Fee for renting a bull

cjc

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
1388651F-A7D3-4882-B0DE-AE23EE2A9157.jpeg
We got our first calf from our bull! This is our cows second calf and she literally spit that calf out faster than we could notice. She was grazing and then 20 mins later boom! Calf on the ground! Her last calf was very small as she’s a small cow but this one is a hearty size. It’s a bull calf and the little guy walked right up to me for a sniff 2 mins after he got up!

I always thought this cow was a red angus x jersey and the bull is a red angus but this calf also came out with the exact white spot his mom has. Any guesses on the cows breed?

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Nice sized and looking calf. White on the face is very often predominant in crosses if one of the parents have it. I would say that your guess could be right, she looks to have that "long" head/face that most dairy crosses/breeds have. The lighter / yellower color makes me think that she could have some Char or simmental in her with some dairy. The sims seem to get a little washed out in the tan color when a lighter color is crossed with them. Actually, since you aren"t so "black fixated" up there like they are around here, I'd say you did good with the calf. She seems to carry a good meaty body, so with the angus sire you ought to get a nice beefy calf if she milks good. Roly poly in a month or 2....

cjc

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Nice sized and looking calf. White on the face is very often predominant in crosses if one of the parents have it. I would say that your guess could be right, she looks to have that "long" head/face that most dairy crosses/breeds have. The lighter / yellower color makes me think that she could have some Char or simmental in her with some dairy. The sims seem to get a little washed out in the tan color when a lighter color is crossed with them. Actually, since you aren"t so "black fixated" up there like they are around here, I'd say you did good with the calf. She seems to carry a good meaty body, so with the angus sire you ought to get a nice beefy calf if she milks good. Roly poly in a month or 2....

I hope so! She raised a great calf last season. I grabbed this cow for $100 2 years ago. She was just about to get slaughtered and was about a year old at the time and I thought what the heck, I'll take her. She's an ugly little cow haha, but she is a fantastic mother! The calf is up and running today. Chasing our horse around the field, very sweet. I can't wait to see the next calves. The next cow to calf is a Holstein X Black Angus. I am going to have some real interesting calves this year! All very mixed breeds.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Mixed beef/dairy cows are good mothers. Lots of milk to grow the calves, and the sire is that nice little red /angus of yours. Calves will be 3/4 Angus so should turn out thick and meaty. Looks like you will have some nice beef this year. Congratulations.