Feeding doe raw bacon...

Genipher

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I was recently told that if I give my (hopefully pregnant!) doe a piece of raw bacon the day before she kindles, she won't kill/eat her babies. Has anyone ever tried this or heard of it before?

bluemini

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Genipher said:
I was recently told that if I give my (hopefully pregnant!) doe a piece of raw bacon the day before she kindles, she won't kill/eat her babies. Has anyone ever tried this or heard of it before?
I havent , but as far as im aware rabbits shouldnt eat meat . And I wouldnt do it , but some may . Never heard of it before :/

Snowfie

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Would a rabbit even eat bacon? Or would you have to wrap it in hay? Would that be the rabbit equivelant of wrapping something in bacon?

(that just blew my mind).

bluemini

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Snowfie said:
Would a rabbit even eat bacon? Or would you have to wrap it in hay? Would that be the rabbit equivelant of wrapping something in bacon?

I have no idea but I dont think they would eat it but then again never tried it .:idunno
Although I had a chicken that would eat chicken lol

Heartlandrabbitry

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Never heard of that one before! I really don't think a rabbit would eat bacon but then again who knows! :idunno

Snowfie

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
bluemini said:
Snowfie said:

I have no idea but I dont think they would eat it but then again never tried it .:idunno
Although I had a chicken that would eat chicken lol
Chickens will eat anything that'll fit in their beaks. Little feathered dinosaurs they are. I even heard someone tell of a chicken that gobbled down baby mice that had been born in the coop.

Rar!

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
I've never heard of this. But I do know that Dobby is attracted to certain meat smells. Like Hamburger, Hot dogs and Pork roll. And also Pasta with gravy. He perks up and wants to know what we are eating. I don't think he would ever eat it. Just curious of the different smell. You know how well bunnies smell.

I just wouldn't take a chance with a pregnant doe. :)

oneacrefarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Rabbits are herbivores and their digestive system is not designed to deal with meat. I would not feed this to your rabbit. Does do not eat their babies because they are craving meat, they do it when they get scared or if the kit is born dead. Once in a while you will hear of a rabbit that eats her kits for no reason, but this does not happen normally. Either they were trying to "protect" their litter from a perceived predator (I know, makes no sense but that is what rabbits do) or they are just cleaning up when the kit is already dead.

Shannon

crazyturkeydesigns

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
oneacrefarm said:
Rabbits are herbivores and their digestive system is not designed to deal with meat. I would not feed this to your rabbit. Does do not eat their babies because they are craving meat, they do it when they get scared or if the kit is born dead. Once in a while you will hear of a rabbit that eats her kits for no reason, but this does not happen normally. Either they were trying to "protect" their litter from a perceived predator (I know, makes no sense but that is what rabbits do) or they are just cleaning up when the kit is already dead.

Shannon
Yup! x2. I would definitely NOT feed any of my rabbits any kind of meat. Ever.

I saw this post and was a little... flabbergasted, I suppose lol. That is the craziest thing I have ever ever ever heard concerning rabbits.

Genipher

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. Since rabbit breeding is new to me, I needed some advice! I thought it sounded a bit strange!

I, too, was wondering if the does would actually eat it and if it would be good for them. I also wondered if feeding raw meat might cause the doe to eat her babies. It just sounds too "iffy" to me.

Since our girls have been successful moms in the past (so the last owner told me), I would assume they don't eat their young.