Feeding 30+ Nigerian Dwarf Does Grain

Anquan81

Just born
Reaction score
We have been giving all of our Does about a cup of grain each day, but with our herd now up over 30 does it is getting very hard to make sure that everyone is getting their share of grain. We have been feeding everyone all together at the same time, but the older bigger does are pushing the smaller does out and eating more than their share. Is there a good way to feed them that we can make sure everyone is getting close to the same amount without having to separate them to eat?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Not that I can think of. I feed my adults in large feed buckets on the ground and the young ones in smaller feed buckets a ways separate. I stand between the buckets and deflect movement of the big and small goats from getting to the other's food.You could pick out the does who look like they need a little extra and separate them out for feeding by themselves to ensure they get enough.

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you make a creep feeder, the smaller goats can go in there, the problem with nigerians is that pretty much full grown goats can fit into any creep area I could make as they are basically cats and do crazy yoga squishy moves with their bodies to get into the area with the best food. No kidding, a nearly 9 month old doe fit through a 6 inch square on the cattle panel, but when standing, she was at least 3 of those squares tall. You can teach them to each stand at a particular spot on the fence, clip them in with leads and hand feed all or part of them this way. Maybe teach the biggest, bossiest that they get their own dishes clipped to the fence, and then feed the rest communally, a few feet away and supervise, waiting to release the bigger girls until the littles get done? That is what I would try.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Spread the feed among more feed dishes, that will minimize the bigger ones pushing the smaller ones away.
We have as many as you do, and that's how we feed ours.
And, the ones who are being milked get extra on the stand.