Feeding doe raw bacon...

CYGChickies

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
That's too funny because I was like "I hope my post doesn't make anyone mad" haha! Without tone of voice and facial expression this text communication is a delicate art.

CYG

runamuck

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I know u all think the idea is nuts..... but ...... I have used it with my english lops when I had an amazing doe who was known to eat the ears and legs off her babies..... Why bother u ask well this doe had amazing body type and ears and was bred to one of the best bucks I ever seen soooooooo...... thought "What the heck?" and it was the only litter she didn't stomp or eat..... Culled her and kept her kids who by the way were not so mental........ Have also used it on netherlands but a much smaller piece.... and a doe who had done it before went on to raise a litter of 5..... I am not a newbe been doing this rabbit breeding thing for 12 yrs been showing most of those 12 yr have had all diffrent breeds..... Talk to breeders many diffrent breeders and MANY use this when they have a doe who eats there young... MY 2 cents

crazyturkeydesigns

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
It's interesting to hear from someone who's used this method successfully....runamuck, do you have any ideas as to why the bacon works? I think that's the thing a lot of us are curious about.

oneacrefarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
runamuck said:
I know u all think the idea is nuts..... but ...... I have used it with my english lops when I had an amazing doe who was known to eat the ears and legs off her babies..... Why bother u ask well this doe had amazing body type and ears and was bred to one of the best bucks I ever seen soooooooo...... thought "What the heck?" and it was the only litter she didn't stomp or eat..... Culled her and kept her kids who by the way were not so mental........ Have also used it on netherlands but a much smaller piece.... and a doe who had done it before went on to raise a litter of 5..... I am not a newbe been doing this rabbit breeding thing for 12 yrs been showing most of those 12 yr have had all diffrent breeds..... Talk to breeders many diffrent breeders and MANY use this when they have a doe who eats there young... MY 2 cents
Thanks for posting this reply. I don't think the idea is nuts, per se. I know there are things that don't make a whole lot of sense sometimes, but they work great anyway. I just would not want a newbie thinking they should give a rabbit a whole slice of bacon or something like that....What I am interested in is WHAT exactly they are getting from the bacon that seems to help, salt...potassium...fat? Just curious...

Shannon

bluemini

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
oneacrefarm said:
runamuck said:
Thanks for posting this reply. I don't think the idea is nuts, per se. I know there are things that don't make a whole lot of sense sometimes, but they work great anyway. I just would not want a newbie thinking they should give a rabbit a whole slice of bacon or something like that....What I am interested in is WHAT exactly they are getting from the bacon that seems to help, salt...potassium...fat? Just curious...

Shannon
me too :thumbsup

Citylife

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Eating the young happens in many animals. If it continues to happen over twice..... I personally would cull that animal. I normally have other nice does I can just add to my breeding program.

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
This has turned into a very interesting thread. Thanks for all the responses. I've learned a lot and it did peak my interest why bacon would be a source to stop a doe that has in fact previously eaten a litter.

Salt seems to be the answer. To bring on water consumption.

Other concerns include a check of the water supply system to assure that adequate amounts of fresh, cool water are available and use vitamin/electrolyte supplements in the drinking water during hot periods. Adding electrolytes (salts) increases water consumption. If water is not flushed frequently from overhead water pipes during hot weather, the water may become too hot for drinking. The does may not drink enough water and cannibalism may result. All hot water in these pipes should be flushed at mid-afternoon.
http://msucares.com/livestock/small_animal/cann.html

:)

eta: Triple Thank you to Genipher for starting this thread. I learned a lot. And not just about bacon. :)

norcal

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Very interesting thread. :)

They do make mineral & salt licks, if that's the case.

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
norcal said:
Very interesting thread. :)

They do make mineral & salt licks, if that's the case.
Very true! I wonder if anyone was successful with that as with the bacon example.

But after reading the article, I think I'll watch my pregnant doe's water consumption to make sure cool, fresh water is available. Seems more diligence can stop it as well. :)

manybirds

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
rabbits shouldn't have meat. also if anything i think it will encourage her to eat babies if she grows a tiaste for meat. rabbite only kill babies if the baby is already dead or she is breed to young and dosn't know what to do