Farmerjan's journal - Weather

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanksgiving is canceled. I have a runny nose and sore throat. Because of my sister’s health problems I stopped at a drug store and bought 2 Covid tests. I’m positive for Covid. Bummer.
Woke up to a full fledged cold.... runny nose, a little stuffed, a half sore throat... and didn't go to the poultry show like I really wanted to. Not worth running myself down and getting pneumonia...
Have you two been hanging out together without us?

Sorry you are both sick - hope it goes away soon. :hugs

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yep, we've been passing it to each other through 1200 miles (?) of telephone lines... oops, no more lines... just telephone wireless waves....!!!!:gig:gig:gig:gig:he:he.

Actually @Baymule and I were talking and it seems that I may very well have picked up a "strange to me" bug at the fence law meeting the other night... Thurs night.... then went to the farm to test on Fri morning in the cold... and felt wiped out Friday night.
Throat is not as sore this evening... just a cold like stuffiness.... AGGRAVATING.....

@Baymule sounds pretty yucky, and bummed out because of Thanksgiving being cancelled....:hit:hugs.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, another cold day... windy again. 25, up to 43... with winds in the 5-10 so feeling barely above freezing out there.
Sore throat is pretty much gone... might have been the cold temps that caused it with testing... no headache or anything, just a runny nose... he// I have a runny nose half the time out there in the cold anyway....
Didn't do much today, let the chickens out of the crate.... put them in about 4:30 then went to help DS move the rake to the field that needs raking... he decided to move it with the truck and just hook it up to the tractor there instead of driving the ford with no cab... I will use the bigger Agco with the cab on it...
Of course, that one tire on the rake that kept going flat, then seemed to stay up, was flat after not using it for 3 weeks....so we ran back up to the barn and got the air tanks filled and came back down... got it blown up and then he unhooked it from the tractor, hooked it to his red bale truck and I followed him with the flashers since by then it was dark... got to the field, he took the discbine up the hill at the farm to the shed there, and unhooked it, came back down to the hayfield and we hooked up the rake, got the hydraulic hoses all hooked up and unlocked the bars that the rake wheels are on so that I don't have to do anything except put some hydraulic fluid in it (neither of us had an adjustable wrench because I keep one in the tool box in the ford and we didn't bring the ford tractor) since the one hydraulic cylinder on the rake has a slow seep/leak.... and should be good to go.

We talked about the explorer, and I am going to go get it tomorrow... GF sister (J) finally got it cleaned up and she said she listed it online, but had not had a chance to get it to the place I wanted to park it for sale... DS said she would not even answer him back... but then they all went hunting yesterday... and he finally caught up with her and asked what the deal is... and she said she had it cleaned up and just hadn't had time to take it to the place (which is 5-6 miles from her house)... and needed to get someone to take her back home... and he said well, mom said she would be glad to give you a ride but you never answered her either...
DS said that GF and J are the same, when it is something they want to do they want to do it RIGHT NOW, but when it is something that is not "theirs or their father's"... they procrastinate... he said you can't rely on them to do anything except when they get around to it....
So, I texted her this evening and said I had someone that was maybe interested in it, that I needed to drive it to work Tuesday, so wanted to come get it Monday.....and she finally answered me back and said it was all cleaned up and she put it online, and she was sorry she hadn't gotten it up there to drop it off...
Her mom works 1 minute (around the corner literally) from where I want to put it with the for sale sign... she could take it up there when her mom is getting off work, and her mom could take her back home... they live right next door to each other!!!!!!!..... So I said that I would get it sometime tomorrow but I had to get a ride.... but do you think she would even offer to come get me at my house after she drops her daughter off at school in the morning like when she came to get it a couple weeks ago????

I told DS no hard feelings, but it is the last time I will do anything like this... he said he understood and that it was better if I did not get involved with either of them doing anything because they only "jumped on things" that suited them..... I also will not be asking her to do any cleaning of the cabinets as it will be "whenever" , before she would get to them....
I put things off, but not things for other people... mostly my own stuff... and not when I am going to get paid to do things.... I will pay her for the cleaning/detailing whatever the guy down the road gets... and if she does get it sold from the online advertising I will give her something for it... but I am going to put it out at the shop where it can get seen... and drive it, occasionally locally, into town and such with the for sale sign in the window...

So, hopefully I will get some bites on it.... being it is like new inside, LOW LOW miles, 4x4, all that stuff... It has 3rd row seats that have never even been sat in....

Hopefully, the outback will be done so I can get it back by tues/wed.... I will take the explorer on Tuesday; put down a piece of cardboard in the back so the meters do not get it dirty, then see about putting it at the place across from the Pilot truckstop. DS told me to drive the forester closeby here to make sure there is no other leaks or anything since he replaced the hose... I didn't go anywhere yesterday or today with it....and to recheck the radiator levels since he had trouble getting the air out of it... then it should be fine to use again.

