Farmerjan's journal - Weather

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you can't find the freezer key, just get a wide piece of velcro long enough to go from the freezer cabinet over the top of the door and down on the door. Glue the hook piece on the top of the freezer cabinet (or side) and the soft part on the door itself. Make sure that it will overlap to hold the door closed then you need it to. Easy fix if you can't find the key. I used that trick with toddlers before some of the (baby locks) came out.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Duct tape is fine if she doesn't want to get in it gain but she uses the freezer. The velcro works great - just get the velcro that is about 2-3" wide and make sure it is long enough t go around corner of door when closed to latch onto the other part. You can get the kind that is self-stick, or glue it on with Gorilla Glue. You can still open and close the freezer easily. Or find the freezer key. LOL

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Tuesday... got things done and tested ..... set up and pulled down, home and tired out. Did not call cows in aftert getting the samples packed and other stuff done. Did go up and take a salt block and checked on them. Ddin't get home until after dark...

Today (Wed) morning got the samples packed and with clouds and little sun, but a decent breeze... Got the few clothes off the line that I had hung. Temps started at 44 and looks like it got up to around 60 even with the clouds. We only got a few sprinkles out there though.
Dropped off the samples, then went to the pasture. Managed to get a good number of heifers in, 3 still out... Finally got one more in and then just quit before I upset the other 2.... one is a miserable witch and doesn't like to go in .... she belongs to DS... the other was mine and she had gone in then came back out and I didn't want to chase her... then she followed the stupid one...
I texted him and he came up and sorted through some of the older ones to see what he wanted to keep... wound up turning back out 7.... 2 may already be bred... they were at a pasture last summer where the neighbor's bull got in... There were 2 I thought would have been bred, but both have had heats since then....one of these 2 looks bred and she is a big heifer so not a big deal... the other is a little younger... but looks like she is making an udder.... they were supposed to get shots of lute when he brought them back from pasture... but they got dumped out at the nurse cow pasture and then it was never convenient for him to do it.... I no longer ask after the first or 2nd time...
So, the bull will go in up there in June... my longhorn will be able to get bred back.... staying there... and there is another cow there of his that can stay or go... she is small, raises a nice calf though... so wherever she gets bred is fine.
So anyway... I did not question his sorting... one of mine is there, and there were 2 of mine that got moved to doug's farm... those 2 are just yearlings and I would like to keep them for cows but with prices being as good as they are, they might go....
He also told me that tomorrow he plans to get the rest of the calves in, sort out all the steers, and see how many as he now he is talking about selling them on Friday... so I guess the bull sale is out... But then again, he changes his mind so much, I am not counting on anything.
The heifers; they are going to "sort" out the 35 that need to go to WVa for the summer, and then the ones he is going to get spayed to go to VT.... and then there will be some others and some oddballs, that will go to the sale in Harrisonburg..(on saturdays)..... a few of mine that are dairy/beef cross that will do better there... and the couple of steer calves the nurse cow raised last year as they are dairy x also....Even if they matched his steers, I would not allow them to get sold in his groups as it was the single one of mine that caused that group to bring less 2 weeks ago... he did admit that he allowed it to go in the group but shouldn't've put it in there.... I will not let any of mine be the cause of his cattle to take a "hit" again... even though he didn't exactly blame "my steer" since he agreed with it being put in the group.... he should have made them cut it out in the ring so his did not take the hit...
I am done with his subtle "blaming" my animals for things like that. He has one that looks like it has some dairy in it so he may want it to go in with mine... we'll see....
And my cattle always seem to be "in the way" when he is sorting and such.... it is like he acts that my cattle are put there to purposely annoy him.... I just am not going to deal with it anymore.... When he asks my opinion when he is sorting them, I just agree with him now on his cattle.... not giving any more than a generic opinion anymore. It just seems like it is a constant battle of "his verses mine" any more.

Got one bigger heifer that is pretty nice looking of mine that has some dairy, and was considering keeping her, but she acts like a jerk and is too high strung... more money in my pocket and less problems to listen to him B#@ch about. Right now prices are good, not keeping any that aren't TOP NOTCH..... might even sell a few more better ones....might sell the black twin off the longhorn from last year... she is a nice heifer.... Jess has a new bull calf this year... it will be beef since it is white/speckled.... definitely takes after her not the bull... same sire as the twins from last year so go figure....

I'm going in to take a shower and wash my hair. It's late but this way it is done. Have no idea exactly what is going to take place in the next 2 days with him. He was going to GF daughter's ball game or practice or something and then drop the 4 wheeler off as GF offered to take it to the place to get something done to it... so he will be all in an upset mood tomorrow again.... tired of the BS of him constantly setting himself up to get hurt again and again....

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
The guy in VT wants to try spayed heifers this year.... spaying stops the "hormones".... he runs them all in one herd so they won't get bred by the bull.... he kills 1-3 a month now as the meat business has gotten pretty good and steers would also be just too outrageously expensive to buy this year.
He has some beef cows and buys a few weaned calves from a couple of other people but cannot keep up with the demands of the beef business. it was a good thing for us when DS was going to visit his grandparents in NH.... but with them gone now he won't be making a trip up twice a year like he used to.... he has some stuff to get from that the friend has it stored from my parent's place... and this will probably be the last trip. Although, DS got him a good red angus bull a couple years ago... and he said he will want to change bulls in probably another year... I think he is retaining some heifers, and DS liked the red bull so might be going up with a new one and buying the red one from him.... there are just not very many available up there I guess....

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Interesting that your son's friend has a "booming" beef business. Not because local beef isn't in demand but because we don't have enough slaughterhouses. The lady I get my goat from has to drive them 50+ miles to get processed. 40 miles to a different processor for the man I get the ground beef from.

Latest posts