Feedback on Rant about asking health questions on critters

AkTomboy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
GRrrrrrr ~ Okay so I would like some feedback please ~ :rant

Maybe its just me but I find annoying when you are trying to puchase an animal and ask the normal rundown of health questions to get a reply saying that " you would have to spend hunderds of $$ more" on said animal and to go find a "regular breeder" :he

So am I not supposed to ask health questions, I find it better if a person trying to purchase on of my animals asks all the questions they like even if I can not provide the answers, or even the answers they want to hear.

I by no means wanted to offend the people I was just wanting to know the health of the animals, as we all know there is no guarantee that any animal will be 100% healthy its entire life. But how they start off their lives has a big part of the health later down the road.

Has things changed since the last time I purchased animals?

Sorry if this type of stuff shouldnt be posted here, I was hoping to hear from other farmer / rancher people

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
I would expect answers to my questions too. I want to know I'm starting out with a healthy animal. Obviously, you don't want to buy from that farm. Wonder what they have to hide.

AkTomboy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
ksalvagno said:
I would expect answers to my questions too. I want to know I'm starting out with a healthy animal. Obviously, you don't want to buy from that farm. Wonder what they have to hide.
Thank you for your reply, I was starting to wonder if I was even more off my rocker than I thought.

I replied to her first email explaining why I had asked what I did, the reply I got was I am "rude, hostile and not worthy of one of her critters"

I will also mention I have these same types of animals, for me I would rather one ask me questions. Even if I can not answer or answer how I think they want me to, it shows me they know what they are getting into. None of this ooo look at the cria, puppy, foal only to have a bit of time go by and they find out they spit, bark or need a good fence. Then having the new owner "not have the amount of time" they thought they had when they got them.

It is hard to find these guys anywhos up here, and I would rather spend my $$ in state but when people act like this its hard.

Thank you again for your reply

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
I would think that someone would be happy you are asking questions so they know that their animals are going to a good home. But then again, I started in alpacas and people were eager to make sure their alpacas were going to a good home. But even when I got into Nigerians, I expected all my questions answered and I bought from farms who were eager to supply answers. Good luck with your search.

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
AkTomboy said:
I replied to her first email explaining why I had asked what I did, the reply I got was I am "rude, hostile and not worthy of one of her critters"
This response was so awful it almost made me laugh...in disbelief. Thank goodness she replied in this way. Otherwise, you might've ended up with one of her diseased animals. She is obviously hiding something big.

lilhill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I agree. I want people to ask questions and they have every right to do so. It's their money they are spending for one of my animals. I give my customers a copy of the test results along with the care sheets and other paperwork. If a breeder hedges on providing info and test results, go somewhere else and don't look back.

SDGsoap&dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I totally agree. If the animals are healthy and the breeder is halfway knowledgeable they should be more than willing to answer your questions. And if they aren't knowledgeable they should appreciate the opportunity to learn about the things you're asking about.

AkTomboy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I hope she has healthy animals and that they find happy healthy loving homes for the babies.

I was just shocked by the responce, with me being new to the world of goats I have been asking lots of questions and no one has batted an eye answering any of the stupid things I hae come up with.

I have the animals she has, and have had them for years. I have also bred them and sold the babies, when people aske me questions I have no problem answering them even if its not what they want to know.

I was just very shocked by the replies from her.

Thank you for feedback :thumbsup

Emmetts Dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thats unpleasant...I would'nt do business with that farm at all. Obviously she is hiding something! Those questions are customary for sure.

Chaulk it up to expirence and keep looking. Good luck on your search! There are nice healthy animals out there with nice farmers who know their animals!

AlaskanShepherdess

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I want people to ask me questions whenever I sell any goats. Then I know they are more likely to be owners who will care about their goats rather then the too often owners I have seen in this area. They don't care if they are healthy, they don't care about anything except buying animals and keeping them as cheap as possible. :/