feeding bucks grain?

newbiekat

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have had my girls on full feed for the past 2 months. Grain and alfalfa hay, plus browse. They have done wonderfully on it... we now have introduced our buck who will be living with them for the next couple months. We have taken the grain portion away because of him, but have continued the hay. I would like to continue feeding my girls grain if I could, so
20150807_162943.jpg
I was wondering, if the grain we get has ammonium chloride in it, is it OK to feed to everyone? I added a pic of the grain we have been getting. On the ingredient list it has ammonium chloride listed...

newbiekat

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I dont know how to rotate the pic, sorry! I took it on my phone and its right side up on my phone...? :hu

I'm aware I need 2:1 Ca: P levels, which this grain seems to be... from what I see it's 1.3% Ca and .4% P, that's over 2.5% right...? But my main concern was the ammonium chloride, isn't that what I should be looking for when feeding a buck grain?

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think you are fine to feed your buck that. But you may still need to supplement him with minerals. I was able to blow the pic up so I could read it better this time LOL.

It is good to have ammonium chloride in bucks feed but as long as the Ca: P is ok (and it is) your buck should be ok too. I think your biggest issue would be the hay he eats. People tend to forget about the hay.

I keep AC on hand for emergency's, not many people have it around.

I feed Bartlett to all my goats and have never had an issue. :)
http://www.bartlettmillingfeed.com/images/bmc goat plt non-med white 0712.pdf

newbiekat

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thanks. I feed Alfalfa hay year round and it looks like the CA : P levels on that is 13:3, so I'm good there too, right?

Where would I be able to get AC and how would I know when to use it? Just when I see that he's in pain?

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
The alfalfa hay is fine IMO.

I know some folks who put AC in the grain and others in the water daily. Others treat when you see the symptoms.

How you want to do this is up to you. You can talk to your vet and see what he/she thinks about it.

You can get the AC from amazon, jeffers, Pipestone Vet Supply etc.
This is what I ordered-
http://www.amazon.com/AniMed-99-9-P...=1439334134&sr=8-1&keywords=ammonium+chloride

They upped the price a bit, but it might be better then Jeffers. They wanted to charge me freight for a 2 1/2 pound item :rolleyes: