Feed question re: Barley and Poultry

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The following is cut and pasted from a different forum. I'm not a member of that forum and don't want to sign up to just ask one question. I'd found it by doing a search on Barley feeds.

Barley is of lesser food value than wheat and maize. It has a lower protein and energy levels and tends to be regarded as a 'filler' In fattening birds it produces a hard white fat. It would be preferable rolled or cooked. The outer covering tends to have sharp spiklets (awns) which they dislike, so for this reason it is preferable to feed it rolled or softened by soaking. The other problem with barley is that it has a high beta glucan level, this is poorly digested by poultry, and it forms a gum in the gut which absorbs water so it needs a higher quantity of water to digest and results in sticky wet droppings. If you can get it cheap or free than by all means use it as a supplement but don't expect barley to be as useful as wheat.

Does the paragraph comment above mean that poultry, ducks, etc will age poorly on barley feeds? Or have some problems after a certain amount of time while being on them? What do you think about this?

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Barley is a decent feed when added to other grains. I have no problem feeding it. Same as oats and any other grain. One by itsself does not provide a complete ration. Some birds like it some don't . @Mini Horses is right about the scratch feeds.

That's very interesting.

Which birds don't like it that you saw? And was it because they didn't gain much?

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
My chickens love barley...they will eat just about anything, though. I entirely agree with famerjan....not an especially nutritious grain, so should not be the sole item of diet, but could form a fairly substantial part.

chickens really

Herd Master
Reaction score
During winter I added oat and barley crumble to my Ducks regular feed. They had the need/desire to eat more during the cold snaps. Definitely helped keeping the weight off but provided them with enough energy. I never saw any ill effects.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I cannot tell you who did and didn't like the barley. I don't spend that much time watching them eat. It helps to fill them up and with anything that breaks the grain down, it translates into more body heat being produced and the grains will break down slower so also add to the fuller feeling that they have.

AgnesGray

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Barley and wheat make great fodder seeds. I don't use them in other ways to feed my birds.