FDA taking antibiotics off the shelf 1/1/16 UPDATE AND FDA LINK

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just read in this quarter's ADGA News and Events, that starting January 1, 2016 the FDA will make all antibiotics formerly available over the counter and make them prescription. This includes penicillin, tetracycline, stuff like Albon and Sulmet and udder infusions like Today and Tomorrow. It is not suppose to include deconquinate or rumensin as that is in medicated feeds for controlling coccidia.

Has anyone heard about this? I could say useless things like I'm LIVID, but that would lead to rants regarding the intrusion of the government into daily life, and frankly I can take better care of myself and my livestock than some bureaucrat sitting in Washington who doesn't know chicken droppings about me.

How much do you want to be it is another overreach trying to prevent someone from getting something that could be used for something else just like cold medication where you have to go ask the pharmacist for the box that has more than 10 capsule just incase you wanted to make Meth, or you can't get real Pyrex because someone might use it to cook up Meth. I'm sick of being punished for what someone else does.

I guess I'm stocking up on what I use now... just think you will now have to depend on your Vet for your antibiotics. Nanny State, Mother may I.

(gee, do you think I am ticked off, or what?)

chiques chicks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
From what I found, this regulation applied to feed antibiotics, not injectables. It appears to be an attempt to keep antibiotics out of the food chain to help in curbing antibiotic resistant infections in humans.

Just my (uneducated) reading of the rules.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes, I had heard of this and from what I understand it will be in stages over a period of time then everything will be removed.

I agree with you @animalmom like everything else, we are in a nanny state... more and more stupid laws.

The thing that gets me is that all this is being blamed on the farmers and how this has caused this resistance. The data is NOT THERE!
It really has to do more with physicians writing scripts when they do not need to... then stupid (yes, I said STUPID) people not taking full courses, saving them up etc and they have put themselves in a serious position.
Overuse and improper use of anti-biotics in the "human" medical treatment has caused these issues.

I cannot have anti-biotics yet several DRs. over the past 2 years wanted to put me on one... when I explained my condition they said- oh well we will do a low dose. :th

UMMMM a low dose can still kill me.:barnie

Now I look at them and tell them they should better educate themselves on one of the fastest growing superbugs in the US.
I asked one doctor- "ok, Than are you willing to pay my $40,000 medical bill when this puts me in the hospital?"

From the small producer side-

Then you do have the small farmer that their food may never hit the "market" but throw an antibiotic at their animals as a guess... half the time not knowing the dosage or the actual course for a particular type of AB.

Few look at FARAD to see withdrawal info...

On the other side- when a goat goes down is running a fever you have a short window of time to treat... when the vet can't get there because they have so many other emergencies your goat will die if not treated. I know given a sick goat or a sick horse the vet is going to go to the sick horse first. Usually the vet will say start blah blah blah til I can get there... with these new laws there is the possibilty that you will only be given individual doses.
Yeah- hows that gonna work.

:somad

Rant over.:D

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
My understanding is what @chiques chicks said, it is only antibiotics in feed and the feed producers have agreed and will no longer be making feed containing antibiotics. HOWEVER, if you live in CA, like lucky me, as of 2017 there will be NO over the counter antibiotics available at all. CA is so proud of their new law and the fact that they are the toughest one in the nation. :barnie Oh I surrender dear Govt. You are absolutely right, I am too stupid to know when my animal is sick. I must have you hold my hand and direct my every thought and action. :hide

Bad attitude for a future dairyman. Oh Well. Fortunately I have a good vet that will work with me and I will retire ( a second time) before she does.

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
@babsbag, the paragraph that dropped the bombshell was at the bottom on the enclosed letter from the district director. Here is the paragraph:

"Additionally, Board members were apprised of the FDA's requirement that beginning January 1, 2016, all antibiotics formerly available over the counter at most feed stores and online, will now become prescription-only. This includes such commonly used items as penicillin, tetracycline (Bio-Mycin, LA 200), spectinomycin (Spectam Scour-Halt), sulfas (Albon, Sulmet) and udder infusions such as Today and Tomorrow. It does not include ionophores such as deconquinate or rumensin which are found in "medicate" feeds used for control of coccidia."

I have not seen anything under the banner of ADGA itself informing of this FDA change, just that paragraph from the district critter. The way it is worded sounds like I would not be able to run into Tractor Supply and grab a bottle of penicillin but that I'd have to go through my vet... who like most vets are rarely available for phone consult and being in Texas hold the power to control prescriptions to the point of not giving you a prescription that you can then purchase the drug where you want. In Texas you have to buy from the vet.

This is just weasel.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I didn't see that letter, or I don't get that letter; not sure which.

That is very interesting as I have been following this closely and done quite a bit of research on it. I have seen no reference to this other than in animal feed, and then in CA. The FDA Animal Feed Directive doesn't take place until Dec. 2106. I even Googled it again last night and couldn't find any reference to it; the law in CA will limit all OTC antibiotics but that isn't until Jan 2018.

I have to buy from a vet most of the time too. But there are some that she doesn't carry and she lets me get them elsewhere, but seldom mail order.

I have to really wonder if that information is accurate especially since CA is touting the "toughest laws in the nation....much stronger than FDA rules" . I wouldn't panic yet...but then again I might. With kidding season just around the corner a new bottle of Pen G and Biomycin will be going into the cabinet. I am very very anti drug but if I have to make the choice I often don't have the luxury of waiting for a vet, or it is a weekend...Goats die quickly at times.

chiques chicks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have never used antibiotics on my poultry, not medicated feed ( I have a breed that can't use medicated feed). Now that I have goats, I'm sure at some point I will need antibiotics, and I will use them as needed.

I rarely take antibiotics myself, the last time I took them was a major impalement, but was a good, reasonable reason. They have there place.

My question is, what is their shelf life?

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@#!$%^&*()+ know it all do gooders :sick ... The liberal ( so called progressives ) who always operate on the premise of "we know what is best for you, then let you pay for it." :he Most Vets. are for it as they get a kick back for every prescription that they write. Get ready to bury many an animal that could have been easily saved by early treatment. Oh wait... you will ( at least in cal. now ) you have to haul it to a rendering plant or have it creamated as one can no longer bury it even on your own land. Think $$$$$$$$ out of your pocket and eventually puts you out of the livestock business and / or self sufficiency! :duc