Fattening up a skinny horse - Update

Scout

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Well, I met this lady who needs to sell some horses, so I'm gonna get a skinny little yearling colt. He's been wormed, no shots this year yet, and he has free choice hay and grass... But you can see his ribs, hip bones, etc plain as day... I believe she's feedin him free choice hay and grass, she seems to really care about her stock, but usually (not always) the ones we've kept on pasture and hay are fine, this little guy's far from it. I aint blamin the lady at all (before some people say she's cruel for lettin it get to this point) cuz at least she's tryin to get him to where she knows he'll be taken care of, BUT what would be ya'lls prefered method of puttin some meat back on him? He aint the worst I've seen by far, but he's the worst I've personally dealt with.

Warped

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
What about feeding him some grain?

He could have parasites or another underlying problem,so maybe speak with a vet about the situation.

Scout

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Well, I mean besides that. I know to feed grain, I've been around horses my whole life... What I mean is, is there somethin else I can do (in addition to the grain) to help him along? I know he aint been grained much (he has had a little now and then) and I'm tryin to think of ways to put weight on him a little faster than just that (I aint expectin it to be instint at all, I'm just wantin to know if there's somethin else to help the process go smoother and a tiny bit quicker.)

mully

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Take it slow ..give extra grain slowly and be patient and in 2 months you should see a big change.

Warped

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
mully said:
Take it slow ..give extra grain slowly and be patient and in 2 months you should see a big change.
agree,,

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
you can do a few things to help get weight on the yearling.the 1st thing id do is take the horse to the vet.have it wormed.an have the vet check his teeth.they could need floating.buit start the horse slowly on grain.you dont want him foundering or colicing.

Scout

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
wynedot55 said:
you can do a few things to help get weight on the yearling.the 1st thing id do is take the horse to the vet.have it wormed.an have the vet check his teeth.they could need floating.buit start the horse slowly on grain.you dont want him foundering or colicing.
Well, he's been wormed already... I know he's gettin some grain, not much though, and not regularly. They have a weight builder on the market nowadays, is it any good or should I avoid it like the plague?

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
Find out what he was wormed with....and if it actually got into him. If it wasn't ivermectin, have a fecal run. Or run one anyways.

I like beet pulp, soaked in hot water to re-hydrate it first. Never feed it dry. Start with a handful of dry beet pulp and put about an equal amount of water, let it stand maybe a half an hour. Mix it with his grain. Gradually increase the amount if he cleans it up. It can take a week or more for some horses to accept the taste and texture, others like it right away. If you can get the kind that is sweeter, they'll take it better.

He shouldn't be that skinny on free choice hay and grass, unless it is REALLY bad quality or he was VERY wormy. Most healthy horses that are not in work can do fine on good grass and hay, even yearlings. Unless he is still really wormy, he should do great on better hay and a little grain and beet pulp.

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I used Purina Hi Fat-Hi Fibre for our adult underweight pony, free choice alfalfa mix (grass hay too) hay, lots of water, a mineral block in the field, and she is on pasture 24/7.

We fed 1/4 scoop of the grain 3 times daily.

On beet pulp, I have NEVER been impressed with beet pulp and I would NEVER use it. We had to feed it at a stable I worked at boarded at and I would NEVER feed it if I had the choice. There are many other feeds out there that work better, and I have always had success with Hi Fat Hi Fibre, if you can get Coco pops they are another great Hi Fat Hi Fibre with more sugars in them.