Feed going to waste.

BellaM

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm looking for suggestions to prevent/minimise feed (pellets) going to waste? I have NDG and Saanen (polled and horned). The NDG especially are naughty - they flip their "troughs" upside down and drag them around, so the feed ends up on the floor or wet if it rains or overnight (dew/frost).

The "troughs" are just plastic barrels cut in half lengthwise. I like using these because they have handles, they're light and very easy to clean but the waste is starting to outweigh the advantages.

I feed them twice a day which helps a bit. I've tried feeding them as much as they can eat in 20 minutes (previous suggestion) but that didn't work because they're used to free choice.

So, what do you do to prevent feed going to waste?

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Do you have any sort of "feet" on them? A picture would help to see what you have/make suggestions.

2x4 or 2x6 across each end so it is like legs sticking out will make them very hard to flip. Not as convenient to pick up and carry but not adding alot of weight.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Agree on end boards. Limit feed to what they eat....let them the have hay/forage/graze. Its too expensive to waste feed now days!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Free feeding leads to waste and fat animals. Limit their feed. They won’t starve although they will scream at you to tell you they are starving. They get full, then play in it.