feed for pigs

Yankees99

Just born
Reaction score
hello my name is garrett im new to owning pigs i was wondering what type of feed to start my piglets on.

Grant

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Pigs can eat about anything a human can eat, just don’t feed them meat products. In addition grains and a protein source are needed. This can be mixed at home or bought. They are especially fond of about any fresh fruit or vegetable that is beyond its useful use for your consumption. Of course a good fresh water source is needed also. Enjoy the new animals.

Yankees99

Just born
Reaction score
i didn't get them yet but i wanna know what to feed them.

Grant

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Young pigs, just weaned, should have a creep feed approximately 20% protein. If very young you may want to mix the feed with water or milk replacer. This has 2 benefits, 1 it makes the food more palatable and fights dehydration, a real concern for newly weaned piglets. Watch for scours, it’s common in newly weaned pigs, treat through their drinking water.

if I’m not answering your question give us some more details. Ask a broad question, get a broad answer. Details help. Also where you live and what you have available to you may be helpful.

Yankees99

Just born
Reaction score
like what's a good brand of feed i can get

Grant

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I personally don’t put much weight in brand name. Most any commercial feed brand produces a good product. What is best available to you and at a reasonable price that meets the nutritional needs is usually going to be just fine. Some folks swear by a specific brand...I just don’t think there’s that much difference. I don’t buy the most expensive or the cheapest. Purina, Nutrena among many others make a perfectly fine feed for your new babies. Show them off once you have them.