1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. All things Goats
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Feeding bucks for growth

Discussion in 'Feeding Time - Goats' started by Simpleterrier, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Aug 4, 2017
    Simpleterrier

Simpleterrier Ridin' The Range

Just a few questions.

1. what do most people feed to their bucks?

2. What minerals promote horn growth and strength?

Looking to raise two bucks for breeding. Want them to have great bone growth and strength. Would like them to maintain weight with out being over weight. Last would like great horn growth and strength. I am looking into down the road raising shooter Rams and thought I would see what I could do with these two young ones and maybe a few of their offspring before switching over to painted desert sheep.

PS. Don't start the you should or shouldn't have horns on. Your goat debate. Everyone can do as they want.

2. Aug 6, 2017
    babsbag

babsbag Herd Master

I can't help with horn growth as I don't do horns here.

As far as feed I do straight alfalfa and minerals I use Sweetlix Magnum Milk, but their Meat Maker is good too. If I feed a grain or goat chow I make sure it has Ammonium Chloride in it.