Feed storage bins?

Alexz7272

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Hello,

We are looking into bulk purchasing feed from one of several feed stores in close proximity. It is more cost and time efficient for us. However, we do not want to spend thousands of dollars on grain silos especially since we are looking at 1-2 ton capacity. Has anyone ever built their own large quantity food bins and/or have any advice? We will be designing the mini-silos with our CAD (Computer-aided drafting) software to get all the dimensions correct. We will be purchasing steel sheets from our engineering companies supplier then welding them. Ahh, the beauty of living with an engineer who refuses to pay for something he can build :barnie
Again, the plan has not laid out to its full extent but would anyone be interested in seeing the CAD design once we get them finalized? And of course pictures when we finally execute!
Feel free to call us crazy, my family gives me this look :eek: ALL THE TIME

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Have you considered poly grain bins? I looked into them almost a year ago, but never followed through... now that I am going to be moving to my own place instead of living at my parents', I might invest in one of these.

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
About 20 years ago I purchased a ton of grain every week to feed my horses and sheep. I used steel garbage cans with lids. Then I built a fine screen between the garbage can and the lid by fashioning a metal ring for a tight fit that was a spacer between the can and the lid with the screen all the way around. This kept the insects, mice , rats, and other vermin out as well as keeping consensation out too. Worked great !

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
@Bossroo, what size trash cans did you use? I bought a couple of plastic trash cans from Lowe's for about $15 or $20 each, they are 32 gallon trash cans, but they only held a little bit more than 100 lbs of feed at a time. (Maybe 125-130, but I only ever mixed a 100 lb batch at a time.)

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
We use 55 gallon containers with screw on lids for pig feed. We buy it from someone who has a Silo. Works great, except it's a pain to transport and I can't move it without help!

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My parents use one of those locking lid deep freezers to store their feed in. It's pretty much airtight and it holds a lot, 4-5 80 lb bags of pellets, maybe more. You can still find them around at junkyards and such sometimes, we found one a few years ago at an auction so snagged it up for a secondary. I use a big rubbermaid trash can for dog food to keep the stupid pigeons out.