shepherdO

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Okay, so I'm going to be sending my two old rambouillet-suffolk gals of to butcher at the end of October, as they're getting on in years. Both needed intervention (only 1 of their 4 lambs survived), although both fostered a couple lambs.

I'm wondering how to beef them up a bit between now and Oct 29, the butcher date. They're on very sparse grass right now (August is not kind to grass up here...) with some hay at night. I've moved the thinner ewe to our back yard lawn area which has more grass, and she's enjoying this upgrade to about a quarter acre of nicer grass - definitely enough for a couple weeks for her.

Question: what's the best way to get some weight on her in the next couple months? I assume I want to be careful re: not putting too much fat on her as opposed to muscle/meat. Not sure how this works. She's currently on a bit of beet pulp and about 1/2 lb of sheep text/grain at the moment, although I will probably increase to 3/4 and then one full lb of grain per day.

Is that the most effective way of getting her to a better butchering size in two monts? Ie, about 3/4/-1 lb of grain supplement?

Any other tips would be much appreciated! There's not much info online re: fattening MUTTON as opposed to lamb.

Thanks, Dan

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think you are already there. If you feed a lot of extras, you will get fat, not meat. Maybe give them each a handful of BOSS daily.