Farmerjan's journal - Weather

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
I really hate it when DS1 ignores or argues that he can wait on one thing or another and it messes up the production schedule I have n paper. Then he wants to know why I didn't mention doing it. Well, I did, but got the "I'll take care of it tomorrow" thing. :barnie Although in my prime, I can't handle the large rams myself anymore. Hoping that putting in a proper chute at the farm in TX will help, and I can do some sorting on my own. DH is willing to help but is not very steady on his feet (needs a knee replacement on the "good" knee) which leads to him just getting in the way and not being to get out of the way soon enough. Plus the fact that he has gotten so deaf he can't hear what we plan to do or instructions to move one way or the other while we are working. He will be the designated tractor operator instead in TX, since we won't try to talk to him on the tractor anyway. LOL

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Kinda where I was with BJ. Even with all his replacement parts and boundless enthusiasm, he just didn’t know squat about farming. He was great at handing me stuff when I was in the chute with the sheep, and a wonderful set of extra hands. He couldn’t do the ground grunt work, so I abdicated my tractor throne and turned Marigold over to him. I was actually going to mow the pipeline myself one day, and there he was, moping around. So I felt bad and gave him the tractor seat. He delightedly ascended the tractor seat throne and immediately snagged that expensive fence, tore the wire and bent the T-post. Sigh……. And yet, the tractor was still the best place to put him. :) :)

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Tuesday morning. Been a long 2 days with this nagging cold/cough. It was cold and wet enough to be crummy all day Sunday. Not feeling good doesn't help. Then yesterday (Mon) it started out partly cloudy and we got about 10 drops early. DS was supposed to get off work at 11.... yeah, that never happens. We left the barn at 12:45.... he took the bale truck with feed and some sq bales and I took the truck & trailer so he could get in there and get them in before I got there. They all went in pretty good... there was one calf out that walked around and he opened a panel and it went right in. He got the trailer backed up to where he wanted it and the first load went on real easy. Of course, the wet ground and all made it so that we could not get the truck to pull out... spun, and had to use the bale truck and a chain to get it over to the area where there is some gravel and not as wet. Not fun but got it done. Figured that it was going to be that way all afternoon. He left and I stayed to "babysit" in case there were any that wanted to get out but they were pretty content. Fed another sq bale to keep them quiet and contented.

He got back and the 2nd load was not as easy as they were not so ready to follow the bucket. We make a smaller "alley" inside the catch pen to crowd them into and load. But got the 2nd load and off he went. The sun had come out and in that time it had dried up just enough that he didn't have the trouble and it just pulled out. Thank you for that. I stayed there... sat in the bale truck , read a book I had brought (been there done this many times in the past) and kept an eye on them but there were no rammy or pushy cows trying to get out.

For the 3rd load we couldn't get them to load. There is a smaller section that they kept going up to so we wound up changing the the corral panels.... got them into the smaller section and closed them off in there and then moved the "alley" panels to make an alley down to where the trailer was. It worked real good, once we got it set up that way. The thing is if they have too much room, they will go in circles and not go where you want. This way, they started down this alley and had to go in the trailer... Got the 2 little brand new babies in the neck of the trailer on top and the little bit older one went right in with it's momma... there are 3 that have been born in the last 2 weeks. So he left with them and I sat & waited.

He had called a friend to see if they could help and they had been busy, but then came by when they were done with their feed, so we sat and talked until DS came back. They helped him load the last group which weren't many.... we talked for a few minutes then I asked DS to get the bale truck started... I cannot seem to get the clutch pushed down and hit it right to get the truck started... need to try the right foot since the left foot/ankle doesn't straighten enough to get the clutch on this one truck depressed enough. Then I left with the bale truck and came on to the barn. DS got there a few minutes later with the last load, and I parked the bale truck to shine the lights on the chute where he backs up to and he said to go home since I was feeling pretty whipped. He is feeling better after being so sick the end of the week. He got some rest on Sunday with the crummy weather... after us doing all the feeding Saturday.

Of course the cows all need to get hay again... We figure 1 round bale per 20 head per day... with 25-40 in a field it doesn't take very long for them to go through it... so he usually tries to feed someone every day so as to not have so much to do all at once. So, there is a bunch of feeding he will have to do today since he didn't get anyone done on Monday. But, they are all moved out and all the calves will get weaned off anyone that is bred; after preg checks tomorrow. The 3 with new calves will get moved out and not get put back with a bull until June.
There are some nice calves in this bunch and some mediocre ones. This is a group of heifers that many were bought, that he didn't sell as open heifers and the guy he was selling to quit buying. Some are our heifers also out of our cows. So we had a bunch of heifers, and decided to just put them with a bull.... many we have no idea of their parentage, and some have done well, and some not so great. Once we get them preg checked and know the status, and then can look at what calves they raised this year, we will make decisions on who to keep and who might be sold. Since it looks to be a good market for breds, and all this spring, might be able to turn over some. They are young and the ones with the mediocre calves might do a bang up job the next calf... but that is the chance you take on bought ones like this.

