Feed advice for milking doe, New goat mama

Amaggio

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Hi all, I've heard you should introduce feed changes slowly when you get new goats and i want to make sure i am giving enough grain to keep her in milk. Right now I'm giving her dumor sweet feed, alfalfa pellets, a handful of boss, as well as Timothy hay, and sweetlix magnum milk minerals. I've read about a cup of grain a day should keep her in milk but i didn't have sweet feed in my plans. I've been using it as a part of her gain allotment since that's what the pervious owner used with a handful of boss. Should i slowly switch her to something different or will this keep her in milk?

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
if your milking her its more accurretly a cup per gallon lf milk mine were eating 1.5quart scoops when they were producing less milk at the peak they were eating between 3quarts to 5 quarts of grain. i also feed alfalfa and coastal hay. i dont care to much for sweet feeds i feed mine a local brand of sheep and goat feed.

Amaggio

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
What's the real difference between sweet feed and normal feed? The molasses? I'll want to use what i bought but how slowly do i need to change their diet? Maybe when i get close to the end substitute 1/4cup of the new stuff for the sweet feed for a few weeks?

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
it depends on the ingredients of the feeds available. When switching feed you need to mix it slowly into the feed until the feed is solely the new feed.

Amaggio

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I noticed today that both the goats have clumpy poop instead of pellets. It's been pellets this whole time except for today. I looked it up, and since they are still eating, drinking, not boated, and very active I'm assuming they're stressed and perhaps i changed the feed a little to much at a time. I'll give them pro biotics today and slow things down unless you have a better suggestion.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
they can react pretty much over any change some are more sensitive then others. i had a buck who if was let out for a hour or so on the first day were they could roam the pastures would always get sick no matter how short the time. i would back off some and move slower give them a week to adjust to that amount the up it alittle and adjust as nessicary.

Amaggio

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Oh, thanks for that info! I've not read that one. Last night i tried to let them out in the pasture and they found the whole way so i put them back in their pens. Maybe that's what triggered it

Amaggio

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
By the way, have you ever had a problem getting your doe to eat their grain? I give her 1/3-1/2 cup while she's on the milking stand but she only eats one or two mouthfuls. She instead stares at me the whole time. We're a week in so i realize she's not fully comfortable with me but it's just a bit odd that she didn't demolish the grain

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
she might not like the taste. i also been known to give alfalfa when milkibg some of my does didnt want grain some day but would eat the alfalfa