Fatal Deformity....WARNING GRAPHIC PICS.

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
Greybeard.....no problems with the remainder of his offspring.....we have about 50 of them (the only offspring he has ever/will ever have). He was, however, in a fatal argument with our one-eyed ram (who lost his eye to another ram!) and had to be euthanised (by the vet) when he failed to recover from a severe head-butting injury.

I'm just realising how complicated the whole of my sheep breeding has become! The Blue Faced Leicester ram who was euthanised after his severe concussion was borrowed from the neighbour who shot our ewe today. (I'm a pacifistic vegetarian who couldn't shoot a clay pigeon.....but I haven't a problem with the responsible use of firearms by people with the knowledge/ability...and firearms licence). Thankfully there is a good understanding locally of the nature of animals and I am offering the single purebred ram son to the sheep farmer (plus whatever financial compensation he sees fit).

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the update.
Sorry it all happened. The old saying..'if you're going to raise livestock, you're going to eventually lose some' is never easy to have proven true.

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm so sorry about the loss of the lamb, and of the ewe as well. It's a heartbreaking decision even when it's the right one. :hugs

Gorman Farm

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I am very sorry about the loss of both your ewe and lamb, it is never easy.
I understand about the tender heart part of it, I do not think I could put one of my sheep down myself at this point either. I am trying to harden myself off by butchering the chickens and turkeys which is still hard as I love all my animals but it is the circle of life and as my other half says I need to toughen up. I had to cull a deformed baby chick the other day and I took it to him with tears in my eyes and he relented and did the deed out of my sight.

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
Gorman Farm I NEVER intend to dispatch any of my animals.....I just couldn't do it. Maybe there is an element of absolving myself from that responsibility, but I prefer to ask my neighbour who has farmed sheep ever since he left the cradle and knows when they cannot be saved. Also I don't have the means (a firearms licence or a gun), so I don't really have the ability either.

I keep chickens, too, but I don't finish them off myself. Being veggie means that only the dog/cats benefits when they are culled (too many roosters who fight, extreme age etc). As for plucking, skinning and butchering a dead animal, then I have no problem whatever. When the farmer friend suggested we opened the dead ewe to find out as to why the pregnancy had gone wrong, it was me that pierced the head of the dead lamb to confirm the presence of the large amount of brain fluid.

Having witnessed euthanasia by the vet of a number of animals of mine over the years (dogs, cats, sheep) etc. and watched the shooting yesterday, I have to say that the ewe's death was a lot quicker after the shooting (neighbour has had guns all his life) than by the fatal injection. I've also spent all day at an abattoir so that I can see how the industry over here deals with meat production. Though I can handle those things, I could never do them myself.

I guess we all have to operate to our own rules, even if they seem a bit odd to others.

Sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
So sorry to hear about the loss of your ewe and lamb :hugs I'm glad you had your kind neighbour to do the deed and assist you with this. I used to butcher pigs and I often got a friend to come shoot them for me, as it was the quickest and most humane method available.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have nothing to add that hasn't already been said but wanted to thank you for sharing this. It does all of us a lot of good.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am very sorry about the loss of both your ewe and lamb, it is never easy.
I understand about the tender heart part of it, I do not think I could put one of my sheep down myself at this point either. I am trying to harden myself off by butchering the chickens and turkeys which is still hard as I love all my animals but it is the circle of life and as my other half says I need to toughen up. I had to cull a deformed baby chick the other day and I took it to him with tears in my eyes and he relented and did the deed out of my sight.
I butcher my own chickens and I say a prayer for each one. I thank it for it's life, I thank it for in it's death, it feeds us. I thank God for providing us the means to raise and harvest good food, Amen. It might sound corny to some, but I respect the life of all creatures and I give mine the best life I can before they become food for us.