Feedback Needed: Add Required Field During Signup?

Nifty

Herd Master
Administrator
Reaction score
This new system we're on has a lot of great features. One of them allows us to create a new field that is required for members to fill out during signup / registration. We can then display this field in their "postbit" (the area to the left of every post with the avatar, location, etc.).

For example, on my printer forum we require that new members enter in the model of printer they own, and display that below their Avatar on every post.

This does 2 things:
  1. It helps reduce the amount of spam since robots don't know how to use the field and other country spammers struggle with the question
  2. It helps members know more about their fellow members who are posting
So, we're thinking of adding a required field here too, but we need your help on brainstorming what that field should be. What basic information should we require of every member that signs up that would be helpful and/or fun to know?

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'd like to know what state/province someone is in. I know some people are reluctant to give out too much personal information, but hopefully state/province is general enough not to be worrisome?
Knowing what state someone is in also helps when answering some questions.

Nifty

Herd Master
Administrator
Reaction score
Maybe, "List your top herd animals you own:"?

Nifty

Herd Master
Administrator
Reaction score
Yes, definitely!

Latest posts