Favorite fiber?

chandasue

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
It's midwinter, so what else ya gotta do other than sit at the wheel! I'm a relatively new spinner and experimenting with different wools and fibers to figure out what I like best. Currently working my way through a few fleeces of icelandic crosses that were too inexpensive to pass up, and I've spun some merino superwash roving and punta roving. (Edit to add that I have mohair but I haven't gotten the nerve to use it yet. It's beautiful but I don't want to mess it up until I really know what I want to do with it.) Icelandic is proving to be easy to work with but of course not as soft as the others.

Do any of you have a favorite fiber and why?

Anyone experiment with natural dyes as well? I'm collecting onion skins. :lol:

kitchwitch

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I love angora because I can spin it to very thin strands without it breaking. I'm also a fan of BFL. I HATE yak because it's sooo short and since I use a drop spindle I need something with a little bit more length. If I used a wheel, I might like it more.

pairadice

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have 2 favorites, CVM/Romeldale because of it's softness, and my CVM/Romney crosses that have the luster and longer staple of the Romney but are softer then Romney though not as soft as the CVM. Both come in a variety of colors too.

dbunni

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Love the angora ... and mohair ... they make such an awsome combination. Since most of our animals are in show coat the first time they are sheared, I have staple lengths of well into 10-12"! Talk about a soft fiber!

Latest posts