Feedback on Rant about asking health questions on critters

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would immediately bypass anyone who got defensive when health questions are asked.

As for her not wanting to sell you a critter because she thought you rude? I've done that before. A lady wanted to buy my sheep and she was a sweet, lovely woman...unfortunately her husband was a rude, sour, bigotted, ignorant man.

No way was I going to let my good animals be raised by someone of this class.....I gave them away instead to a home where the menfolk actually appear normal and nice.

Not saying you were rude to this lady at all.... but rudeness would be enough to make me turn down a sale. :p

carolinagirl

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Wow! If a seller treated me that way, I'd RUN away from that guy FAST. I recently decided to start a flock of registered Barbados Black Belly sheep. I was very pleased to find out there is a consortium of breeders that are interested in the preservation and expansion of this relatively rare breed. They are open and honest about health and genetics of their animals and want buyers to be fully informed. My first lambs arrive in April.

poorboys

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ive ran into alot of people buying and selling, if i know im selling to a person who is just starting out i give them a copy of medicines they might need and also a copy of when shots, vaccines and preventives need to be given, I'm always honest about my animals. I love them even if I'm selling them, if I run into a buyer who totally irrites me, I won't sell to them again. And I have had a few of them. they get knocked off my sell to list, as far as being a buyer, I ask questions, espically if I don't know the person selling, also I look over the animal, but when they get home I treat them like they never had anything done to them, cdt shot, worming, isolation, untill I know they are a healthy animal. I've a one person who I felt like was going to be a real problem, sometimes they except more from you, lowere cost, quarentees, whinging about past problems from other sellers, don't want to get papers, but ask if you'll hold papers for a couple of years,(because they might change there minds) after you sold at a lower cost to help them out. just know who your buying from and if they can answer questions and they are knowledgable buy it, if they can't walk away.