The 3 that have the new calves on them are nicer looking animals... and since they got bred back so fast, are also good ones to keep for fertility reasons....

I felt pretty wrung out when I got home... feel b ad that I didn't help do anything at the barn but basically all he did was turn them in with the others in the lot. I imagine he fed a roll of hay on Sunday when he went to the barn in anticipation of them coming there... and until tomorrow, there is not alot to do except maybe get the 3 with the new babies moved out. We will get them in Wed, sort off all the calves so only have to run the cows through the chute. Then we will work Wed aft looking at calves and decide who did what kind of job raising their calves and go from there.

I have a farm to test this afternoon... put the meters and hoses in the car yesterday before I went to the barn since it was not raining much, just a few sprinkles. Then I need a few more meters for Thursday's herd and a different set of short hoses for that herd. Need to get my bottles in the tray for this afternoon, and then more for Thursday. Got a herd for Saturday afternoon and another farmer texted me for next week... so I sent him back a text and said any day but Wed... hoping he picks Mon or Tues. Still have 2 that did not answer me back yet.

Just ate a bowl of Cream of Wheat for breakfast. The weather is calling for more rain/showers today... colder than yesterday... which actually was pretty nice after the clouds mostly burned off. Hit nearly 60 yesterday which was nice... more rain/showers through this week and temps in the 40's... then dropping for the weekend into the 30's and low 20's at night. We really need a good cold spell to clear the air and get rid of some of these "cold bugs" .... this wet rainy chilly stuff is just a recipe for all this sickness and all.

Time to get things going.

Last edited:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’m sorry you have to deal with the crud. Feeling bad doesn’t matter for a farmer. We drag ourselves out there until we just can’t get up. I really hope you feel better soon. With the farms to test, you will be out there in it again. Just take care of yourself all you can.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
A few days ago I saw an article from Wallethub that gives best states for retirement. Based on cost of living, health service available, entertainment, recreation, weather, etc.

VA was #1, FL #2….since we already live here, we only need to retire to be official! :old :lol:

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
AAHHHH... RETIRE ???? Never heard the word.....:lol::gig:gig. Little surprised at the #1 rating... but it shows in the high prices, with all the people that have retired here, in the real estate market.

Weather went from wet and rainy to light snow flurries. Temps hovered in the 32 degree range. Counties just north had a bit more and most schools are on 2 hr delay. We were right on the line for rain/snow so didn't get much. Don't know if DS wound up working, never heard back from him yesterday.

Samples to pack, and vet this afternoon. Should be clearing out for the afternoon then another bout coming in tonight into tomorrow. Then we will be clearing out and 20 degrees colder. I actually will be glad to see some cold clear weather.

Feel for all you down in TX and other places that are getting so much rain. From drought to drenched. Yet to the west, some areas are still so dry. Been a year of crazy weather.

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm really sorry to hear about the calves. I have been super lax on vaccs for both Eva and her calves... using the excuse that they're all alone here.
Better carry myself down to T.S. and get myself in gear!
Seems my barn isn't the only thing I've been neglecting.
BAD Cow Mama!! :hide

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
The thing with "blackleg" aka clostridial bacterias.... they will lie dormant for years... and then you get alot of wet and they can just "explode" as the vet had told us years ago.... AND it is "normally" a spring - warmer weather - type of thing.... BUT.... you can just get forgetful, or you can just "plan to get them in" like we were going to do with these 2 calves.... and it was all of a sudden too late. With all the rain/wet/crappy weather it was just something we should not have let go.... and it has nothing to do with being a closed herd because clostridials are an environmental thing... our own fault no excuses.

Heading up to get things ready for the vet. Got the samples packed, and then helped DS with gates here near the house. Back here and getting things together to go drop off samples and go to barn. Taking a bucket to get chicken feed to bring home.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Another reason I stay with goats, chickens -- these old minis until RIP. can't keep everything in rotation and work and....life. So, I buy beef from Jan! Sometimes dead chicken 😁. May do a few chickens here this yr....excess roos from chicks coming.

Last week was catch and vac several with CDT shots. Before that worm 15. Need more CDT vac for this weekend group....have $150 of wormer ready, that used to cost $45 for same! 🤨😫triple cost. 😱. Meds, preventatives, supplements, etc, all on hand but wallet out hundreds!

It's difficult to be frugal.