Fat kid!?

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well the belly nothing to go off of my previous does looked doubled her in the stomach area not pregnant and they would look thin before feeding.
Ok, that might be the way she is...I think in the picture she looks pretty good, but at other times, she’s a porker!! But, if, it’s pretty much, just ‘baby fat’ I can live with a chubby goat. The rest are good weight. I’m feeding the kids separately from the moms. I’m only feeding Busty the mixed for milking. The moms get a little more grain due to being adults. Yesterday they demolished the hay...but they were locked up all day due to frigid temps. Thanks guys!! :)

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Exactly how old is she? You don't really have to wean until 3 months. We did dairy does so ours were bottle fed until 3 months. By then they were on hay. We don't feed grain to the babies unless fattening them for meat. What breed is she? She probably just looks fat after she eats. That is when the rumen is fill of hay or the milk stomach full of milk. Being able to feel rib is only something to worry about if these are dairy animals. /dairy animals have a more lean and bony appearance due to the shape of their bodies and bones. Ribs on a dairy doe should be flat in shape while on a meat breed the ribs are round. In young kids, I would not worry about them being too fat. They will slim down as the age. The only "too fat" appearance I would worry about is a very distended stomach with a thin goat. That could signal worms, particularly if their coat is scruffy looking. Then you might want to worm them.

That little girl looks great!

SaanenMom

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
With the blue eyes, I would say Nigerian or mini Saanen. Thought at first Saanen til I saw the eyes and body type.

Laura