip on that much of an incline.... only 1 out when I got there and she came in the gate so not a problem. I filled their mineral feeder, and fed 2 five gallon buckets of grain since they all came when they saw me... and didn't have to fight them either so not a concern putting that out either. I'm getting more steady and stable on my feet/knees....
Got back to the barn about 6:30. They had quit chopping and DS was packing with the backhoe as it is heavier... About 3/4 or so done with the cornfield, and I found out they are going to chop the sorghum-sudan tomorrow because the guy doing it is getting married Saturday and he wants to be done before they go away....
Hope there is enough room... there is alot of corn silage and the bunk is quite full....It will settle, but not much overnight....will take a few days to settle and get more "packed down"....

So, tomorrow I will go up and water this down a little more, in the morning....DS is going to get 4 more blocks that GF couldn't get because no one at the place knew where the 4, that were supposed to be kept back, were... guy that had them supposedly put back, was out sick.... if he can he is going to get 8 more... as they poured 4 more today... hope they are dry/cured enough so that he can pick them up with the backhoe. We are at least 12 short of where he wanted to be. But he plans to get at least 4 more. Then they are supposed to come around 10 and start chopping again... finish the corn and then move behind the barn to the back field and do the sorghum/sudan. That will go faster since they don't have to haul it but 1/2 mile from the back to the bunker....but it will also make it harder to get it packed as fast since they will be in there more often... I sure hope it fits....there was alot of corn... it was really tall....

I am headed for a shower and bed... gotta be out and going by 7:30 in the morning.....

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just a side note... gas jumped up about $.25 a gallon this afternoon... I filled both the subaru's and the little truck @3.32 gallon... it was 3.15 2 days ago. Gas at the stations 2 miles south went from 3.39 to 3.59 in 2 hours.
OPEC is cutting production... they are done with the release of the strategic reserves that lowered the price for awhile.... sans "artificially".... and now there is going to be a "shortage of gas" because we are now DEPENDENT on other countries for gas.....:somad
:somad:somad:somad:rant:rant:rant:barnie:he:he:mad::mad::smack:smack
STUPID...... it is going to get worse....

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just a side note... gas jumped up about $.25 a gallon this afternoon... I filled both the subaru's and the little truck @3.32 gallon... it was 3.15 2 days ago. Gas at the stations 2 miles south went from 3.39 to 3.59 in 2 hours.
OPEC is cutting production... they are done with the release of the strategic reserves that lowered the price for awhile.... sans "artificially".... and now there is going to be a "shortage of gas" because we are now DEPENDENT on other countries for gas.....:somad
:somad:somad:somad:rant:rant:rant:barnie:he:he:mad::mad::smack:smack
STUPID...... it is going to get worse....
Uuuuh, bugger. :(

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Gas prices rose all the way back from Texas to California. Regular gas over $6.50 and diesel approaching $7.00.
Scariest part is that Biden is releasing our reserves after selling a bunch of our reserve oil to China. And begging the Saudis for oil after insulting the crown prince. He is going to get us into a war and not even know why or how. Low on oil, low on military men and women, low on everything. Scary times. I miss Trump.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Gas prices rose all the way back from Texas to California. Regular gas over $6.50 and diesel approaching $7.00.
Scariest part is that Biden is releasing our reserves after selling a bunch of our reserve oil to China. And begging the Saudis for oil after insulting the crown prince. He is going to get us into a war and not even know why or how. Low on oil, low on military men and women, low on everything. Scary times. I miss Trump.
And it’s only getting worse. We were energy independent. 🤬 Very scary times.