Feeders to Dinner Battle Royale

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
So I have 11 sheep now split into 2 pens: breeding group and non-breeding. I am feeding everyone 1/2lb each of grain in the evening plus all-day access to pasture.

The sheep are beating the crap out of each other at feeding time. The shyest /smallest ewes aren'r getting their share of feed. I am currently using fence feeder bins with one compartment per ewe. What do others use? I'm considering headgates like for milking.
20230430_212227.jpg

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
So I have 11 sheep now split into 2 pens: breeding group and non-breeding. I am feeding everyone 1/2lb each of grain in the evening plus all-day access to pasture.

The sheep are beating the crap out of each other at feeding time. The shyest /smallest ewes aren'r getting their share of feed. I am currently using fence feeder bins with one compartment per ewe. What do others use? I'm considering headgates like for milking.
View attachment 98577
I've got a 10ft and a 4ft bunk feeders in a 12x24 stall. It's made a world of difference. Wish I'd done it long ago, they are worth the cost.

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not understanding... spreading out piles in a longer feeder is enough to make sure everyone gets their share. How does that stop a sheep from pushing the shyer ones away?

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Lol. That's what they do. Greedy hogs.
I wish I could get the auto lock headgates for cheap. Much prefer them all locked up and eating vs dancing around, fighting & just being dumb.

A very long trough will let them act stupid, but still feed the more timid ones.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not understanding... spreading out piles in a longer feeder is enough to make sure everyone gets their share. How does that stop a sheep from pushing the shyer ones away?
I can't say exactly how it works - but it has for me. I had several Rubber Maid 50 gal stock tanks that I used for feeders. I always had feed bullies pushing others out of the way - they'd move from bin to bin even when they were freshly loaded with feed. I tried lining them up along the side of the stall and that helped a lot. When I finally got the feed bunks that all went away. For me it has worked. I have a friend down here with a lot of sheep (100 +/-)who used to feed on the ground and is now using the 10 ft feed bunks as well.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I can’t count the times I got knocked down, trying to feed sheep in a tub type feeder or a homemade trough. With the bunk feeder, I can pour it in over the fence. I still have a couple of small tub feeders that I go in to put feed in for the smaller or more timid sheep. I gotta be quick, the greedy pigs will run from the bunk feeder to eat from the tubs.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
spreading out piles in a longer feeder is enough to make sure everyone gets their share. How does that stop a sheep from pushing the shyer ones away?
It doesn't. The bigger ones will bully the younger, smaller ones no matter what. If the smaller sheep are lambs, then I would suggest a creep for the youngsters. Even though we feed hay, my ewes pushed their lambs out of the way to eat. I set up a creep gate into another pen and fed the lambs their hay in the creep so they would get enough to grow properly. The only way to make sure that each sheep gets exactly what you want to give it is to feed separately and that is not going to happen.

If you are bringing the sheep into a night pen, use longer grain feeders (bunk feeders) with plenty of space between them. Fill the bunk feeders with the grain or pellet ration before letting them into their night pen. They will rush to the feeders, but hopefully with several feeders spread out, everyone will get something.

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think I may redo the interior of the sheep shed. The aisle between pens isn't greatest for working sheep since they don't have to come in doorway. And I tend to smash my head when trying to force them thru.

I am going to make a feed bunk along the east outside wall and widen the 3ft aisle so it become round bale feeder area. The area between road and shed will become my working area.

Thoughts?