I am going to watch another movie I guess.... then try to go to bed and get a decent night's sleep. Tomorrow I will go up around 12-1p.m. and see about raking that hay so it will get turned up to dry more, and he is planning to bale it Wed. He said he is just going to roll it. His shoulders are hurting more and more from the wreck with the mule... he said they just seem to get more and more painful... I think it might be in his spine but I cannot convince him to go see a regular chiropractor... and I am not going to get in that fight.... But he is not able to throw the sq bales around and stack them on the wagon. This would make good sq bales, but maybe he can cover this hay and keep it for calf hay and the sheep since it is a good soft bladey type grass hay.
He is moving the cows home from the one place that are due to calve, and going to take some of the steers up there since there is so much grass still there... Going to leave the bull and one cow that was open when he moved them there, they "know the place" so hopefully the steers will stick around with them.... The cows that were due at the other place have all calved but maybe 2.... think there are 12 or 14 there... they will come back, get tagged and matched, and go to the place next door to me... in fact, they can go there even if not matched, and I can watch them and match them since they will all go there... won't matter as much who belongs to who as long as that whole group goes together...

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wow, that’s really something that your DS actually admitted that the GF and her sister are unreliable.
So sorry that she has put you off and not done what she said she would. If nothing else, you can always sell it to a dealer.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Agree about DS. He's had some conversations with you, of late, some sharing & inviting. Maybe the "honeymoon phase" is wearing thin. You know he's been thinking on it for a while, before saying. Reality happens. Your water hose got switched out, too.🤗🤷

Glad you're feeling better....and Bay, too.

Everything is white here this morning...frosted @27.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Tuesday night. HOORAY the weather has turned and we are having more "normal" temps... 35 last night and up to 60 today. Felt almost like a spring day compared to all the 20's and 40's with the cold winds we had.

Cold hit me back with a slap today... but I guess it was to be expected...Last evening, DS called and asked me to go to farm, GF found a cow in the calving pasture with her back down the hill, and a dead calf.... needed me to go help her get it turned around so she could maybe get up. He was at another pasture, loading the 2nd load of bred cows...
So I went up there, we finally got her pulled around and DS got there.... but I was out there in the cold and got another chill... and felt it this morning with a cough and feeling a little rough. Nose is running, and I am a little hoarse....
Yesterday I did go get the raking done. Tire was flat so glad I took the air tank again. But all we need to do now is get it blown up enough to get the rake back to the farm where it will get some maintenance work done. Needs a new wheel on the spindle on the back (double wheels on each side, so we got away with it only having 1 wheel for the last few fields) new tire for the one that keeps going flat... some new "teeth" in several of the wheels and replacing the one hydraulic cylinder that is leaking.
DS was going to maybe bale today or tomorrow.

I did not go get the explorer last night with the deal with the cow being down. Didn't feel up to it today before I went to work. I will get DS to take me over there in the next couple of days to get it and that will be the end of all this.
As of this eve, DS texted me and said the cow hadn't gotten up... he was going to use the straps and sling to see if he could get her up. We gave her a tube of Cal/Phos paste for weak cows at calving... it helps with the weaknesses from things like difficult births and milk fever... has dextrose in it for energy too..... She is an old cow, this was going to be her last calf. Turns out she had a dead calf 2 days ago, so had twins, and this second one was also dead. He said she had calved over by the fence and he didn't bother me about grafting a calf on her , since she was so old. Was just going to let her dry up and then sell her. This second dead calf may have been too much for her. He said she was as big as a house before she calved but never suspected twins. But he hadn't seen any afterbirth with the first dead one..... We have had a few "delayed" births of a twin over the years. Guess tomorrow will tell. With the warmer temps maybe she will get some strength and get up. He took water and some grain up to her twice but she didn't seem to want much of it.

I did go test the cows this afternoon. Only 80, which is half of what they used to have... it went well and milking was only 1 1/2 hours.... Got there at 3 and left at 6:30... had to set up and then pull down all the meters. Will pack the samples in the morning to send off. UPS and the lab are working on Friday so they ought to get there & get run through the lab on Friday.

I'm going in to get a good hot shower and go to bed. Deal with everything else tomorrow. Also, got another mouse.....

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry about the dead calves. I hope the cow can get up or you’ll have to deal with a dead cow too. Do y’all bury them? Here we can do whatever we want. Drag them to the back for buzzards and coyotes to clean up, bury or pay to have them hauled off.

You got chilled, so here comes Round 2. It’s time for you to stop or slow down and take care of yourself.