Farming deer

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Those horns are interesting. Most antlers are sharpened when the bucks rub off the velvet before rut. I have seen horns like those and they had a special name for the bulbous shaped ones. I thought they might have been an anomaly. are those horns natural to that species? Are they always blunt and rounded like that? What kind of deer are they?
Thats how deer antlers grow, they dont get pointy until they are almost done growing and ready to shed. Search "deer in velvet" and you can see tons of pics of blunt looking horns in velvet and some partially shed that are pointy and some right before shed that are pointy looking under the velvet.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
@misfitmorgan is right. When horns are growing they are much rounder and all and as they reach the point where they have reached their full growth for that year, they will "slender out" and then they will get their points just before they start to rub the velvet. My brother raised reindeer and it was interesting to see how their horns grew. The females also grow horns in the reindeer. He preferred the females because they would have their horns all through the "Christmas tree season" which is the reason he raised them. He would use them at his Christmas tree lot, and rent them out to other places that sold trees. People loved to see them, and to take their pictures with the deer in the background. No, people were not allowed in with them.