Feeding Alpacas & Goats & a Horse

chicks & ducks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hi All

I'm a baby in terms of critter raising. Just want to get as many opinions as possible from WISE folks such as yourself.

We get our 2 alpacas(boys, not gelded-would appreciate opinions on that but will do a separate topic perhaps) tomorrow.

April 2nd we get our 8 month old paint mare.

Right now we have 2 2 week old boy(will be banded when 2 months old) goats. They're just on milk now with the option to eat calf manna.

So I'm thinking HAY HAY HAY.
I know the alpacas will need grain as well.((water's already available because of the goats)
Anything else?

What's the deal on alfalfa mixed in the hay? Is that a no no for alpacas? Or for horses?
Idealy, because we only have the few critters, the more feed they can share the better(save buying 10 different kinds of feed-though we'll do it if we need to).

Anyone have 2 cents to share?

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
If the alpacas are going to be pets, then more than likely they won't need grain. If you want to feed them a grain, then I would find grain that is specifically for llamas/alpacas. Of course it all depends on their condition. If they are thin, then they should have some grain. If they are optimum condition or over conditioned, then they really don't need grain.

The reason that alfalfa (or any type of legume) is usually a no no for alpacas is because of the protein. High protein will make their fiber course. If you aren't going to use their fiber or don't care if it gets course, then feeding alfalfa is no problem and then all the more reason that they don't need grain. You could always get a llama/alpaca specific mineral to put out if you feel they need minerals. My alpaca feed has enough in it that I don't have to give my girls minerals and they actually refuse to eat it but if I didn't feed any grain, I would consider it. Stillwater makes an alpaca mineral and so does Golden Blend.

Gelding the boys is important IMHO. You don't want to do it before 18 months old. But they hit 3 years old and the hormones can really kick in and they can get aggressive. Not a guarantee that this will happen but also if you geld them, their fiber will stay finer. Hormones also over time make the fiber get courser.

There is no way I would put an unaltered alpaca male in with the goats or the horse.

Congratulations and good luck with your animals. :D

Chirpy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I agree that they don't need grain except as an occasional treat. Minerals and special feed made for them are different and can be helpful for their health in appropriate amounts.

I would also neuter both boys at the appropriate age (around 2 yrs. old) because you have the other animals around and because it is just less stressful on them to not have those hormones raging. If you only had the two male alpacas and they would never be with other animals or other alpacas (especially any females nearby) you could leave them intact and they would probably be just fine. I have several good friends who keep 6 to 8 intact male llamas together all the time as a pack string... the boys are wonderful to be around UNTIL they get near a female... then those best buddies are literally ready to kill each other.

I disagree on ever giving alfalfa hay to alpacas or llamas except for two conditions:
1) females may (notice I said may) need some extra protein toward the end of pregnancy and while nursing;
2) in really cold weather (well below zero) giving some alfalfa can help them generate body heat to help them get through those cold spells. This is especially true if they don't have adequate shelter.

I feel that the biggest health risk in alpacas/llamas is being fat. Alfalfa hay is one of the biggest reasons for them getting fat (too much grain is another). They just don't need it and it is a detriment to them.